• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

DUMP THREAD V.9: SZN OVER

Simba

Staff Member
I need help with math.

-0.18 = log(× ÷ 1.125)

The answer is 0.743, but I'm not sure how to get there.

Literally haven’t used this shit since I took that class lol. Don’t remember in the slightest how I would even do this.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Literally haven’t used this shit since I took that class lol. Don’t remember in the slightest how I would even do this.
10^-0.18 = (x/1.125) then multiply by 1.125.

It's been about 2 years since I've taken a calc class, but we're using logs for my chem class with acids and bases.

Simba

Staff Member

It's been about 2 years since I've taken a calc class, but we're using logs for my chem class with acids and bases.

I took an engineering track in high school and was pretty good at math, but then I went to college for health care/business so math turned into accounting type stuff and all of this type of stuff completely left my brain.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Alright so I’m basically deciding on college between Oregon and San Diego state. Ovviosuly ever experience is gonna be different but if anyone has heard anything on either I’m all ears.

I have like 3 weeks to decide and I’m pretty stressed out and messed up.
The two could not be more different in every single way even down to the weather. Sdsu has a much much lower acceptance rate but I don’t know how much that really matters. It’s a decent distance from home (3 hour train that goes straight there) and that 7 thousand a year for tuition is hard to beat.

Oregon’s got some nice stuff too, and the weather is amazing, I could graduate in 3 years based off my aps and college classes where sdsu has a scary 30% 4 year grad rate and no one can get classes.

My outlier is university of Pittsburgh. Very far from home, I know nothing about their business program, but it has a cool big city feel, I could see the ravens play once a year, I got family out there, and it seems to be held at a higher I guess viewpoint if that makes sense. Any tips or anything please let me know

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Well if I ever have self doubts again.... at least I didn’t get drunk and tear my ACL/break my foot because I decided while blackout to drive an electric scooter.

How to some people function?

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Alright so I’m basically deciding on college between Oregon and San Diego state. Ovviosuly ever experience is gonna be different but if anyone has heard anything on either I’m all ears.

The two could not be more different in every single way even down to the weather. Sdsu has a much much lower acceptance rate but I don’t know how much that really matters. It’s a decent distance from home (3 hour train that goes straight there) and that 7 thousand a year for tuition is hard to beat.

Oregon’s got some nice stuff too, and the weather is amazing, I could graduate in 3 years based off my aps and college classes where sdsu has a scary 30% 4 year grad rate and no one can get classes.

My outlier is university of Pittsburgh. Very far from home, I know nothing about their business program, but it has a cool big city feel, I could see the ravens play once a year, I got family out there, and it seems to be held at a higher I guess viewpoint if that makes sense. Any tips or anything please let me know
I don't really know anything about those schools, but when I was choosing a school, I was looking at how nice the campus/dorms are, what the food's like, and how comfortable I felt when I was visiting each school. I was indifferent on schools for a long time, and those last few weeks when I finally had to make a choice were really stressful. It kinda came down to a gut feeling for me when I chose my school.

Good luck with your decision.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

Pittsburgh even with their nasty fans really is a cool city. I'm sure a whole different culture from Cali which could provide a good experience. Just be careful man and choose the right path for yourself financially and professionally. As my uncle once told me "Life is full of forks in the road".

Oh yeah if it has a Chick Fil-A that's a strong selling point too lol.

Simba

Staff Member

I don't really know anything about either school, but if I was in your shoes, I'd pick SDSU. You're going far enough away where you still get that college feel, but not too far that home isn't right around the corner should you need to go back.

The tuition would be the selling point for me, though. Unless you're going to a Harvard or Princeton, or a school with a top ranked program, the name of the school really doesn't matter that much. So, to me, why pay more to go out of state for little benefit? You definitely have to enjoy college, but you also have to think about life after college as well. Those loans can be a killer.

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler

Lol the one time I could have been helpful with math on here and I miss it.

Also I am so used to log meaning log based e(or ln) I solved that first and then realized I needed to use base 10.

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler

Which program is better for your major? Have you had a chance to visit both campuses? Which one do you feel more comfortable spending the majority of the next 3-4 years of your life?

Inqui

Pro Bowler

I haven't had to make a choice quite like that (here in NZ we've got a couple of Asia's top 100 colleges in each of the big fields so the choice is usually pretty easy) and I can't speak for what degree you want to get, but with that said I've found that what you do in the workforce tends to be pretty different to what you're studying. What's important is that the skills you learn are adaptive enough to what you want to do (plus things like critical thinking and argument abstraction if you're doing a more qualitative course).

For example I'm doing a Masters in Professional Economics atm and last year I learnt a bunch of forecasting tools (among other things) and I had a chat to a senior official at the Treasury Department who said they have their own techniques for forecasting. But it's still really good to know about ARCH and ARIMA techniques because you're still getting familiar with forecasting and how it works. You also mentioned business school and honestly those curriculums tend to be pretty standardised - stuff like WACC and operating cash flow don't change just because you're in Oregon instead of California.

