• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Rant; The AFC (L)East

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Don't think NE would have the same level of success, but would still be high. Would love to see if they were in a more physical division. There have been short spurts, early Rex and a few Bills teams, but they were rarely really challenged by a division foe, record wise.

it feels like at least 1 of the dolphins and jets are guaranteed to get the upset every year - but the fact is the pats are favourite in all 6 division games they play

Pats

Veteran
Oh jeez not this again. Look there's no use complaining about divisions since only the NFL has control over it. America loves having divisions in their sports and should abolish it and go the way of pretty much every other sport by making the league face every team within the 16 game season.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Oh jeez not this again. Look there's no use complaining about divisions since only the NFL has control over it. America loves having divisions in their sports and should abolish it and go the way of pretty much every other sport by making the league face every team within the 16 game season.
Yes but those other sports, which also have divisions I might at, play many more games than football

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Which means that the NFL makes even less sense that half the season is played against 3 teams in a 32 team league.
I agree with you on this part for the most part, but that is how rivalries develop.

redrum52

Hall of Famer

I'm still trying to figure out how the Cowboys play in the NFC East.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
In other leagues they develop through competition and geographical proximity and moments of infamy

Much more natural than teams having to play each other twice a year

I love the ravens steelers rivalry but it’s far less organic than Celtic/rangers or Barca/Madrid etc...
So our rivalry would be Ravens Redskins. I think I could deal with that.

Tank

Hall of Famer
They also play longer seasons lol
It’s insane that the football season is basically only 4 months long

Most international sports have seasons that run for at least 9 months sometimes longer
True, but I kinda doubt American football player careers would last very long if they played 31 games a year.

Last edited:

Tank

Hall of Famer
It could be made a bit more fair if teams played every team within their conference once a year, maybe switching home field every other year.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
It could be made a bit more fair if teams played every team within their conference once a year, maybe switching home field every other year.
And the top 6 make the playoffs.

I remember when their were 3 divisions per conference and there were 3 wild cards, p,us the division winners that went to the playoffs. There was a time when there was only 1 wild card, of course there was only 28 teams at that point.

Tank

Hall of Famer
And the top 6 make the playoffs.

I remember when their were 3 divisions per conference and there were 3 wild cards, p,us the division winners that went to the playoffs. There was a time when there was only 1 wild card, of course there was only 28 teams at that point.
More games, mo money.

Pats

Veteran
I'm still trying to figure out how the Cowboys play in the NFC East.
I's quite illogical. For example in our national rugby league comp which is the best league in the world, we do 24 games a season and though you won't play every team in a regular season, you will play rivals twice maybe 2-3 times a season. And then you have the playoffs that go for 4 weeks. Playoffs are not decided by divisions but instead on win loss record for rankings. And then in the english premier league they play 38 games a season and rivals are pretty much just made of everyone because everyone in england hate eachothers opposing teams lol.

Pats

Veteran
In other leagues they develop through competition and geographical proximity and moments of infamy

Much more natural than teams having to play each other twice a year

I love the ravens steelers rivalry but it’s far less organic than Celtic/rangers or Barca/Madrid etc...
Yeah exactly, rivalries aren't made simply due to being a division. Rivalries are made to close proximity and hatred for the city and fanbase etc. As I mentioned, if you look at the english premier league theres pretty much a rivalry between every team. I don't feel a real rivalry between the pats and dolphins, or the ravens and browns or the buccaneers and saints.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah exactly, rivalries aren't made simply due to being a division. Rivalries are made to close proximity and hatred for the city and fanbase etc. As I mentioned, if you look at the english premier league theres pretty much a rivalry between every team. I don't feel a real rivalry between the pats and dolphins, or the ravens and browns or the buccaneers and saints.
Lol you may not feel a rivalry between pats and dolphins, but I have a TON of family and friends who are phins fans and I’ve never met a phins fan who doesn’t have a very harsh hatred for the pats