• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

DUMP THREAD V.9: SZN OVER

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
It's crazy how life works sometimes. In four years' time you'll be thinking the same thing once you get yourself set up.

People instinctively don't like debt but when you take out a loan the loan values stay flat while other numbers tend to inflate (you get a raise, prices go up etc). So just stick to a payment you know you can afford and you can play around with some mortgage calculators online to see what kind of term structure you'd like or what your price range might be. If you want to pay $1000 a month it might well turn out you can get something you're happy with on a 25-year term.

And as @Willbacker said, any bonus dollar you can pay off early into your term helps a lot. I remember doing a calculation a few years ago and found that every every extra dollar you knock off the principal saves you about $6 over the life of a 30-year mortgage (compound interest is one of those things the human mind hasn't done a great job of evolving to deal with - probably because maths geeks don't get laid much amirite).

That compound interest figure depends on the rate itself but yeah. People don't realize the power of compound interest. The ability to accumulate wealth or debt can be really nice or really bad.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
in literally 1 week lol - this is crazy... i mean it's still a lot of money to make up but it's only just finishing its 2nd weekend lol

Theaters were stopping showings of other movies early to get more auditoriums for Endgame. Also, some places had to change their hours to fill the demand. It really is crazy when you think about it.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Theaters were stopping showings of other movies early to get more auditoriums for Endgame. Also, some places had to change their hours to fill the demand. It really is crazy when you think about it.

i think a lot of that was cinemas being strong-armed by disney - a lot of cinemas basically pre-meditated that they would be open for 92 hours straight

i think it'll be fine this upcoming week - it's only got detective pikachu to care about (and i have a distinct feeling that's gonna bomb just like every film that released this weekend) but the week after john wick 3 hits and the marketing for that has been en point (even being marketed before endgame in the uk - dont know if it was the same in the us) - and i cant see john wick not debuting at number 1 at the box office which should eat into endgame a little - that being said disney obviously thinks it will have done the main bits of business by the week after that because that's when it releases alladin (which i have no interest in but disney will obviously want to do well)

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
i think a lot of that was cinemas being strong-armed by disney - a lot of cinemas basically pre-meditated that they would be open for 92 hours straight

i think it'll be fine this upcoming week - it's only got detective pikachu to care about (and i have a distinct feeling that's gonna bomb just like every film that released this weekend) but the week after john wick 3 hits and the marketing for that has been en point (even being marketed before endgame in the uk - dont know if it was the same in the us) - and i cant see john wick not debuting at number 1 at the box office which should eat into endgame a little - that being said disney obviously thinks it will have done the main bits of business by the week after that because that's when it releases alladin (which i have no interest in but disney will obviously want to do well)
I personally have dedicated my money to putting Endgame over Avatar.

Saw it again last night

rossihunter2

Staff Member
was just looking at the box office for endgame and noticed some interesting things:

someone broke down the gross by region and of the top grossing films of all time it's got by far the largest proportion of money from china of all those films and its probably going to be important in future to account for the opening of china to foreign tentpoles because of how much money can now be made in the region - just as we now see top 10 lists that are adjusted for inflation etc. i think we'll eventually start to see films adjusted for "china" in some way shape or form

the other interesting thing is that while endgame domestically (in the us) had by far the largest opening weekend of all time, its 2nd weekend has slipped a lot further than almost any other also - it's opening weekend was almost 100m more than the force awakens (which is the highest grossing domestic film of all time by quite some margin with nearly 1bn in 1 territory - the us+canada) but its 2nd weekend is less than the force awakens 2nd weekend which is quite a dropoff relatively (still a huge amount of money)

i do kind of wonder whether endgame is going to have the legs to beat out avatar - avatar was built very specifically for the cinema experience and to be so simple that it could be relatable in all cultures worldwide and endgame is more of a single event film - designed to be an event but also that people wont necessarily feel the need to see more than once or twice (obviously many people will see it more than once) but avatar was billed as this thing you had to see in cinemas multiple times and people did because it wasnt a film designed to carry over to digital or dvd and be as digestible

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
was just looking at the box office for endgame and noticed some interesting things:

someone broke down the gross by region and of the top grossing films of all time it's got by far the largest proportion of money from china of all those films and its probably going to be important in future to account for the opening of china to foreign tentpoles because of how much money can now be made in the region - just as we now see top 10 lists that are adjusted for inflation etc. i think we'll eventually start to see films adjusted for "china" in some way shape or form

the other interesting thing is that while endgame domestically (in the us) had by far the largest opening weekend of all time, its 2nd weekend has slipped a lot further than almost any other also - it's opening weekend was almost 100m more than the force awakens (which is the highest grossing domestic film of all time by quite some margin with nearly 1bn in 1 territory - the us+canada) but its 2nd weekend is less than the force awakens 2nd weekend which is quite a dropoff relatively (still a huge amount of money)

i do kind of wonder whether endgame is going to have the legs to beat out avatar - avatar was built very specifically for the cinema experience and to be so simple that it could be relatable in all cultures worldwide and endgame is more of a single event film - designed to be an event but also that people wont necessarily feel the need to see more than once or twice (obviously many people will see it more than once) but avatar was billed as this thing you had to see in cinemas multiple times and people did because it wasnt a film designed to carry over to digital or dvd and be as digestible

I think it only has like 600 mil to go though, and TFA had their second weekend right at Christmas so that movie had a bit of an advantage. The thing about Avatar is that it had no competition and while this one should hold its own for a couple more weeks, it won't have an entire month of no competition like Avatar. Imternational money is proving big so far though and I think it can do it.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
This year for lent I just gave up...

Still haven't found the urge to continue.... Fucking roommates ruined my life

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
That's my TE!

14dallas.1.190.jpg
Actually Riley Reid is my tight end

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer

It's "only" $500 million behind. This weekend it might pass it.

Let's hope. Avatar really isn't a good movie