• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Rant; The AFC (L)East

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I like that format a lot better than the current one tbh, even though its still imperfect. And LOL at the circumstances for the redskins and cowboys and the vote.
Most people, even redskins fans think the rivalry began because of George Allen back in the 70s and some because of the name (cowboys and Indians), but that’s just not true. Yes how they got the vote to come into the league is funny,

Pats

Veteran
Most people, even redskins fans think the rivalry began because of George Allen back in the 70s and some because of the name (cowboys and Indians), but that’s just not true. Yes how they got the vote to come into the league is funny,
I think i remember he MLB having equally as baffling old stories like that lol

Pats

Veteran
yeah no matter league position, derbies are always a big deal - Liverpool-Everton, Man City-Man UTD, Chelsea-Tottenham-Arsenal-(all London teams), Newcastle-Sunderland, Portsmouth-Southhampton, Birmingham-West-Brom-Aston Villa, Swansea-Cardiff

it literally doesn't matter how good or bad your year is those games are always huge
For sure, even teams that aren't close to eachother or even in the same division (so a epl team vs a league 2 team) is still fierce. I suggest you all read an english football teams forum, simply for all the banter and hatred they have for basically all teams other than their own.

I feel the only argument that could be made for this, I am pretty sure the Pats have never won when they didn't have a bye (and therefore 1 home game)
OK - I trimmed down the novel and am responding to the only part of the post that I think is relevant. It is very questionable whether or not the Pats were going be basically guaranteed to have a bye and in so many cases a #1 seed, if they didn't have a cake division. I don't think anyone but a fool would say that they are not the best run and only true dynasty in the last 2 decades - in a league that has attempted to build itself in a way that should prevent a dynasty from being possible.

But to say that playing in a shit division hasn't benefited them simply defies logic. They get wins that most any contenting team in the conference would get. It is virtually impossible for anyone else in the conference to take that spot. Let's say we switched with them and put us in the AFCE and they go in the AFCN? Do you think they'd have 10 straight division championships? I seriously doubt it - even though they've owned the Steelers, I can't believe the Steelers would have failed in 10 straight years to win the division and the Pats win them all.

It wouldn't prevent them from being dynastic, but their road would have been more difficult in many years.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
OK - I trimmed down the novel and am responding to the only part of the post that I think is relevant. It is very questionable whether or not the Pats were going be basically guaranteed to have a bye and in so many cases a #1 seed, if they didn't have a cake division. I don't think anyone but a fool would say that they are not the best run and only true dynasty in the last 2 decades - in a league that has attempted to build itself in a way that should prevent a dynasty from being possible.

But to say that playing in a shit division hasn't benefited them simply defies logic. They get wins that most any contenting team in the conference would get. It is virtually impossible for anyone else in the conference to take that spot. Let's say we switched with them and put us in the AFCE and they go in the AFCN? Do you think they'd have 10 straight division championships? I seriously doubt it - even though they've owned the Steelers, I can't believe the Steelers would have failed in 10 straight years to win the division and the Pats win them all.

It wouldn't prevent them from being dynastic, but their road would have been more difficult in many years.
The entire point of all it was to prove that there division equals a normal amount of loses as the rest. Every time they have ever been to the Super Bowl they have won 12-16 games. Besides the 16-0, they lost 1 or two of there games to someone in the division. The year by year shows that even if they went 4-2 or even 3-3 in there division every single year, they still easily finish in the same exact situation, the one seed.

Of course they would have lost there division and not had a 10 year straight of winning the division if other teams are better. The thing is, when they were there greatest, (making the Super Bowl) they beat everyone else, and there division wouldn't have meant anything at all.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
So obviously in any other division you aren't going to win 10 straight championships, but you are going to win the same exact amount of super bowls.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Could you redo this please using the the AFC North instead of NFC East? lol jk

Realizing this comparative win/loss analysis is one of the few ways for you to mathematically make the comparison but it doesn’t take into account level of effort needed or wear and tear on the team’s players in those 6 games which could adversely affect play in other games on the schedule.

Just thinking out loud but it would be interesting to me to look at a comparison of some defensive stats like maybe QB sacks and pressures and see how that shakes out between divisions.
I think it would get worse in the North. We have only beat them once in the regular season if I'm right. The steelers record vs them is dreadful.
Brady likely is already retired and in the HOF however if he would have to face us and vontez over and over lol

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
For sure, even teams that aren't close to eachother or even in the same division (so a epl team vs a league 2 team) is still fierce. I suggest you all read an english football teams forum, simply for all the banter and hatred they have for basically all teams other than their own.

The hatred isn’t as bad as it was prior to free agency (1994) with teams going from one team to another much easier. Prior to that even the players were into the hating of the other teams. Now it’s just for fans. Do English teams have free agency or something like that

Tank

Hall of Famer
I think it would get worse in the North. We have only beat them once in the regular season if I'm right. The steelers record vs them is dreadful.
Brady likely is already retired and in the HOF however if he would have to face us and vontez over and over lol
Thinking those records would be much different if they were in our division. And Brady? Retired, and not even sniffing the HOF. Puss boy has had it much too easy. lol

sailorsam

Practice Squad
I have to think that if the Pats played us and the Steelers twice a year, they'd lose fairly often.
I read somewhere, last time the Pats did not have a first-round bye was 2009 when we spanked them.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Man that just makes no sense at all. lol
I ment they won’t win 10 straight afc east championships but they’d likely still have 5 Super Bowls no matter what way you re do history. There division was hell up until after they won the 3rd. In 2016 on Tom’s revenge tour and no one was beating them. They came back 25 points against the best offense. If you want to argue a game replayed the Seahawks run the ball or whatever, you can’t disclude possibly the best team in the history of the Nfl getting to cock after 18-0.

So there’s no way they are the complete monster today in any other division (spare the Afc south) but I don’t think there’s any way they have less then 5 rings no matter how you play the cards

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
I have to think that if the Pats played us and the Steelers twice a year, they'd lose fairly often.
I read somewhere, last time the Pats did not have a first-round bye was 2009 when we spanked them.
We could always stop them but never could put up enough points
It’s nasty we have 1 regular season win against them

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I ment they won’t win 10 straight afc east championships but they’d likely still have 5 Super Bowls no matter what way you re do history. There division was hell up until after they won the 3rd. In 2016 on Tom’s revenge tour and no one was beating them. They came back 25 points against the best offense. If you want to argue a game replayed the Seahawks run the ball or whatever, you can’t disclude possibly the best team in the history of the Nfl getting to cock after 18-0.

So there’s no way they are the complete monster today in any other division (spare the Afc south) but I don’t think there’s any way they have less then 5 rings no matter how you play the cards
I guess they could have had even 8 or 9 if they cheated more

Tank

Hall of Famer

Right. They have one less if only Pete Carroll isn’t such an air head! LMAO!

Less east championships but same #of SBs? yeah, no way. We’ll just have to agree to disagree here.