• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Everything Science

rossihunter2

Staff Member
That's becuz the aliens scared them off but to be serious tho theres gotta be some underlying thing here as to the reason they don't go back.

it's because we didnt gain anything by going to the moon initially - it was a demonstration that we could get there - not that we could do anything - the moon landings were basically redundant in terms of future value

going to the moon this time will be based on every step of the process being reusable and efficient and ironically we're more likely to be successful at that because creating a lunar base and having a lunar gateway orbiting would greatly improve our ability to transit manned missions to mars with less need for fuel

i think ideally what they'll end up with in my (our) lifetime is an orbiter around the moon and an orbiter around mars and craft can transit between the 2 and dock at either end - where they can then shuttle to and from the surface

maybe by that time we'll also have a new earth orbiter beyond geostationary orbit that can be the counterweight of a space elevator as well

at that point we dramatically reduce the need for rocket fuel on earth which would greatly reduce emissions - and if we find water ice on the moon as is predicted then that will be a major contributor into both the life support system of a potential lunar base by producing both water and being able to create oxygen but also the hydrogen is a major component in rocket fuel too...

can you tell that this stuff excites me lol?

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
it's because we didnt gain anything by going to the moon initially - it was a demonstration that we could get there - not that we could do anything - the moon landings were basically redundant in terms of future value

going to the moon this time will be based on every step of the process being reusable and efficient and ironically we're more likely to be successful at that because creating a lunar base and having a lunar gateway orbiting would greatly improve our ability to transit manned missions to mars with less need for fuel

i think ideally what they'll end up with in my (our) lifetime is an orbiter around the moon and an orbiter around mars and craft can transit between the 2 and dock at either end - where they can then shuttle to and from the surface

maybe by that time we'll also have a new earth orbiter beyond geostationary orbit that can be the counterweight of a space elevator as well

at that point we dramatically reduce the need for rocket fuel on earth which would greatly reduce emissions - and if we find water ice on the moon as is predicted then that will be a major contributor into both the life support system of a potential lunar base by producing both water and being able to create oxygen but also the hydrogen is a major component in rocket fuel too...

can you tell that this stuff excites me lol?

The funny thing is we only see one side of the moon and the other side ( the dark side ) is such a mystery. I didn't know about the possibilities of water and that's quite interesting but Mars is what is interesting since I believe it holds everything you say could be on the moon plus it could hold lifeform too. I believe a rover just landed on Mars not too long ago.

@Ravensnation5220 I believe there should be no problem getting around space junk but still a good vid.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The funny thing is we only see one side of the moon and the other side ( the dark side ) is such a mystery. I didn't know about the possibilities of water and that's quite interesting but Mars is what is interesting since I believe it holds everything you say could be on the moon plus it could hold lifeform too. I believe a rover just landed on Mars not too long ago.

@Ravensnation5220 I believe there should be no problem getting around space junk but still a good vid.

they landed a lander on mars a few days ago to do some seismology studies (among other things) to determine more about the geological makeup of mars like what it's made of and whether it's core is liquid or solid and stuff like that to better understand the formation of the earth - mars is a great place to do studies like that because its geologically millions of years old whereas the earth's atmosphere and all the life on it has eroded and changed the environment from what it looked like at the formation of the earth

but NASA is launching a rover to mars in 2020 which is cool and as part of that mission they will be test-flying a "helicopter" which would be awesome if they could get it to work because that would be an incredible technological leap

the thing about the moon is that it's only 3 days away so it makes a more practical practice ground for anything that happens on mars - the moon is probably the key to deeper space travel which is what's so exciting to me personally

but yeah mars is the goal that the space agencies and especially NASA seem to have their sights set on - if NASA gets the budgets it wants and needs from US federal budgets then I think we see a human on Mars by 2040 and maybe earlier - one of the admins for the Insight Lander landing the other day was asked about it and he said if all goes well he reckons the mid-2030s but admitted that was an aggressive estimate

- not sure we'll find life on mars though - but if we did it would be a paradigm altering find - finding water is the first challenge

usmccharles

Practice Squad

l?
We gained a lot of advancements used in every day life. Cordless Power tools, Radio technology, EEG and EKG medical hardware, non refrigerated pudding cups, and future scientists of the country.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
We gained a lot of advancements used in every day life. Cordless Power tools, Radio technology, EEG and EKG medical hardware, non refrigerated pudding cups, and future scientists of the country.

