• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

DUMP THREAD V.9: SZN OVER

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
Thanks. I'm not super worried about the pre-approval. I have plenty in the bank and plan on making a pretty sizable downpayment when that time comes, and my credit is fantastic. I only have a car payment in debt, and then the standard monthly expenses that most have.

I figured the process itself would be long. I'm more worried about starting to look in the coming weeks when I'm not actually ready to make a commitment. I've found a few places I think I'd like in what I believe to be an ideal neighborhood, but I'm battling whether or not they (or something very similar) will still be there in a few months.

Good note about the winter though. I'll definitely keep that in mind as I go forward. I'm certainly not in any rush. I still live at home so I have no problems continually putting money away until the time is right. I've been thinking about it for a couple of years, but I finally feel like I have enough salary to buy on my own and still live comfortably. If I have to wait another year, so be it.

Luckily (or unluckily, depending on how you look at it), I'm most likely going to be looking in the city or surrounding neighborhoods, so water shouldn't be an issue. I pretty much want 0 grass lol - whether that's a townhouse or condo. Condos sound great but damn, these HOA fees are astronomical. Of course, you don't have to pay water, gas, heating, AC, etc. but it's still a number that you look at and gasp.

I am close to Patterson Park so IDK where exactly you are looking but can offer some info about living in that area. Kinda clueless about the whole process as well but I want to save up a good amount of money before I worry about it lol

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Thanks. I'm not super worried about the pre-approval. I have plenty in the bank and plan on making a pretty sizable downpayment when that time comes, and my credit is fantastic. I only have a car payment in debt, and then the standard monthly expenses that most have.

I figured the process itself would be long. I'm more worried about starting to look in the coming weeks when I'm not actually ready to make a commitment. I've found a few places I think I'd like in what I believe to be an ideal neighborhood, but I'm battling whether or not they (or something very similar) will still be there in a few months.

Good note about the winter though. I'll definitely keep that in mind as I go forward. I'm certainly not in any rush. I still live at home so I have no problems continually putting money away until the time is right. I've been thinking about it for a couple of years, but I finally feel like I have enough salary to buy on my own and still live comfortably. If I have to wait another year, so be it.

Luckily (or unluckily, depending on how you look at it), I'm most likely going to be looking in the city or surrounding neighborhoods, so water shouldn't be an issue. I pretty much want 0 grass lol - whether that's a townhouse or condo. Condos sound great but damn, these HOA fees are astronomical. Of course, you don't have to pay water, gas, heating, AC, etc. but it's still a number that you look at and gasp.
if you buy a condo, something to keep in mind is the structure material and the insulation. if its made of wood and poorly insulated, youll be fucking miserable, youre at your neighbors mercy as far as going to bed. no outdoor personalization of your home, condo fees, all common parking, etc. i was looking into condos, but after one year in an apartment i said absolutely not and will never consider such a thing ever again.

and i dont know what city youre considering, but living in MD my whole life has left a terrible taste in my mouth about cities. Baltimore is absolutely atrocious, a condemned rowhouse that literally has giant holes in it in an area where you have like a 2% chance of getting shot every time you walk out your door will sell for 30k and property taxes will surpass 2k(i mean literally, people on north avenue and the surrounding areas have a 13% chance of becoming the victim of a violent crime, worst in the nation by far) so thats outrageous on its own, and when you get to the areas where thats not a problem, the price soars to astronomical levels. most of the nice part of baltimore city has rowhomes that are about 15 feet in width, and are on one way streets with no reserved parking, and roads so skinny you cant drive a small uhaul down them, and then theres a goddamn festival every month in these neighborhoods, all of this for the lovely price of 300-800k with property taxes ranging from 3k-9k annually!

yeah idk where youre shopping, but from my life experience.... FUCK living in the city. to each their own though, some people like the liveliness of it all, walking/biking to work, modern styles in a classic looking home, cultural centers, party towns, back when i was 21 i wouldve liked to rent a place there for a year just to give it a whirl, but 27 year old me, married with a kid, i prefer the peace and convenience of the suburbs, along with the drastically lower cost of living. like if i have to drive 20 minutes to get to the nearest drive through because every food joint is on a city block with no parking, thats no life for me lmao.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
From what I could see from very far, you can't go wrong with Roland Park
roland park is a very nice area, i work there a lot, but it suffers from what all of baltimore citys nice areas suffer from... drive 5 minutes in any direction to find yourself in a crumbling shithole that is 1 broken brick away from being third world. also, school districts, if you live anywhere in baltimore city and want your kids to have ANY chance at education, youre gonna have to fork out thousands for private school.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
roland park is a very nice area, i work there a lot, but it suffers from what all of baltimore citys nice areas suffer from... drive 5 minutes in any direction to find yourself in a crumbling shithole that is 1 broken brick away from being third world. also, school districts, if you live anywhere in baltimore city and want your kids to have ANY chance at education, youre gonna have to fork out thousands for private school.
Yeah. Unless you have a shitload of money, it's always a matter of making a compromise.

