• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Eric DeCosta Thread

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
i think he's been aggressive in ways that ozzie never was and unfortunately that aggression has occasionally left us weak in other places
but in terms of creativity with capital and cap, not many GMs in the league i'd trust more to remake a position group in an offseason with limited resources...

day 2 has been an issue for the ravens going back to the ozzie days - i hope it begins to improve with JK, Madubuike already hits (somewhat) and we're hoping for big leaps from Ojabo and Jones in year 2 and now we'll see what happens with Simpson

day 3 is always a lottery - rams did really well for a few years finding guys who were specific scheme fits at value spots in the draft - we've been unlucky with some busts and some injuries in day 3 specifically since EDC became GM but hard to ignore his influence on the drafts before that where we've had amazing success in day 3 especially at EDGE and OL

i think there are legitimate criticisms you could make about being slow to use void years (i get the hesitancy but think other teams understood the future of the cap a little better a little earlier), about how certain positions have been our achilles heel in multiple years in a row (not always the same position), and i think you can make criticisms about positional value (albeit in many cases their effectiveness on the team has somewhat proven EDC right)

ultimately only time will tell - but i do appreciate that he's unafraid to take swings on guys that historically may not have been ravens (overlooking size at WR and EDGE for instance) - if he was gonna be an Ozzie clone, there was no point in moving on from ozzie, im glad he's evolved his style, much like ravens defences have for over a decade of in-house continuity... the same but different

but assuming that Rock Ya-Sin and/or MP are joining the Ravens this offseason (maybe even as soon as this week) and maybe Justin Houston, not sure there's a part of this roster that i don't feel pretty comfortable with in both starting calibre as well as depth (maybe non-NT DL)

with Lamar signed, and this remade receiver group (without sacrificing the OL like when we brought in Bateman but had a swiss cheese OL) I'm so excited about this 2023 season and especially this Monken offence

was weird watching the ravens make picks on day 2 and day 3 and not care so much, because day 1 blew everything we could possible have done all offseason out of the water with the lamar deal and then adding zay
This is all extremely fair. This was a big offseason for him. If Lamar was unsigned, we didn't have Odell and we took Simpson in the first we'd be having a very different conversation.

He had a big challenge on his plate and he fucking stepped up and conquered it.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
also sidenote:

it's amazing having Lacie DeCosta on twitter and I love what she (and others have said), because I like EDC from all the stuff I've seen from him, and he already looks so much more relaxed

obviously parasocial relationships are not amazing but i do have an affinity and an empathy for EDC because of the way he is, and it was amazing seeing the change in body language at the trenton simpson presser vs a few weeks ago

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This is all extremely fair. This was a big offseason for him. If Lamar was unsigned, we didn't have Odell and we took Simpson in the first we'd be having a very different conversation.

He had a big challenge on his plate and he fucking stepped up and conquered it.

and ill be honest, that's what many of us feared might happen
that the uncertainty around Lamar might prevent us from improving the team and turn 2023 into an automatically underpowered (and therefore likely lost) season, that lamar's relationship might sour in a way that not only might he not stay but that he might not even return us the picks he's worth

not gonna worry about a 3rd rounder tbh in that sense

obviously still CB and EDGE to potentially supplement before August, but by all accounts, that looks to be basically sorted as well (and all the while protecting a 4th round comp pick for 2024)

was highly stressful, and im so glad this didnt drag on until the franchise tag negotiation window ended because that would have been awful - especially as we head to the real "off" season for the NFL (because you know there would only be one topic on anyone's mind for those 2-3 months)

im just glad i can look up Lamar or EDC on twitter, or youtube and not see a flurry of takes and videos that make me want to throw my laptop out the window

