• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offseason Thread

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Schefter: One NFL coach on Nick Boyle, who is re-signing with Baltimore instead of becoming a free agent next week: “Would have been the best TE to hit free agency in the last three years.”

Happy to extend him. He was the guy I wanted back anyway.

DAMN... 3 years 18. Whatever. Hope he just stays healthy and PED free... or doesn't get caught.

Charm City

Pro Bowler
I wonder if this deal raises the value of Maxx on the open market. Takes one TE off the market and gives a baseline value for a good, not great, TE

Oh ffs . Let's just have a Nick Boyle goal line fade based offense. I'd rather have a press conference for any other re-signing than Nick Boyle. At least Buck Allen would be funny. We had to keep one of them I guess.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
If we can land one of the better safteys and trey flowers OR mitch morse I'll be happy going into the draft

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
We must think TE's are critical in a Lamar Jackson offense because 6 million/year for Boyle seems pretty high when you have
Andrews and Hurst. Granted Boyle is an superb blocker. Boyle has also been suspended before for PED's as well.

Charm City

Pro Bowler
For context, since everyone is saying Boyle was overpaid:

Jermaine Gresham 7 million
Cameron Brate 6.8 million
Vance McDonald 6.5 million
Jack Doyle 6.3 million
Vernon Davis 5 million
Rhett Ellison 4.5 million

I would definitely put him in this group of TEs.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Goaline fades to Boyle.
Goaline fades to Boyle.
Goaline fades to Boyle.
Goaline fades to Boyle.
Goaline fades to Boyle.
Goaline fades to Boyle.
Goaline fades to Boyle.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Interesting stat per Jamison Hensley

A key stat when looking at re-signing of Nick Boyle: Ravens lined up with two or more tight ends on 1,044 snaps the past two seasons. That's 199 more than any other team in the NFL.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Boyle is a great blocker. He "plays like a Raven". No question about that. He works as an inline blocker, a lead blocking fullback, a motion and pull/trap blocker, a wing to protect in pass pro. More than that; he is very often asked to take a teams best edge rusher one on one in pass protection...right off the line.
I am a little unclear why he asked is tasked with this so often. It isn't infrequent to see Orlando in combination " helping" Yanda without a look to the outside while Boyle is one on one with whoever is wide.

in any case, he is versatile and tough and has good hands and is at least serviceable leaking out.