Simba

Staff Member
if you buy a condo, something to keep in mind is the structure material and the insulation. if its made of wood and poorly insulated, youll be fucking miserable, youre at your neighbors mercy as far as going to bed. no outdoor personalization of your home, condo fees, all common parking, etc. i was looking into condos, but after one year in an apartment i said absolutely not and will never consider such a thing ever again.

and i dont know what city youre considering, but living in MD my whole life has left a terrible taste in my mouth about cities. Baltimore is absolutely atrocious, a condemned rowhouse that literally has giant holes in it in an area where you have like a 2% chance of getting shot every time you walk out your door will sell for 30k and property taxes will surpass 2k(i mean literally, people on north avenue and the surrounding areas have a 13% chance of becoming the victim of a violent crime, worst in the nation by far) so thats outrageous on its own, and when you get to the areas where thats not a problem, the price soars to astronomical levels. most of the nice part of baltimore city has rowhomes that are about 15 feet in width, and are on one way streets with no reserved parking, and roads so skinny you cant drive a small uhaul down them, and then theres a goddamn festival every month in these neighborhoods, all of this for the lovely price of 300-800k with property taxes ranging from 3k-9k annually!

yeah idk where youre shopping, but from my life experience.... FUCK living in the city. to each their own though, some people like the liveliness of it all, walking/biking to work, modern styles in a classic looking home, cultural centers, party towns, back when i was 21 i wouldve liked to rent a place there for a year just to give it a whirl, but 27 year old me, married with a kid, i prefer the peace and convenience of the suburbs, along with the drastically lower cost of living. like if i have to drive 20 minutes to get to the nearest drive through because every food joint is on a city block with no parking, thats no life for me lmao.

Yeah I'm looking in Baltimore. I'm starting a job in Mt. Vernon, so it's a nicer area that is relatively inexpensive considering. Of course, as you mentioned, Sandtown-Winchester is a short distance away and I would never want to be caught there. It's crazy that a heavy art population is so close to one of the most gang ridden neighborhoods in Baltimore.

In the areas I'm looking, I definitely think a townhouse is most likely. I'm solo so size isn't much of an issue, but one of my musts is guaranteed parking. If I stay in the Mt. Vernon area, my work does provide free parking so I likely wouldn't have to worry about that. Just a lot of different things to consider. I won't rule out a condo since I'm certainly not looking for this heavily populated tower or anything. A lot of the areas I'm looking have no more than 10-12 units or so.

As @allblackraven mentioned, Roland park is certainly an option since it's a short ride up 83. I prefer to stay away from Canton, Fells, and Fed since I'm not much of a partier. I know there are some quieter streets around there though, so again, not going to rule it out.

Simba

Staff Member
I am close to Patterson Park so IDK where exactly you are looking but can offer some info about living in that area. Kinda clueless about the whole process as well but I want to save up a good amount of money before I worry about it lol

Definitely a consideration. Only a couple of miles from where I'll be working, and far enough away from downtown Fells where all of the craziness happens.

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
Definitely a consideration. Only a couple of miles from where I'll be working, and far enough away from downtown Fells where all of the craziness happens.
Some places have parking pads that are essentially their back yards(probably both things are pluses for you lol) although that isn't every house by a long shot. I generally park on the street and the park being there generally means there are openings although it can fill up at peak times(bar times and people in the park, lots of leagues play there so stuff can fill up) which is annoying. Crime is there although it is a better area than others and isn't too bad if you are smart although it is a risk. Generally things are nice the closer you get to the water but prices go up. Harbor East is really nice but also $$$$$$

There are generally bars at most intersections even outside Canton and Fells proper and you gotta deal with listening to traffic on busier streets but you get used to it.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Yeah I'm looking in Baltimore. I'm starting a job in Mt. Vernon, so it's a nicer area that is relatively inexpensive considering. Of course, as you mentioned, Sandtown-Winchester is a short distance away and I would never want to be caught there. It's crazy that a heavy art population is so close to one of the most gang ridden neighborhoods in Baltimore.

