• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Eric DeCosta Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Exactly. I remember when folks on social media (not so much on this site) were okay of letting Lamar walk and let Huntley be the full-time starter after last season. LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

yep - we should have taken names last year just to remind ourselves who to ignore regarding QB discussions this year lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Nothing worth having in Free agency unless you want another retread 30 year old to be one of our top guy.

Sterling Shepard
Nelson Agholor
Jarvis Landry

Marvin Jones, DJ Chark, and JuJu Smith are probably the best ones available

DJ Chark
Jarvis Landry
Jakobi Meyers
Juju Smith-Schuster
Allan Lazard

all guys i absolutely wouldnt hate bringing in if we could do it reasonably - Meyers i think is probably the best receiver of the group but idk how much he's gonna get himself in free agency as potentially the top guy available (might get crazy money like christian kirk last year)

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
for sure that will help
i still think that even with that, it's gonna be tough to hit all those spots - at best we'll be looking at stop gaps at certain spots that we may not be enthused by... depending on the outcome of the draft etc... i would not at all be surprised if we re-signed Houston and/or JPP again or those types of guys
I think Houston has another year of managed snaps in him.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Who is the one receiver for Lamar we can trade for, assuming he is signed to a multi-year contract? A trade in the Tyreek Hill/Stefon Diggs mold?

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
DJ Chark
Jarvis Landry
Jakobi Meyers
Juju Smith-Schuster
Allan Lazard

all guys i absolutely wouldnt hate bringing in if we could do it reasonably - Meyers i think is probably the best receiver of the group but idk how much he's gonna get himself in free agency as potentially the top guy available (might get crazy money like christian kirk last year)
I'd take Chark, Meyers or Juju happily.

Landry has been a non-factor through injury again this season and Lazard couldn't do it, despite being Rodgers favorite and most trusted target. He's done a lot less than Kamar Aiken did in the same circumstances. As a receiver he isn't even a Sammy Watkins or Demarcus Robinson.

He's a WR5 who's seems like a big name because he plays for the Packers, but he's a good run blocker so that's probably who we'll end up with, sadly.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Who is the one receiver for Lamar we can trade for, assuming he is signed to a multi-year contract? A trade in the Tyreek Hill/Stefon Diggs mold?

I would say nobody at this point. I don't see any of the top guys even being remotely available

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Maybe Michael Thomas but he has been plagued by injuries and I am not sure the Saints would part with him

Thezone27

Ravens Ring of Honor
Maybe Michael Thomas but he has been plagued by injuries and I am not sure the Saints would part with him
The Saints would because they know that his name is so much bigger than what he can actually do. We shouldn't fall into that trap.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
If he doesn't sign Lamar this off season after the SB win, he should be fired or demoted back to his old position. Reinstate Ozzie.

Thezone27

Ravens Ring of Honor
If he doesn't sign Lamar this off season after the SB win, he should be fired or demoted back to his old position. Reinstate Ozzie.
Not sure I agree with that. If he gets us a ridiculously unfair to the other team trade of Lamar, he should also stay.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
When the season is all said an done, I think the blame for this season will be extremely clear. Overwhelmingly this falls as an enormous blunder on the GM. Secondarily you can blame the HC for not making a change at OC last year and for not selecting a better candidate than MM for the DC this year.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Nothing worth having in Free agency unless you want another retread 30 year old to be one of our top guy.

Sterling Shepard
Nelson Agholor
Jarvis Landry

Marvin Jones, DJ Chark, and JuJu Smith are probably the best ones available
Our 2 best WRs in the last 20 years, Mason and Boldin, were 30+ when they came to Baltimore.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Just want to say this before any LJ news comes out. I have not at all been a fan of EDC over his tenure. At the end of Ozzie's career we've been told EDC had been running the draft for multiple years.

Take those years and the years he's been officially GM I don't think he's been better than absolutely average in the draft. He's been totally average with FA as well imo. His best thing has been trades so far. That being said roster construction has been incredibly suspect for years.

Finally how we've handled the Lamar situation has been awful. Obviously we'll find out more soon but my guess is we're in the wrong.

