• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

DUMP THREAD V.9: SZN OVER

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Something kinda cool.. The world track championship is the third most viewed event in the year and brings in A TON of money and coverage right? It's been held in places such as London, Beijing, Barcelona, etc. Well for the first time, it will be in America. In Eugene. (While I would be in college)

Oregon has an incredible sports marketing and business program, something not many schools really have, and that is something I'm really interested in. The school has direct ties with Nike as Knight funds the entire school and Nike picks workers straight from the program.
Not only would getting that opportunity be awesome, but alone being in a city for an event that big must be awesome.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
I haven't had to make a choice quite like that (here in NZ we've got a couple of Asia's top 100 colleges in each of the big fields so the choice is usually pretty easy) and I can't speak for what degree you want to get, but with that said I've found that what you do in the workforce tends to be pretty different to what you're studying. What's important is that the skills you learn are adaptive enough to what you want to do (plus things like critical thinking and argument abstraction if you're doing a more qualitative course).

For example I'm doing a Masters in Professional Economics atm and last year I learnt a bunch of forecasting tools (among other things) and I had a chat to a senior official at the Treasury Department who said they have their own techniques for forecasting. But it's still really good to know about ARCH and ARIMA techniques because you're still getting familiar with forecasting and how it works. You also mentioned business school and honestly those curriculums tend to be pretty standardised - stuff like WACC and operating cash flow don't change just because you're in Oregon instead of California.

The point is that introductory skills like that can be taught almost anywhere (University of Phoenix aside...). So unless one of them is a standout in your field you can't go too far wrong with any of them. If it were me I'd be looking at quality of life stuff so I'd probably go be looking at SDSU because it's closer to home and I tend to prefer warmer weather but that depends on your preferences.

And like @Simba says, fees are a bitch so don't sleep on them being part of your decision (this is where I give my country a plug by saying we get interest-free student loans provided by the government that get paid off with a small tax increase for a few years). If you're doing business you're going to get well acquainted with compound interest and future values, and the difference between two schools once you've paid it all off can be tens of thousands.
Honestly on the weather, Oregon might be the pro for me.
I love rain, and I get that I will probably like it less if I go there, but I have lived in a desert for my entire life and when ever I return home for summer it will continue to be 100 plus every damn day. I've always really wanted to be in a place that has seasons which is my chance right now instead of straight summer every day ( I know I know I will miss it when I leave)
Everything else is super helpful though. I really appreciate this from you and all the other guys here.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Last thing, SDSU is regarded as a complete joke to so many people around here and I'm not to sure why. I know it's an insane party school but they have a lot of good programs especially business and nursing.

I kind of hated their campus if I'm going to be honest though, it just isn't a college campus. I know about 15 people who go there and only 2 say they wish they went there (and they are a long time high school sweetheart couple who only study) which is a major red flag. My neighbor went for her first year and she is trying to transfer to Oregon actually.

I toured both within the last 2 weeks (both on their admission days) and SDSU didn't even let us go into a single dorm or a classroom which was just like uhhh...
They also banned tailgates and no one goes to any of the football games which makes me really sad because.. well duh football.

Oregon, I was there the night of their final 4 game and everyone was insane watching on campus and I loved that spirit. I liked the tour a Lot more and it had way way more of a college campus feel to it than San Diego where everyone goes down to the city and no one stays on campus (besides the frats but that is a rant on another time)

Typing all of this makes me really feel like Oregon is the move but Idk if it is just recently bias because I just got back or not??

IDK FUCK

Simba

Staff Member
Last thing, SDSU is regarded as a complete joke to so many people around here and I'm not to sure why. I know it's an insane party school but they have a lot of good programs especially business and nursing.

I kind of hated their campus if I'm going to be honest though, it just isn't a college campus. I know about 15 people who go there and only 2 say they wish they went there (and they are a long time high school sweetheart couple who only study) which is a major red flag. My neighbor went for her first year and she is trying to transfer to Oregon actually.