In the areas I'm looking, I definitely think a townhouse is most likely. I'm solo so size isn't much of an issue, but one of my musts is guaranteed parking. If I stay in the Mt. Vernon area, my work does provide free parking so I likely wouldn't have to worry about that. Just a lot of different things to consider. I won't rule out a condo since I'm certainly not looking for this heavily populated tower or anything. A lot of the areas I'm looking have no more than 10-12 units or so.

As @allblackraven mentioned, Roland park is certainly an option since it's a short ride up 83. I prefer to stay away from Canton, Fells, and Fed since I'm not much of a partier. I know there are some quieter streets around there though, so again, not going to rule it out.
If you don’t mind me asking, is there a specific reason that you’re ruling out the surrounding suburbs? Arbutus/Catonsville in Baltimore county is a really nice area with a great school district and it’s just a few minutes from the city, and you can get a townhome double the size of what you’d find in the city for the same price but a fraction of the property tax cost, and all those inconveniences of city living and the hustle and bustle aren’t a problem, all while keeping you right down the street from all of it

Simba

Staff Member
If you don’t mind me asking, is there a specific reason that you’re ruling out the surrounding suburbs? Arbutus/Catonsville in Baltimore county is a really nice area with a great school district and it’s just a few minutes from the city, and you can get a townhome double the size of what you’d find in the city for the same price but a fraction of the property tax cost, and all those inconveniences of city living and the hustle and bustle aren’t a problem, all while keeping you right down the street from all of it

I'm in the county now, but on the other side - White Marsh area. Just looking for something a little different. I'm young and the city life appeals to me. Not a big drinker but I love the idea of walking out my door and finding multiple places to hang out within a few blocks. Not even close to thinking about kids at this time, so in all honesty, I'm looking to be a little selfish for the first time in my life.

Simba

Staff Member
Some places have parking pads that are essentially their back yards(probably both things are pluses for you lol) although that isn't every house by a long shot. I generally park on the street and the park being there generally means there are openings although it can fill up at peak times(bar times and people in the park, lots of leagues play there so stuff can fill up) which is annoying. Crime is there although it is a better area than others and isn't too bad if you are smart although it is a risk. Generally things are nice the closer you get to the water but prices go up. Harbor East is really nice but also $$$$$$

There are generally bars at most intersections even outside Canton and Fells proper and you gotta deal with listening to traffic on busier streets but you get used to it.

Yeah if I end up in the Fells, Fed, or Canton area, a parking pad is a must. I know some of those things are still super tight though, and I drive a Grand Cherokee, so I need to make sure I'd have space to get it in if I went that route lol. A friend of mine just moved out of a place in Fed and as I went to pick up some stuff for him, I had a hell of a time getting in and out of his parking pad. Must have turned that wheel 893 times at least.

That's part of the reason why a condo is appealing. Most come with garage parking, and they're all relatively affordable for me. Just need to find one where HOA fees are like $200 or less a month and not $800 like I've seen.

I've definitely looked at Harbor East though. Big concern there is I'd be coming directly through the Inner Harbor at rush hour to get home. I've had enough traffic for a lifetime driving through the tunnel to Columbia for the last 2 years lol.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I'm in the county now, but on the other side - White Marsh area. Just looking for something a little different. I'm young and the city life appeals to me. Not a big drinker but I love the idea of walking out my door and finding multiple places to hang out within a few blocks. Not even close to thinking about kids at this time, so in all honesty, I'm looking to be a little selfish for the first time in my life.
Ahhhh, ok. Different paths me and you lol, well enjoy the freedom man, I just pissed away the first half of my 20s and suddenly I had responsibilities. Wish I handled it the way you are lmao

Simba

Staff Member
Ahhhh, ok. Different paths me and you lol, well enjoy the freedom man, I just pissed away the first half of my 20s and suddenly I had responsibilities. Wish I handled it the way you are lmao

Hey we all make sacrifices somewhere. I didn’t enjoy my college years near as much as I should have, so this is kind of my opportunity for freedom

Inqui

Pro Bowler

A lot of US cities always struck me as almost like two cities that really only share a geographical border. You step across one street and you're in a different world.

My experience is in NZ so there may be a few differences (it'd blow your mind how unregulated the market is over here), but I'd say that as long as you can service the mortgage you can't go too far wrong simply by being on the ladder. Your first property need not be your last, and you can always use the capital gains and amount of principal you've paid to get yourself set up in a nicer place down the line. Just find a place you can afford and you'd be happy living in for a while (so not somewhere in the ganglands or without somewhere to park and so on) and I honestly don't think you can go far wrong.