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
and ill be honest, that's what many of us feared might happen
that the uncertainty around Lamar might prevent us from improving the team and turn 2023 into an automatically underpowered (and therefore likely lost) season, that lamar's relationship might sour in a way that not only might he not stay but that he might not even return us the picks he's worth

not gonna worry about a 3rd rounder tbh in that sense

obviously still CB and EDGE to potentially supplement before August, but by all accounts, that looks to be basically sorted as well (and all the while protecting a 4th round comp pick for 2024)

was highly stressful, and im so glad this didnt drag on until the franchise tag negotiation window ended because that would have been awful - especially as we head to the real "off" season for the NFL (because you know there would only be one topic on anyone's mind for those 2-3 months)

im just glad i can look up Lamar or EDC on twitter, or youtube and not see a flurry of takes and videos that make me want to throw my laptop out the window
Agreed all around. I'm so at peace now with respect to the whole team. It's feeling fun and exciting for the first time in a long time

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Agreed all around. I'm so at peace now with respect to the whole team. It's feeling fun and exciting for the first time in a long time

100% - lamar re-signing obviously lifts a weight off everyone's shoulders -
1) because it was a ball-ache generally
2) because it creates more certainty around cap and potential cap flexibility
3) because this place was getting so toxic (and this is normally the only sanctuary from truly toxic platforms when things are fucked)

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
100% - lamar re-signing obviously lifts a weight off everyone's shoulders -
1) because it was a ball-ache generally
2) because it creates more certainty around cap and potential cap flexibility
3) because this place was getting so toxic (and this is normally the only sanctuary from truly toxic platforms when things are fucked)
Absolutely!!! And I hope that shades of 2019 make their way back into the team.

I've never been happier as a fan than seeing Lamar and Mark and Hollywood just laughing it up being legitimately happy as we blow out teams. Lamar hasn't been happy in a little while and I hope this unlocks him again.

It's gotta be extremely taxing to be Lamar the player and Lamar the agent.

marklar

Pro Bowler
Some thoughts from me on this

* Media always said that the small school picks was an EDC specialty - but when he got the reins officially, that sort of stopped. Maybe just a coincidence based on how the boards fall, but it seems like that was more of an Ozzie thing. I'm fine with either approache, I just find it a bit surprising based on what has been written

* I don't study prospects very much but after an Ozzie draft I could usually guess at what they were planning with the various picks. After an EDC draft, I'm usually really really confused with how they are planning to use the draftees. Not saying it is better or worse, but I seldom see the big picture by looking at the drafted players

* With EDC, there's been a shift towards more athletic but raw prospects compared to seasoned players with more college production. Here I do prefer the old approach - even if the payoff is larger for the "high ceiling guys", I don't like having to wait for 2+ years until the light turns on. An example would be Queen who *now* is a very good player, but 2 1/4 seasons as a bit of a liability to me isn't maximizing your 1st round picks. I know the athletic focus is general around the league so this isn't just a Ravens trend

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
EDC is back on my love list being transferred from my shit list after he got my son to sign the contract. But, seriously, what he has pulled off over the last 30 days is simply phenomenal and I'm sure has made Ozzie proud of his protege! I'm in awe of the huge, uncommon, disparity between the two sizes, his body and his dick.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
there were some moments where i had my doubts
and i definitely thought, once we got to the new league year, that this situation would linger on until 2024

and im so glad it hasnt, because i was so done with this forum being so miserable lol - i enjoy debate and discussion and difference of opinoin on this forum but the lamar contract stuff devolved into FB and twitter level arguments and trolling and i definitely spent significantly less time here this offseason so far than i have in previous years

happy to think of this as a fun and happy place again
The whole situation definitely killed my enthusiasm for the draft right up until 2-3 hours before it started lol

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
With no cap space and 5 draft picks, I’m coming out of the FA/draft period probably as excited for our long term prospects as I’ve ever been.