I toured both within the last 2 weeks (both on their admission days) and SDSU didn't even let us go into a single dorm or a classroom which was just like uhhh...
They also banned tailgates and no one goes to any of the football games which makes me really sad because.. well duh football.

Oregon, I was there the night of their final 4 game and everyone was insane watching on campus and I loved that spirit. I liked the tour a Lot more and it had way way more of a college campus feel to it than San Diego where everyone goes down to the city and no one stays on campus (besides the frats but that is a rant on another time)

Typing all of this makes me really feel like Oregon is the move but Idk if it is just recently bias because I just got back or not??

IDK FUCK

You sound like you want to go to Oregon, so my last advice would be... stop overthinking it and just do it. This is the perfect time in your life to take risks. Enjoy your college years and make the most of them because it's not that fun out here afterwards lol. If Oregon is that place where you can see yourself enjoying 4 years, do it.

If cost isn't that big of a difference (and $5K isn't when it comes to college), then go where your heart is telling you.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I was being sarcastic. Oregon is a great school.

Just do it if that’s what your heart desires. You’re near Portland so if you get a good GPA you’ll find yourself a good job.

Just don’t become Granola...... all I ask

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
You sound like you want to go to Oregon, so my last advice would be... stop overthinking it and just do it. This is the perfect time in your life to take risks. Enjoy your college years and make the most of them because it's not that fun out here afterwards lol. If Oregon is that place where you can see yourself enjoying 4 years, do it.

If cost isn't that big of a difference (and $5K isn't when it comes to college), then go where your heart is telling you.

Yeah it sounds like the Nike opportunities are good too so the 5k investment may be worth it. Just remember to treat it as a full time job and set yourself up for a good career. And definitely work hard to get internship experience. Business schools can be competitive from what I have heard. But also have some fun

Inqui

Pro Bowler
Honestly on the weather, Oregon might be the pro for me.
I love rain, and I get that I will probably like it less if I go there, but I have lived in a desert for my entire life and when ever I return home for summer it will continue to be 100 plus every damn day. I've always really wanted to be in a place that has seasons which is my chance right now instead of straight summer every day ( I know I know I will miss it when I leave)
Everything else is super helpful though. I really appreciate this from you and all the other guys here.
It sounds like you're talking yourself into Oregon. Again, the difference between schools once you've left is pretty minimal unless one of those schools stands out head and shoulders above the rest (in which case I'd imagine you would have picked already). If you want to go to grad school, the big ones will care more about the score on your admissions test (GMAT for business school, LSAT for law school, etc) and the grades at whatever school you're at than they'll care about which school you went to (if that makes sense), obviously neither of which are tied to what school you pick.

That leaves stuff like quality of life and fees, and it sounds like one of those is pretty much identical and you're drawn to Oregon for the other. I'll echo @Simba in that you don't want to overthink it. I did the same when I was your age and honestly things will work out no matter what you pick. Even if you go full Titanic and pick the worst possible degree at the worst possible school on the worst possible payment plan, a lot of schools have cross-credit options so you can always bail out and pick again. Whenever I think back I can't believe I stressed myself so much over which school I wanted to go to.

Just pick one and enjoy yourself. For your time in college itself I'd ditto the whole work hard and keep an eye out for opportunities as they arise thing (I got my current job by sticking my head into a manager's office and asking if I could do work experience for a couple of weeks during a semester break and that led to a full-time gig with all kinds of opportunities I never would have imagined). Time management's also a big one. My first time around I fucked around a lot and had a scratchy attendance record, never did the readings and left a lot off essays and stuff to the last minute. I was able to pass everything but my grades were at that point where they were solid enough but they could have been way better. Now that I'm coming back for a second stint I've been forced to be way more efficient with my time (fuck doing an all-nighter after an eight-hour shift) and as a result I'm getting far more out of it all and I wish my past self had this kind of mindset.