You can also use your existing equity as a deposit for a second or third property, so simply being on the ladder counts for so much. A few years ago I bought a house in a crappy part of a small town, and now I'm using it as a rental with a ridiculous yield and I can now buy a house worth twice as much as my current one (and still keep the old one). Pool that with my fiancee's assets and there's a really good chance we'll be living in a million-dollar house by our mid-30s. It can take a while for things to get rolling, but I can't say enough about simply being on the ladder.

There may be differences in the US, but from a bank's perspective there are two parts to assessing a borrower: borrowing amount (how big a loan you can take out, which is pretty straightforward for a first home) and servicing (in which case they'll have their own formulas that are usually proprietary so it's hard to know exactly how they're calculated and really the best way is to apply and answer their questions and hope for the best). Most NZ banks will just take a few payslips as proof of income and ask about your debts and ongoing expenses (how much credit card repayments cost you, car payments, insurance premiums, how many kids you have, etc). Australian banks used to do that but just recently started also asking for other expenses like how much you spend on KFC and beer and that's made things really hard for buyers (first-time buyers in particular), so I'd imagine US banks are somewhere in between.

A mortgage broker here recently sent out a bunch of approval requests and found that the balance of your credit card doesn't actually matter to banks when factoring the loan you can service. They assume every credit card is maxed out, and I'd be surprised if the US banks did it differently, so reducing liabilities (paying off loans altogether and getting credit cards cancelled and so on) should be something you get serious on right away.

The point @JoeyFlex5 made about winter markets stagnating is true not just of Maryland or the US but of the world. The downside is that there are fewer listings available but there are also fewer buyers and the listings spend more time on the market, so if you can knock a few thousand off a vendor's asking price that can count for a lot in the long run.

If you like, I can go into more detail about the determinants of the property market if you want to try and pick an area that's likely to grow in value, but hopefully all this helps anyway (or is at least somewhat relevant).

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Hey we all make sacrifices somewhere. I didn’t enjoy my college years near as much as I should have, so this is kind of my opportunity for freedom
Trust me... you probably did it right then lol. Because I sure as shit didn’t. I wish I went to college instead of drinking myself into oblivion from 18-24 and settling for a labor intensive career. I’ve been working in my field for 2 years after spending 30k on trade school for it and I already wanna find a new line of work lol, but it’s too late for me.

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
Yeah if I end up in the Fells, Fed, or Canton area, a parking pad is a must. I know some of those things are still super tight though, and I drive a Grand Cherokee, so I need to make sure I'd have space to get it in if I went that route lol. A friend of mine just moved out of a place in Fed and as I went to pick up some stuff for him, I had a hell of a time getting in and out of his parking pad. Must have turned that wheel 893 times at least.

That's part of the reason why a condo is appealing. Most come with garage parking, and they're all relatively affordable for me. Just need to find one where HOA fees are like $200 or less a month and not $800 like I've seen.

I've definitely looked at Harbor East though. Big concern there is I'd be coming directly through the Inner Harbor at rush hour to get home. I've had enough traffic for a lifetime driving through the tunnel to Columbia for the last 2 years lol.

Yeah I have a tiny little Ford Fiesta so parking isn't as bad. Still annoying.

Yeah I've been going through the tunnels for about 4 years now. You don't want to get me started on that whole mess haha

Simba

Staff Member
A lot of US cities always struck me as almost like two cities that really only share a geographical border. You step across one street and you're in a different world.

My experience is in NZ so there may be a few differences (it'd blow your mind how unregulated the market is over here), but I'd say that as long as you can service the mortgage you can't go too far wrong simply by being on the ladder. Your first property need not be your last, and you can always use the capital gains and amount of principal you've paid to get yourself set up in a nicer place down the line. Just find a place you can afford and you'd be happy living in for a while (so not somewhere in the ganglands or without somewhere to park and so on) and I honestly don't think you can go far wrong.

You can also use your existing equity as a deposit for a second or third property, so simply being on the ladder counts for so much. A few years ago I bought a house in a crappy part of a small town, and now I'm using it as a rental with a ridiculous yield and I can now buy a house worth twice as much as my current one (and still keep the old one). Pool that with my fiancee's assets and there's a really good chance we'll be living in a million-dollar house by our mid-30s. It can take a while for things to get rolling, but I can't say enough about simply being on the ladder.

