• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Eric DeCosta Thread

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I don't think they'll move off Harbs unless a) we tank the rest of the year and miss the playoffs entirely or b) Lamar makes some sort of power play and forces sweeping changes at multiple levels. Even then, I think Steve would side with John and just let Lamar leave.

Agree with others on Roman. Going to take a very deep run and high offensive output for the next month in order for Roman to keep his job next year.
Yeah I think this is the most likely outcome. But Harbs has made it pretty clear that he thought the best way to bring this Lamar led team to the promised land is through Roman. And then if you consider his track record with OCs and actually just Raven offenses over his entire tenure have largely been bottom 3rd in the league, you could rationally say that it's time to bring in offensive youth into the coaching staff at the HC position.

But I think it's more likely that the EDC - Harbs - Steve B clique remains.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
This man needs to learn that it's not acceptable to ignore entire position groups. Can't prioritize all of them obviously but ignoring is not an option.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Sign Lamar a blank check. Fuck it.

just get it done
let's be real... the only thing holding this back is the precedent...

whether it's fully guaranteed or just 80% guaranteed, we're still gonna be on the hook for basically his whole deal so just suck it up and pay it and get out of this limbo state

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This man needs to learn that it's not acceptable to ignore entire position groups. Can't prioritize all of them obviously but ignoring is not an option.

im afraid that with our limited resources this offseason, you're gonna be disappointed again lol

if WR doesnt get fixed, you can consider it malpractice...

but I think we've got significant positions we need to retool: WR, CB, DL, RB, EDGE and not a ton of capital to attack all those positions with

i have a feeling that it'll potentially be CB (although the draft is apparently promising)

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
im afraid that with our limited resources this offseason, you're gonna be disappointed again lol

but I think we've got significant positions we need to retool: WR, CB, DL, RB, EDGE and not a ton of capital to attack all those positions with

i have a feeling that it'll potentially be CB (although the draft is apparently promising)
His only choice to be able to address everything is to sign Lamar. Fucking do it already or bring in someone who will.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
just get it done

whether it's fully guaranteed or just 80% guaranteed, we're still gonna be on the hook for basically his whole deal so just suck it up and pay it and get out of this limbo state
Exactly. I remember when folks on social media (not so much on this site) were okay of letting Lamar walk and let Huntley be the full-time starter after last season. LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

if we extend Lamar we should be able to be active in free agency, but not sure what WRs will be available during free agency and of course our lack of picks (this years picks) will limit us in trades, unless we trade Queen for a WR or a 2nd round pick that can be used for a WR.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
if we extend Lamar we should be able to be active in free agency, but not sure what WRs will be available during free agency and of course our lack of picks (this years picks) will limit us in trades, unless we trade Queen for a WR or a 2nd round pick that can be used for a WR.

Nothing worth having in Free agency unless you want another retread 30 year old to be one of our top guy.

Sterling Shepard
Nelson Agholor
Jarvis Landry

Marvin Jones, DJ Chark, and JuJu Smith are probably the best ones available

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
EDC will be evaluated on how he deals with the Lamar situation. As for the drafts, he has been a solid 'C' thus far. If he can pull off the extension of Lamar Jackson, he'd have a legacy to build on. If Lamar has to walk, EDC will go down as an ineffective GM at best and a horrible one at worst.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
EDC will be evaluated on how he deals with the Lamar situation. As for the drafts, he has been a solid 'C' thus far. If he can pull off the extension of Lamar Jackson, he'd have a legacy to build on. If Lamar has to walk, EDC will go down as an ineffective GM at best and a horrible one at worst.
I agree but I’m also not sure EDC is the issue for Lamar. This one maybe on Steve causing the hold up.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
I agree but I’m also not sure EDC is the issue for Lamar. This one maybe on Steve causing the hold up.
You may have a point there. It could very well be Steve putting down parameters for EDC to work within. Still, it is up to him to convince Steve to move and to have Lamar move if needed. That is a critical skillset for a GM, no?

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
just get it done

I think it is the inability of Bisciotti to front all that cash into escrow. Just because the dude is a billionaire doesn't mean he has huge cash reserves lying around. Most of these guys have money vis-a-vis their market capitalizations and valuations of their companies. They do have working capital but not necessarily to put up 250M into escrow for one player! At least Bisciotti may not have that kind of money.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I think it is the inability of Bisciotti to front all that cash into escrow. Just because the dude is a billionaire doesn't mean he has huge cash reserves lying around. Most of these guys have money vis-a-vis their market capitalizations and valuations of their companies. They do have working capital but not necessarily to put up 250M into escrow for one player! At least Bisciotti may not have that kind of money.
I'm sure he could very swiftly get a loan or come up with the money, but if he can avoid it, why wouldn't he? He doesn't want his money doing nothing.

Simba

Staff Member
I mean, he's got the money. And if he doesn't, he can get it in a minute or less. It's a principle thing because when one position starts getting fully guaranteed, then they all start pushing for fully guaranteed. That becomes untenable in a league with a hard cap and the owners know that.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm sure he could very swiftly get a loan or come up with the money, but if he can avoid it, why wouldn't he? He doesn't want his money doing nothing.

I mean, he's got the money. And if he doesn't, he can get it in a minute or less. It's a principle thing because when one position starts getting fully guaranteed, then they all start pushing for fully guaranteed. That becomes untenable in a league with a hard cap and the owners know that.
I agree with both of you because they are salient points. I'm sure he could get a loan in a heartbeat, but there is a cost to borrowing money as well. The way it is structured, there is very little risk associated with team owners because all the money required for operations is generated by the respective teams. In this instance, owners have to assume far more risk by fronting money not just at one position but creating an undesirable precedent that would make them look like the MLB and NBA.

Simba

Staff Member
I agree with both of you because they are salient points. I'm sure he could get a loan in a heartbeat, but there is a cost to borrowing money as well. The way it is structured, there is very little risk associated with team owners because all the money required for operations is generated by the respective teams. In this instance, owners have to assume far more risk by fronting money not just at one position but creating an undesirable precedent that would make them look like the MLB and NBA.
It's still principle more than anything else. If Lamar agreed to a $250M deal with $200M guaranteed, Bisciotti would have that money available in an instant. $50M in escrow in not making or breaking this deal.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Nothing worth having in Free agency unless you want another retread 30 year old to be one of our top guy.

Sterling Shepard
Nelson Agholor
Jarvis Landry

Marvin Jones, DJ Chark, and JuJu Smith are probably the best ones available
I've always liked DJ Chark. He's a decent number 2

rossihunter2

Staff Member
His only choice to be able to address everything is to sign Lamar. Fucking do it already or bring in someone who will.

for sure that will help
i still think that even with that, it's gonna be tough to hit all those spots - at best we'll be looking at stop gaps at certain spots that we may not be enthused by... depending on the outcome of the draft etc... i would not at all be surprised if we re-signed Houston and/or JPP again or those types of guys