The point is that introductory skills like that can be taught almost anywhere (University of Phoenix aside...). So unless one of them is a standout in your field you can't go too far wrong with any of them. If it were me I'd be looking at quality of life stuff so I'd probably go be looking at SDSU because it's closer to home and I tend to prefer warmer weather but that depends on your preferences.

And like @Simba says, fees are a bitch so don't sleep on them being part of your decision (this is where I give my country a plug by saying we get interest-free student loans provided by the government that get paid off with a small tax increase for a few years). If you're doing business you're going to get well acquainted with compound interest and future values, and the difference between two schools once you've paid it all off can be tens of thousands.

Inqui

Pro Bowler
I took an engineering track in high school and was pretty good at math, but then I went to college for health care/business so math turned into accounting type stuff and all of this type of stuff completely left my brain.
Tell me about it. Like I said I'm doing more real-world economics and finance stuff and I've already long forgotten about logs and partial deriviatives (which is kind of a shame because I actually enjoyed some of the calculus stuff, I just haven't used it). And just looking at the academic math just makes my head spin. Some of that stuff seems more like Greek literature than meaningful formulas.

How John Urschel can do that stuff for fun is beyond me.

Simba

Staff Member
I haven't had to make a choice quite like that (here in NZ we've got a couple of Asia's top 100 colleges in each of the big fields so the choice is usually pretty easy) and I can't speak for what degree you want to get, but with that said I've found that what you do in the workforce tends to be pretty different to what you're studying. What's important is that the skills you learn are adaptive enough to what you want to do (plus things like critical thinking and argument abstraction if you're doing a more qualitative course).

For example I'm doing a Masters in Professional Economics atm and last year I learnt a bunch of forecasting tools (among other things) and I had a chat to a senior official at the Treasury Department who said they have their own techniques for forecasting. But it's still really good to know about ARCH and ARIMA techniques because you're still getting familiar with forecasting and how it works. You also mentioned business school and honestly those curriculums tend to be pretty standardised - stuff like WACC and operating cash flow don't change just because you're in Oregon instead of California.

The point is that introductory skills like that can be taught almost anywhere (University of Phoenix aside...). So unless one of them is a standout in your field you can't go too far wrong with any of them. If it were me I'd be looking at quality of life stuff so I'd probably go be looking at SDSU because it's closer to home and I tend to prefer warmer weather but that depends on your preferences.

And like @Simba says, fees are a bitch so don't sleep on them being part of your decision (this is where I give my country a plug by saying we get interest-free student loans provided by the government that get paid off with a small tax increase for a few years). If you're doing business you're going to get well acquainted with compound interest and future values, and the difference between two schools once you've paid it all off can be tens of thousands.

To me, this is the most accurate thing. I was actually just mentioning this to @52520Andrew earlier. I majored in Healthcare Management in college. I thought for sure that I wanted to work in a hospital in some sort of nursing manager capacity. Got a job at a hospital and quickly realized it wasn't for me. For the past 2.5 years, I've been working in IT project management. I'm about to take a job project management for a publishing company. My coworker, who holds the same position as me, majored in psychology. So few people that I went to college with, regardless of major, are actually working in that field. A significant majority of them just happened to find another path/passion.

This might be some odd advice, but I also recommend taking the "low man on the totem pole" job once you get out of college. Of course, if someone is offering you $60K straight out of college, take it. If your options are some low level role in an organization or a slightly lower level administrative type job, I'm serious - take the administrative. Those are the people that get exposed to so many different things within a company. If I didn't accept that role, I wouldn't be close to where I'm at today and I'd still likely be circling around figuring out what it is that I want to do.

So all in all, focus on the best fit for you. Unless you're absolutely dead set on what your future is going to be (and some are lucky enough to know at an early age), just find something that will give you a great experience and great opportunities.

Simba

Staff Member
Oh, and another note... when you're 2 years out of college, no one even looks at your college on your resume anymore, unless we're talking like Harvard or Princeton again. It's all about the experience. Work hard and take internships. They'll give you more skills than a classroom ever will.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
I don't really know anything about either school, but if I was in your shoes, I'd pick SDSU. You're going far enough away where you still get that college feel, but not too far that home isn't right around the corner should you need to go back.

The tuition would be the selling point for me, though. Unless you're going to a Harvard or Princeton, or a school with a top ranked program, the name of the school really doesn't matter that much. So, to me, why pay more to go out of state for little benefit? You definitely have to enjoy college, but you also have to think about life after college as well. Those loans can be a killer.
Money was a big reason I was leaning on SDSU, but I got a nice scholarship from Oregon and after doing the math, the totals would both be within 5 thousands of each other (not to mention if I lived off campus San Diego is a lot more than Eugene)