There may be differences in the US, but from a bank's perspective there are two parts to assessing a borrower: borrowing amount (how big a loan you can take out, which is pretty straightforward for a first home) and servicing (in which case they'll have their own formulas that are usually proprietary so it's hard to know exactly how they're calculated and really the best way is to apply and answer their questions and hope for the best). Most NZ banks will just take a few payslips as proof of income and ask about your debts and ongoing expenses (how much credit card repayments cost you, car payments, insurance premiums, how many kids you have, etc). Australian banks used to do that but just recently started also asking for other expenses like how much you spend on KFC and beer and that's made things really hard for buyers (first-time buyers in particular), so I'd imagine US banks are somewhere in between.

A mortgage broker here recently sent out a bunch of approval requests and found that the balance of your credit card doesn't actually matter to banks when factoring the loan you can service. They assume every credit card is maxed out, and I'd be surprised if the US banks did it differently, so reducing liabilities (paying off loans altogether and getting credit cards cancelled and so on) should be something you get serious on right away.

The point @JoeyFlex5 made about winter markets stagnating is true not just of Maryland or the US but of the world. The downside is that there are fewer listings available but there are also fewer buyers and the listings spend more time on the market, so if you can knock a few thousand off a vendor's asking price that can count for a lot in the long run.

If you like, I can go into more detail about the determinants of the property market if you want to try and pick an area that's likely to grow in value, but hopefully all this helps anyway (or is at least somewhat relevant).

Yeah that’s pretty much the plan. Buy a solid 1 or 2 bedroom place to get a start. Obviously I won’t be there forever, but I’d rent it out (lots of colleges in the area) and use that towards the next place, probably when I’d want to get back out into the suburbs.

I really don’t have any qualms about cost or debt. I have plenty saved in the bank and my only debt outside of some very small credit card stuff is my car payment, and I’ll pay that off well before my loan term. No student loans to worry about (thank god) so I’m in really good standing.

I think the big thing at this point is sitting down and estimating all of my monthly expenditures. I have a good idea of what my budget would be, but I also don’t think I’d come close to my max. I live pretty simply, so not too much to stress consistently.

Simba

Staff Member
Yeah I have a tiny little Ford Fiesta so parking isn't as bad. Still annoying.

Yeah I've been going through the tunnels for about 4 years now. You don't want to get me started on that whole mess haha

Bruh I’m done with it lol. Tomorrow is my last day doing it consistently and I couldn’t be happier. I’m sitting at about an hour and five minutes each way. Sometimes a little better and often a little worse.

Simba

Staff Member
Trust me... you probably did it right then lol. Because I sure as shit didn’t. I wish I went to college instead of drinking myself into oblivion from 18-24 and settling for a labor intensive career. I’ve been working in my field for 2 years after spending 30k on trade school for it and I already wanna find a new line of work lol, but it’s too late for me.

Never too late lol. But of course, some major sacrifices have to be made for a complete switch in careers.

I did all the internships and stuff during college so I was always working and honestly missed out on a lot. It set me up well now of course, but there’s still that desire to have a little freedom instead of slaving away for the rest of my life.

Inqui

Pro Bowler
Yeah that’s pretty much the plan. Buy a solid 1 or 2 bedroom place to get a start. Obviously I won’t be there forever, but I’d rent it out (lots of colleges in the area) and use that towards the next place, probably when I’d want to get back out into the suburbs.

I really don’t have any qualms about cost or debt. I have plenty saved in the bank and my only debt outside of some very small credit card stuff is my car payment, and I’ll pay that off well before my loan term. No student loans to worry about (thank god) so I’m in really good standing.

I think the big thing at this point is sitting down and estimating all of my monthly expenditures. I have a good idea of what my budget would be, but I also don’t think I’d come close to my max. I live pretty simply, so not too much to stress consistently.
If there are lots of colleges in the area it sounds like you're set. There's always a risk if you take on students as tenants, but from a supply and demand standpoint those areas are great news for prices and jobs and the like.

I'm assuming you have mortgage brokers in the US? They basically charge the banks for finding you so you don't have to pay them a thing. If I were in your position I'd try to make an appointment with one tomorrow (even if you're not planning to buy for another six months or so) and talk about your options and what you'll need, and the decisions you can make over the next few months that'll enhance your position. Sounds like you're in a really good position though and I'd say just go for it no matter what.

Honestly I find that you can make do with almost any level of payments. My place is basically on a five-year mortgage so it means my weekly payments are pretty obscene compared with what they could be, but it's pretty easy to adjust your discretionary spending. With that said, as a general rule mortgage stress is when 25% or more of your paycheck (after taxes) goes to your mortgage (do with that what you will lol).