• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offseason Thread

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
That's pretty much what I imagined which makes me question why so many are obsessing over Lamar's relationship/familiarity with Jaylen.
it's great that we brought him in and it's great that he has some chemistry with Lamar, but he still needs to win a job and Antoine Wesley is much more talented of a WR than Smith

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
A more deserving wr doesn’t get his spot because of what ultimately amounts to nepotism. That’s the worst that could happen.

You sound like folks on the ravens FB comment section man
Whoever takes that spot (and that's a big question whether the spot will be available at all) won't see much playing time anyway.

Simba

Staff Member
As far as Jaylen Smith goes, I don't expect much. I don't really think he is or ever will be an NFL caliber player.

With that being said, I'm fully on board with bringing him in as a UDFA. They might not get much time together, but see if the Lamar connection is there and if he can perform better than what his athletic ability would suggest.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Whoever takes that spot (and that's a big question whether the spot will be available at all) won't see much playing time anyway.
We gave Tim white the last spot over Tim Patrick because of ST contributions and thought no big deal because Patrick wouldn’t do much anyway, white didn’t last the season and Patrick is now looking like the broncos #3. You never know what that last guy with potential but “won’t do much” will develop into. Jaylen Smith tbh has no real potential, he would likely not even make a team if the ravens didn’t have lamar Jackson.

It’s ok though, lamar is gonna force feed him the ball a few times in the preseason, and the hype will die there

rossihunter2

Staff Member
We gave Tim white the last spot over Tim Patrick because of ST contributions and thought no big deal because Patrick wouldn’t do much anyway, white didn’t last the season and Patrick is now looking like the broncos #3. You never know what that last guy with potential but “won’t do much” will develop into. Jaylen Smith tbh has no real potential, he would likely not even make a team if the ravens didn’t have lamar Jackson.

It’s ok though, lamar is gonna force feed him the ball a few times in the preseason, and the hype will die there

this is where this originally came up - i doubt jaylon smith gets any snaps with lamar jackson at all

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
this is where this originally came up - i doubt jaylon smith gets any snaps with lamar jackson at all
True, jaylen is gonna be glued to the hip against corners who will never see an active list, and dropping balls from Trace McSorley. Then fans are gonn be like “BUT HE CANT SHOW ANYTHING WITHOUT CATCHING THE BALL FROM LAMAR! THE CHEMISTRYyYyYyY!!1!”

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
zco4191un8v21.png

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Arik Armstead seems like a candidate to be released. How would you guys feel about signing him in the event he is released?

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Arik Armstead seems like a candidate to be released. How would you guys feel about signing him in the event he is released?
We finally have a chance to let the young guys play on the dline.

I wouldn't love it, but certainly wouldn't hate it.

Better question is why? He's the worst player in that front four, but he's still a very good player.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
No thanks. I was never a fan. He’s just so slow and lumbering and really I don’t see what he brings. We have big meatshields, we have a guy like Wormley who is a natural 5tech and he’s just average but I don’t see what Armstead really brings, to me he’s nothing more than a 5tech in a base defense with no real upside anywhere else. I’d much rather throw Mack and Willis into the fire and let wormley sink or swim

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
We finally have a chance to let the young guys play on the dline.

I wouldn't love it, but certainly wouldn't hate it.

Better question is why? He's the worst player in that front four, but he's still a very good player.
exactly how I feel and I'm leaning more toward roll with who we already have on the roster.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think the one guy that played well last year and is still young who might be cut that we should look at is darron lee.