ok that's fair but we didnt get much "science" out of it that we could have - we got some rock samples but we really didnt learn much about the moon and its formation and makeup

those benefits you list were incidental to the technological race to the moon etc. but they were happy side-effects not objectives - if as a human race we had gone to the moon with the intention of continuing to go back and forth to facilitate study of the moon we might already have a lunar base because we'd already know whether it could support life, what the effects of minor gravity is on the human body, whether living on the moon is sustainable - but these are things we're only contemplating going and studying and finding out 50 years later which is crazy

usmccharles

Practice Squad
ok that's fair but we didnt get much "science" out of it that we could have - we got some rock samples but we really didnt learn much about the moon and its formation and makeup

those benefits you list were incidental to the technological race to the moon etc. but they were happy side-effects not objectives - if as a human race we had gone to the moon with the intention of continuing to go back and forth to facilitate study of the moon we might already have a lunar base because we'd already know whether it could support life, what the effects of minor gravity is on the human body, whether living on the moon is sustainable - but these are things we're only contemplating going and studying and finding out 50 years later which is crazy
I agree we definitely should have been back. A lot of inventions have been incidental through times ie microwaves, pacemakers, xrays, etc. I think your downplaying what we did gain from it all, i would look up some stuff but im stuck watching Designated Survivor with the gf (not too bad)

https://www.reviewjournal.com/life/moon-landing-taught-us-much-about-science-and-ourselves/

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I agree we definitely should have been back. A lot of inventions have been incidental through times ie microwaves, pacemakers, xrays, etc. I think your downplaying what we did gain from it all, i would look up some stuff but im stuck watching Designated Survivor with the gf (not too bad)

https://www.reviewjournal.com/life/moon-landing-taught-us-much-about-science-and-ourselves/

there's something to be said too for the collective spirit of mankind being improved by monumental endeavours and adventures - the carl sagan series is an excellent poetic/lyrical experience in perspective adjustment if you're ever feeling any kind of way lol but i think within that series he talks at one point about how you can find a dynastic tribe or non-english speaking rural person in the middle of nowhere and they still know that someone's been to the moon

usmccharles

Practice Squad
there's something to be said too for the collective spirit of mankind being improved by monumental endeavours and adventures - the carl sagan series is an excellent poetic/lyrical experience in perspective adjustment if you're ever feeling any kind of way lol but i think within that series he talks at one point about how you can find a dynastic tribe or non-english speaking rural person in the middle of nowhere and they still know that someone's been to the moon
You could say its the most important to inspire young people of the world, not just America. Especially when it comes to "nerd" like subjects, before the likes of Jobs, Gates, etc it wasnt cool to be a nerd, now they run the world

usmccharles

Practice Squad
oh 100% i literally get so hype when stuff like this happens
Yep. Love me some Interstellar, Mars (TV Series), Martian. I get inspired every time i watch stuff like that, going into the unknown. Carry this over to our movie thread because i need some more of these type of movies!

I assume you listen to Star Talk with Neil DeGrasse Tyson

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
they landed a lander on mars a few days ago to do some seismology studies (among other things) to determine more about the geological makeup of mars like what it's made of and whether it's core is liquid or solid and stuff like that to better understand the formation of the earth - mars is a great place to do studies like that because its geologically millions of years old whereas the earth's atmosphere and all the life on it has eroded and changed the environment from what it looked like at the formation of the earth

but NASA is launching a rover to mars in 2020 which is cool and as part of that mission they will be test-flying a "helicopter" which would be awesome if they could get it to work because that would be an incredible technological leap

the thing about the moon is that it's only 3 days away so it makes a more practical practice ground for anything that happens on mars - the moon is probably the key to deeper space travel which is what's so exciting to me personally

but yeah mars is the goal that the space agencies and especially NASA seem to have their sights set on - if NASA gets the budgets it wants and needs from US federal budgets then I think we see a human on Mars by 2040 and maybe earlier - one of the admins for the Insight Lander landing the other day was asked about it and he said if all goes well he reckons the mid-2030s but admitted that was an aggressive estimate

- not sure we'll find life on mars though - but if we did it would be a paradigm altering find - finding water is the first challenge
Soon enough Roger Goodell will want an NFL team on Mars. Wonder how that will work for Thursday games.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I get dizzy when I read stuff like this. 18 billion km. And that's just to get out of Sun's reach/influence.

It’s the 2nd furthest an artifical object has got from earth and it only just got outside the heliosphere - in almost 50 years - it’s still 300 years away from the Oort Cloud which is still part of the solar system and probably won’t get out the other side of the Oort Cloud for 30000 years