I'm not trying to say he's been garbage. He's been average, but I cannot say I'm a fan

Last edited:

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Well it was tough at times not knowing what was going on as a fan

But hard to say anything but this offseason, with the benefit of hindsight, was a masterpiece by EDC
I've been his biggest critic.

Over time, I think it became clear with more data that he did not mismanage Lamar at all. It truly took the nonexclusive tag, a trade request, and Jalen Hurts for Lamar to budge. So for his continued efforts here EDC is a hero because in the end everyone won.

His drafting has been meh. He's been really good on day 1 but struggled mightily after that for most of his drafts so far. 2022 was a damn good year for him. The expectation is hopefully that he can at least stay at this level and continue to improve.

His roster construction has been extremely bad for a couple of years. And in a largely inexcusable way. That being said this offenseason, he absolutely did every single thing he needed to do.

EDC showed up big for this team this year and now it's time for our team to bring him home a Lombardi

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I've been his biggest critic.

Over time, I think it became clear with more data that he did not mismanage Lamar at all. It truly took the nonexclusive tag, a trade request, and Jalen Hurts for Lamar to budge. So for his continued efforts here EDC is a hero because in the end everyone won.

His drafting has been meh. He's been really good on day 1 but struggled mightily after that for most of his drafts so far. 2022 was a damn good year for him. The expectation is hopefully that he can at least stay at this level and continue to improve.

His roster construction has been extremely bad for a couple of years. And in a largely inexcusable way. That being said this offenseason, he absolutely did every single thing he needed to do.

EDC showed up big for this team this year and now it's time for our team to bring him home a Lombardi

i think he's been aggressive in ways that ozzie never was and unfortunately that aggression has occasionally left us weak in other places
but in terms of creativity with capital and cap, not many GMs in the league i'd trust more to remake a position group in an offseason with limited resources...

day 2 has been an issue for the ravens going back to the ozzie days - i hope it begins to improve with JK, Madubuike already hits (somewhat) and we're hoping for big leaps from Ojabo and Jones in year 2 and now we'll see what happens with Simpson

day 3 is always a lottery - rams did really well for a few years finding guys who were specific scheme fits at value spots in the draft - we've been unlucky with some busts and some injuries in day 3 specifically since EDC became GM but hard to ignore his influence on the drafts before that where we've had amazing success in day 3 especially at EDGE and OL

i think there are legitimate criticisms you could make about being slow to use void years (i get the hesitancy but think other teams understood the future of the cap a little better a little earlier), about how certain positions have been our achilles heel in multiple years in a row (not always the same position), and i think you can make criticisms about positional value (albeit in many cases their effectiveness on the team has somewhat proven EDC right)

ultimately only time will tell - but i do appreciate that he's unafraid to take swings on guys that historically may not have been ravens (overlooking size at WR and EDGE for instance) - if he was gonna be an Ozzie clone, there was no point in moving on from ozzie, im glad he's evolved his style, much like ravens defences have for over a decade of in-house continuity... the same but different

but assuming that Rock Ya-Sin and/or MP are joining the Ravens this offseason (maybe even as soon as this week) and maybe Justin Houston, not sure there's a part of this roster that i don't feel pretty comfortable with in both starting calibre as well as depth (maybe non-NT DL)

with Lamar signed, and this remade receiver group (without sacrificing the OL like when we brought in Bateman but had a swiss cheese OL) I'm so excited about this 2023 season and especially this Monken offence

was weird watching the ravens make picks on day 2 and day 3 and not care so much, because day 1 blew everything we could possible have done all offseason out of the water with the lamar deal and then adding zay

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Knocked it out of the park. Properly.

there were some moments where i had my doubts
and i definitely thought, once we got to the new league year, that this situation would linger on until 2024

and im so glad it hasnt, because i was so done with this forum being so miserable lol - i enjoy debate and discussion and difference of opinoin on this forum but the lamar contract stuff devolved into FB and twitter level arguments and trolling and i definitely spent significantly less time here this offseason so far than i have in previous years

happy to think of this as a fun and happy place again