• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offseason Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He who shall not be named is reporting that we're trying to lock up Pierce and Judon as well. Also reporting that we want Mathieu and Cordarelle Patterson in FA.

The best part of the tweet? We approached Humphrey for an extension - we're not even allowed to extend him until after the 2019/2020 season.

So all previous parts of tweet must be null and void.

I feel like he’s somehow getting worse

Simba

Staff Member
I’m glad boyle’s back tbh
10m guaranteed is supposedly what the contract is too which isn’t horrendous

That being said this is both a good move and also disappointing because it’s not CJ

I never actually thought we’d host a presser for a blocking TE lol

It'll add depend on the structure and if they decide to keep in line with flattening the cap hits a little more. I'd expect this to be slightly more on the backloaded side, but not to the extent we previously have. Maybe a $2M guaranteed base salary with the proration of the guaranteed money being a bit under $3M. Keeps the year 1 cap hit around $5M, putting years 2 and 3 in the $6-7M range.

All assumption, of course.

6m a year for one of the best blocking TEs in the league is fine, I just hope the way we worked it out is that we can cut him after the next 2 years if hurst develops into what he CAN be

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
6m a year for one of the best blocking TEs in the league is fine, I just hope the way we worked it out is that we can cut him after the next 2 years if hurst develops into what he CAN be
I have a lot of knowledge of salary cap and cap structure as I've done a lot of research on it through the years. That being said, I don't know what the typical salary is for a blocking tight in in the NFL. I do understand that Boyle is one of, if not the best blocking TE in the league and extremely important in Roman's scheme. That being said, 18m seems high, but I'll wait until I see the structure of the contract before I criticize.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
It'll add depend on the structure and if they decide to keep in line with flattening the cap hits a little more. I'd expect this to be slightly more on the backloaded side, but not to the extent we previously have. Maybe a $2M guaranteed base salary with the proration of the guaranteed money being a bit under $3M. Keeps the year 1 cap hit around $5M, putting years 2 and 3 in the $6-7M range.

All assumption, of course.

They probably realized what Dwayne Allen's market value was going to be and decided not to let Boyle hit free agency.

Simba

Staff Member
I have a lot of knowledge of salary cap and cap structure as I've done a lot of research on it through the years. That being said, I don't know what the typical salary is for a blocking tight in in the NFL. I do understand that Boyle is one of, if not the best blocking TE in the league and extremely important in Roman's scheme. That being said, 18m seems high, but I'll wait until I see the structure of the contract before I criticize.

One of my favorite follows on Twitter, Dev from RSR, actually did a good job explaining his value beyond just the blocking. He's not your typical inline blocker in the sense that he pulls so often like an OL. He lines up in the backfield too, so there's a lot of versatility in his game. Thus, he's a huge part of the game plan (as we've seen numerous times) and will likely help Roman disguise what he's doing at times because Boyle can do everything as a blocker. It's not often a blocking TE factors into what teams do, but it seems the Ravens feel that he's another wrinkle teams have to factor when game planning.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
They probably realized what Dwayne Allen's market value was going to be and decided not to let Boyle hit free agency.

I think it’s the other way round most likely - I think Boyle probably wanted to see if he could get a better offer in free agency but the ravens bringing Allen in meant the offer wouldn’t necessarily be on the table waiting for him if he didn’t like what he saw in free agency and realised the ravens had made a competitive enough offer for him to stay

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
We do keep three TE's on field at times. But in all likelihood this signing means a little bit less of mark Andrews and Haydn Hurst together. More often than not, the two will be splitting time.... a shame, as Hurst is a first round pick and Andrews play has been first round worthy.

The few times that we have had both rookies at or near the line of scrimmage together were very interesting to watch and I felt those two in near constant snaps going forward would prove quite a problem for defenses.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think it’s the other way round most likely - I think Boyle probably wanted to see if he could get a better offer in free agency but the ravens bringing Allen in meant the offer wouldn’t necessarily be on the table waiting for him if he didn’t like what he saw in free agency and realised the ravens had made a competitive enough offer for him to stay
I understand that, but bringing Allen in and talking to his agent, they knew what Boyle's price would be on the open market...to an extent.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
We do keep three TE's on field at times. But in all likelihood this signing means a little bit less of mark Andrews and Haydn Hurst together. More often than not, the two will be splitting time.... a shame, as Hurst is a first round pick and Andrews play has been first round worthy.

The few times that we have had both rookies at or near the line of scrimmage together were very interesting to watch and I felt those two in near constant snaps going forward would prove quite a problem for defenses.
I still believe with Hurst at 100% we are going to see both of them on the field quite a bit. It's not any different now than what it would have been. If we lost Boyle, we would have had to sign someone else to replace him.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I still believe with Hurst at 100% we are going to see both of them on the field quite a bit. It's not any different now than what it would have been. If we lost Boyle, we would have had to sign someone else to replace him.
Id prefer to see the pass catchers coached up inline. We could have in mind the idea of three TE sets with Andrews and Hurst taking turns splitting out

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
If it's only $10 mil guaranteed over the course of three years, that's not a bad contract.

Andrews isn't a blocker so he won't see play on running downs.
Actually he improved significantly from his college days.

This to me tells me two things.

1. We are going to be running a lot of 3 TE sets in some capacity, establishing us as a power run team. Boyle has proven he can play the FB position too. So he's likely going to see a lot of time there. And so can Hurst, so they'll be switching off.

2. Hurst and Andrews will be splitting time in the slot as well.

It's not a bad move if you break it down. But he doesn't deserve a press conference.