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
It sounds like you're talking yourself into Oregon. Again, the difference between schools once you've left is pretty minimal unless one of those schools stands out head and shoulders above the rest (in which case I'd imagine you would have picked already). If you want to go to grad school, the big ones will care more about the score on your admissions test (GMAT for business school, LSAT for law school, etc) and the grades at whatever school you're at than they'll care about which school you went to (if that makes sense), obviously neither of which are tied to what school you pick.

That leaves stuff like quality of life and fees, and it sounds like one of those is pretty much identical and you're drawn to Oregon for the other. I'll echo @Simba in that you don't want to overthink it. I did the same when I was your age and honestly things will work out no matter what you pick. Even if you go full Titanic and pick the worst possible degree at the worst possible school on the worst possible payment plan, a lot of schools have cross-credit options so you can always bail out and pick again. Whenever I think back I can't believe I stressed myself so much over which school I wanted to go to.

Just pick one and enjoy yourself. For your time in college itself I'd ditto the whole work hard and keep an eye out for opportunities as they arise thing (I got my current job by sticking my head into a manager's office and asking if I could do work experience for a couple of weeks during a semester break and that led to a full-time gig with all kinds of opportunities I never would have imagined). Time management's also a big one. My first time around I fucked around a lot and had a scratchy attendance record, never did the readings and left a lot off essays and stuff to the last minute. I was able to pass everything but my grades were at that point where they were solid enough but they could have been way better. Now that I'm coming back for a second stint I've been forced to be way more efficient with my time (fuck doing an all-nighter after an eight-hour shift) and as a result I'm getting far more out of it all and I wish my past self had this kind of mindset.

Yeah I slacked around a bit in my early years of college as well. Kinda feel like I am missing out on what I could have learned but I guess that is all part of growing up. Best thing I did was getting out of Engineering and into Math which I ended up liking a lot more. But also taking school seriously helped too. I will say it is a lot easier to maintain a good GPA vs coming back from a bad one. I just got mine over 3.0 last semester after being down around 2.05 when I really started taking school seriously. Not that GPA is overly important(especially past the firsts job, then no one cares) but a GPA over 3.0 opens a lot more doors than one under 3.0 if you don't have much else.

Big thing with internships is just being able to have connections and get skills that can be applied to jobs. A lot of times it isn't so much about what you know but who you know. That said I never got any internships due to my bad GPA but I have networked around a lot at career fairs and passed an actuarial exam. Never too early to talk to career centers as well(looking at you @SepticeyePoe ) as those people are there to help people get jobs/internships

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Big thing with internships is just being able to have connections and get skills that can be applied to jobs. A lot of times it isn't so much about what you know but who you know. That said I never got any internships due to my bad GPA but I have networked around a lot at career fairs and passed an actuarial exam. Never too early to talk to career centers as well(looking at you @SepticeyePoe ) as those people are there to help people get jobs/internships
Yep, I have to get over there at some point.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
I have a 4 page rough draft due tomorrow and I've only written 1 sentence. Just one of those nights...

Simba

Staff Member
I always did this but it never hurt me too much so I never learned not to lol

I had 1 time where it bit me in the ass in college. I couldn't find near as many of those academic articles as I thought I would, so I ended up using some bullshit article from The Onion or something hoping it wouldn't be noticed, but that didn't work out for me lol. Luckily the class was super easy and you got a chance to revise, so I just wrote a paper on an entirely different subject for my 2nd submission and that F was pretty much wiped out.

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
I had 1 time where it bit me in the ass in college. I couldn't find near as many of those academic articles as I thought I would, so I ended up using some bullshit article from The Onion or something hoping it wouldn't be noticed, but that didn't work out for me lol. Luckily the class was super easy and you got a chance to revise, so I just wrote a paper on an entirely different subject for my 2nd submission and that F was pretty much wiped out.
A lot of papers in college I wouldn't start writing much until a couple hours before they were due but I always was able to get something done or I didn't care too much. I think instead of learning to do work early, I just got good at doing it at the end lol

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I have a 4 page rough draft due tomorrow and I've only written 1 sentence. Just one of those nights...
THE.png