• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Welcome to Baltimore: Earl Thomas and Mark Ingram

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
earl thomas.gif

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I know that people are scared Earl is here because of how complicated the defense was last year.

1. Earl thomas is one of the 5 smartest players in the league, QBs included. His football IQ might be greater than a CJ or a Weddle, at worst it’s equal. He’s got tremendous instincts and was athletically so off of the charts that even if he loses a step he’d be an upper echelon athlete at the position. He’s a fit in literally every defense
2. Thomas is an elite player. You don’t shove him into your system, you build your system around him. And yes, that may make it easier to read our defensive alignments but it actually makes playing us harder. There’s nothing more terrifying to opposing OCs than a defense that’s simple, and you know what they’re going to do on most plays, and you can still do nothing to stop them from shutting you down. Thomas opens up that door bigger than Weddle ever could.
3. Do you not understand how ridiculously easy Thomas makes assignments for everyone else? Jimmy and Marlon are #1 corners and Carr was also damn good last year and so was the Tavon. I trust them. Jefferson will now be allowed to THRIVE in the box?

Want something to worry about, go worry about the pass rush

RavensPunkXVX

Pro Bowler
I feel more comfortable NOW with plays through the middle of the field than I have in the last couple of years. If we stay with Kenny Young or even a combination of him/Pat, and Earl Thomas back there, I'm hoping the Ravens get beat less by tight ends and running backs.

It's no secret that the secondary has been really good, but with Thomas in town, it gets better. I'm hoping to see less huge plays beating us in the final two minutes of football games. The secondary is the least of my worries. I agree with @Lost_In_Translation, I'm more worried about the rush. They need to buckle down and find some pass rush.

Welcome, Earl Thomas and Mark Ingram!

I can get down with the Ingram signing. I like the veteran presence, and I personally think a HB off the street would be able to produce in our rushing system so he's gonna be a big piece of the offense. Gotta get stronger on the O-line. The Boyle re-signing looks nice now.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I may have been this level of happy for new guys only when we brought in Steve Smith. It's probably little bit better this time around because of the way it happened - losing Sizzle and CJ the same day wasn't pleasant experience, then BOOM!

Maybe they'll get together soon to reminisce on that 2010 natty game.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Wonder what jerseys everyone going to rock now. My friend owe me a jersey when we made a bet on which team will have a better regular season record, eagles or ravens.

Was waiting til the draft to claim it. Hmmm

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
On my phone, I have both theScore (scoreboard watching purposes) and Bleacher Report (news, rumors, etc.). I first got the theScore notification while I was at work. Saw the word Earl Thomas and I'm like, "*sighs* Yep, he's a Brown." Then, I saw the words "Ravens" and I'm like........

giphy.gif

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Wonder what jerseys everyone going to rock now. My friend owe me a jersey when we made a bet on which team will have a better regular season record, eagles or ravens.

Was waiting til the draft to claim it. Hmmm
LOL, I have a ongoing bet with a friend who's a Bengals fan. Whoever sweeps the other gets $5. I unfortunately owe him $5 and I ask him when does he want to meet up to collect the money, but I haven't gotten an answer in quite some time. Oh well, more money for me.

To get the best ball hawking talent the league has had since ER20 with this group of corners is amazing. Only concern with him is availability. Ingram at 5m per year was the right price.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
The difference in excitement between the two was striking to me. It has probably got more to do with their personalities but Ingram sounded like he was really rearing to go! Earl Thomas seems to be very quiet much like Mosley.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
On my phone, I have both theScore (scoreboard watching purposes) and Bleacher Report (news, rumors, etc.). I first got the theScore notification while I was at work. Saw the word Earl Thomas and I'm like, "*sighs* Yep, he's a Brown." Then, I saw the words "Ravens" and I'm like........

giphy.gif

I wonder if we offer him that much of the Browns font get Beckham. Anyway, feel hes a perfect addition if he stays healthy. That is a major upgrade on our defense.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I wonder if we offer him that much of the Browns font get Beckham. Anyway, feel hes a perfect addition if he stays healthy. That is a major upgrade on our defense.
It’s an upgrade. I’d argue that Earl is possibly the smartest defensive player in the league and he fits into every defense like a snug glove.

We need to add a pass rusher or two. Or three. But it’s a hell of an upgrade

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
It’s an upgrade. I’d argue that Earl is possibly the smartest defensive player in the league and he fits into every defense like a snug glove.

We need to add a pass rusher or two. Or three. But it’s a hell of an upgrade
Not sure if he's the smartest (B. Wagner calls Seattle D plays) but he is smart. The thing about him is that he has the range to go with instincts / smarts, which makes him a special kind of player.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Not sure if he's the smartest (B. Wagner calls Seattle D plays) but he is smart. The thing about him is that he has the range to go with instincts / smarts, which makes him a special kind of player.
His ability to read defenses anyways gives me little doubt that he can call the defense here and make any adjustments. Despite giving the finger to the Seattle sideline he's notable for being a leader. Dude is that smart.

Best defensive player we've had here since in his prime Ngata and a clear cut upgrade over Weddle... Makes the defense better in so many ways, most notably letting jefferson go back into the box full time.

We really need pass rushers... The only ones on the roster right now are either overrated(Judon) or really inexperienced and have yet to prove themselves(Tim Williams and Willie Henry), or a square peg that Harbaugh is trying to fit into a round hole(Bowser is NOT A PASS RUSHER. HE'S A SAM BACKER).

I don't doubt the talent of Henry and Williams, I think both can be pro bowlers, and I think Harbaugh has been fucking terrible at handling both of their developments. And trade Bowser to a team that will know how to use him. Get some value for him please.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

His ability to read defenses anyways gives me little doubt that he can call the defense here and make any adjustments. Despite giving the finger to the Seattle sideline he's notable for being a leader. Dude is that smart.

Best defensive player we've had here since in his prime Ngata and a clear cut upgrade over Weddle... Makes the defense better in so many ways, most notably letting jefferson go back into the box full time.

We really need pass rushers... The only ones on the roster right now are either overrated(Judon) or really inexperienced and have yet to prove themselves(Tim Williams and Willie Henry), or a square peg that Harbaugh is trying to fit into a round hole(Bowser is NOT A PASS RUSHER. HE'S A SAM BACKER).

I don't doubt the talent of Henry and Williams, I think both can be pro bowlers, and I think Harbaugh has been fucking terrible at handling both of their developments. And trade Bowser to a team that will know how to use him. Get some value for him please.

he is a cerebral player and he takes risks because he backs himself to know where the ball's going and more often than not he's right

but in terms of calling plays and having the green dot ive kind of come around full circle - im pretty sure he wont be calling the plays given the strength of him as a deep safety especially single-high - and that kind of play style will make it much harder for him to call plays effectively and position himself and communicate - ive kind of started wondering if it will be TJ calling plays

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Sounds like we tilted when we lost Mosley. Don’t know if that’s a good thing or bad thing. But I’m more excited about the combo of ET and peanut / young than I would be with Mosley with Clark / Elliot

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Good point. What's crazy is that he said that it was a last minute decision with the Ravens. I think our reputation with being a defensive force is probably what attracted him to us. I believe that's the very reason why Carr came here from DAL.