5 more years for Lamar to show us what he’s got, no more contract distractions, no more Greg Roman, no more miles Boykin and Willie Snead and Sammy Watkins. The OL looks SKRONG, assuming we add MP and rock, our defense Looks like an elite unit, looks like we got an actual nfl caliber wr room, healthy dobbins and Gus, healthy stanley. It’s nice to be out of the “year to year” window full of uncertainty and moving on to the next stage where our core of players is set for the long term

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Some thoughts from me on this

* Media always said that the small school picks was an EDC specialty - but when he got the reins officially, that sort of stopped. Maybe just a coincidence based on how the boards fall, but it seems like that was more of an Ozzie thing. I'm fine with either approache, I just find it a bit surprising based on what has been written

* I don't study prospects very much but after an Ozzie draft I could usually guess at what they were planning with the various picks. After an EDC draft, I'm usually really really confused with how they are planning to use the draftees. Not saying it is better or worse, but I seldom see the big picture by looking at the drafted players

* With EDC, there's been a shift towards more athletic but raw prospects compared to seasoned players with more college production. Here I do prefer the old approach - even if the payoff is larger for the "high ceiling guys", I don't like having to wait for 2+ years until the light turns on. An example would be Queen who *now* is a very good player, but 2 1/4 seasons as a bit of a liability to me isn't maximizing your 1st round picks. I know the athletic focus is general around the league so this isn't just a Ravens trend
I feel like the transfer portal paired with covid has really limited the scope of small school prospects

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
With no cap space and 5 draft picks, I’m coming out of the FA/draft period probably as excited for our long term prospects as I’ve ever been.

5 more years for Lamar to show us what he’s got, no more contract distractions, no more Greg Roman, no more miles Boykin and Willie Snead and Sammy Watkins. The OL looks SKRONG, assuming we add MP and rock, our defense Looks like an elite unit, looks like we got an actual nfl caliber wr room, healthy dobbins and Gus, healthy stanley. It’s nice to be out of the “year to year” window full of uncertainty and moving on to the next stage where our core of players is set for the long term
Of course, health is a huge ass contingency but I see at least 10 wins with this team (leaning towards 11).

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Think it's interesting that in his talk with Florio, EDC admited himself that he has done a poor job trying to maximize Lamar.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Think it's interesting that in his talk with Florio, EDC admited himself that he has done a poor job trying to maximize Lamar.
we have had issues being up against the cap and at the time we weren't using voidable years contracts. Now that Lamar is signed, it will be interesting how we move forward in void years. I'd prefer them not go overboard in this or it will kill us down the road.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
we have had issues being up against the cap and at the time we weren't using voidable years contracts. Now that Lamar is signed, it will be interesting how we move forward in void years. I'd prefer them not go overboard in this or it will kill us down the road.
Agreed. Think OBJ is the only one to have them so far?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
now that the 2020 draft class is in year four, it is a good time to review.

1st - Patrick Queen has become a beast.
2nd -JK Dobbins -- unfortunately he's been injured most of the time, but he's damn good when healthy.
3rd - Madubuike -- improving every year and I hope he gets extended. Very good piick.
3rd - Duvernay - could have done better
3rd - Malik Harrison -- looks like he's finally starting to put it together. Played very well on Sunday.
4th - Ben Bredeson - not a good pick but traded for a 5th and a 7th (Giants)
5th - Broderick Washington - a good pick that has already been extended. He's such an underrated player.
6th - James Proche - enough said
7th - Geno Stone - damn good 7th round pick.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
now that the 2020 draft class is in year four, it is a good time to review.

1st - Patrick Queen has become a beast.
2nd -JK Dobbins -- unfortunately he's been injured most of the time, but he's damn good when healthy.
3rd - Madubuike -- improving every year and I hope he gets extended. Very good piick.
3rd - Duvernay - could have done better
3rd - Malik Harrison -- looks like he's finally starting to put it together. Played very well on Sunday.
4th - Ben Bredeson - not a good pick but traded for a 5th and a 7th (Giants)
5th - Broderick Washington - a good pick that has already been extended. He's such an underrated player.
6th - James Proche - enough said
7th - Geno Stone - damn good 7th round pick.

Overall a good draft. I'd even go as far as saying its an A considering how good Dobbins is when playing