• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Perriman and WR Hype

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Only us fans think that running formations with one receiver and TE and expect something to happen. The concept of spreading the defense out is completely gone.

As for Perriman? I genuinely feel bad for him, this offense makes no sense and he like many of our offensive players have disappeared. Boyle, Maxx, Ben, Wallace, Maclin, Moore, Perriman, and Camp. What do they all have in common?

Nobody can convince me that as a group they suck, it is clearly something else.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Only us fans think that running formations with one receiver and TE and expect something to happen. The concept of spreading the defense out is completely gone.

As for Perriman? I genuinely feel bad for him, this offense makes no sense and he like many of our offensive players have disappeared. Boyle, Maxx, Ben, Wallace, Maclin, Moore, Perriman, and Camp. What do they all have in common?

Nobody can convince me that as a group they suck, it is clearly something else.

I get what you are saying and agree....to a degree.

I'm not one for all of the "one receiver" formations whatsoever. I believe that you put your "5 best" players on the field (i.e. 3 wr's, rb, te) and scheme formations and plays for those 5 players. I'm all for the "spread'em and shred'em" scheme and then running those "power" formations (i.e. 1 wr) to move the chains on short yardage or to run the clock out. Mix it up!

But, as far as the receivers, they can't seem to get separation or open, run routes, or even catch or make plays in the air fighting for the ball etc. So, if that's not "sucking" what is? Or, what do you think can be the reason for their lack of production as a unit? I mean, I can understand when 1 receiver is off, but all of ours seem to be off at the same in nearly every game.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I get what you are saying and agree....to a degree.

I'm not one for all of the "one receiver" formations whatsoever. I believe that you put your "5 best" players on the field (i.e. 3 wr's, rb, te) and scheme formations and plays for those 5 players. I'm all for the "spread'em and shred'em" scheme and then running those "power" formations (i.e. 1 wr) to move the chains on short yardage or to run the clock out. Mix it up!

But, as far as the receivers, they can't seem to get separation or open, run routes, or even catch or make plays in the air fighting for the ball etc. So, if that's not "sucking" what is? Or, what do you think can be the reason for their lack of production as a unit? I mean, I can understand when 1 receiver is off, but all of ours seem to be off at the same in nearly every game.

There are 2 easy answers: scheme and quality

- often our receivers aren’t running complementary routes which suggests bad design
- our receivers get open in Man 1v1 sometimes but a lot of them seem lost trying to find the soft spot in the zone

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
There are 2 easy answers: scheme and quality

- often our receivers aren’t running complementary routes which suggests bad design
- our receivers get open in Man 1v1 sometimes but a lot of them seem lost trying to find the soft spot in the zone

So, the receivers are so inept that they can't "find" the soft spots in the zone? Something that they should be able to do? And, if they are open in Man 1v1 scenarios, how come Joe is constantly throwing a check down instead of beyond the sticks for the big yards or the big play down the field?

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So, the receivers are so inept that they can't "find" the soft spots in the zone? Something that they should be able to do? And, if they are open in Man 1v2 scenarios, how come Joe is constantly throwing a check down instead of beyond the sticks for the big yards or the big play down the field?

I didn’t say they were open all the time but a lot of their route running is schemes into double or triple coverage with only 2 receivers at a time running routes which is fine sometimes but we do it way too often

Another problem is we sometimes seem to end up with multiple receivers in the same area which undermines any route that got a guy open if extra coverage is on its way

And as has been said in another thread and in commentary on Monday night - it seems like joe really isn’t looking deep/intermediate despite often having time to do so... hence checkdowns and 1 read

And tbf the receivers do need to catch the ball when it’s thrown downfield a la the awful Wallace drop/incompletion - there were 2 lack of effort incompletions to him vs Houston a worrying MO of his from this season

I personally would love to go 3 wide and spread out the opposing defence but for some reason we just don’t do it often at all and that is most definitely playcalling

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
So, the receivers are so inept that they can't "find" the soft spots in the zone? Something that they should be able to do? And, if they are open in Man 1v2 scenarios, how come Joe is constantly throwing a check down instead of beyond the sticks for the big yards or the big play down the field?
I saw little separation by our receivers in the Texans game. When the Houston Qb had time, his receivers sometimes didnt have a Ravens defender within 5 yards of them.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I saw little separation by our receivers in the Texans game. When the Houston Qb had time, his receivers sometimes didnt have a Ravens defender within 5 yards of them.

Perriman was open when Joe threw that ball wide

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I didn’t say they were open all the time but a lot of their route running is schemes into double or triple coverage with only 2 receivers at a time running routes which is fine sometimes but we do it way too often

Another problem is we sometimes seem to end up with multiple receivers in the same area which undermines any route that got a guy open if extra coverage is on its way

And as has been said in another thread and in commentary on Monday night - it seems like joe really isn’t looking deep/intermediate despite often having time to do so... hence checkdowns and 1 read

And tbf the receivers do need to catch the ball when it’s thrown downfield a la the awful Wallace drop/incompletion - there were 2 lack of effort incompletions to him vs Houston a worrying MO of his from this season

I personally would love to go 3 wide and spread out the opposing defence but for some reason we just don’t do it often at all and that is most definitely playcalling

I agree, we do have multiple receivers in the same area at times. So, again; is that Joe's fault, Marty's fault or the receivers fault?

Pitta "exposed" the fact that Joe only has one read and then an immediate check down. We're seeing that play out every week!

The question to me becomes, "IF" a receiver isn't open....why throw the ball deep? So, again; is the fact that the receivers may not be getting open deep on Joe, Marty or the receivers themselves?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I agree, we do have multiple receivers in the same area at times. So, again; is that Joe's fault, Marty's fault or the receivers fault?

Pitta "exposed" the fact that Joe only has one read and then an immediate check down. We're seeing that play out every week!

The question to me becomes, "IF" a receiver isn't open....why throw the ball deep? So, again; is the fact that the receivers may not be getting open deep on Joe, Marty or the receivers themselves?

but joe is also missing wide open receivers when reading the field...

this image has been doing the rounds all week:
View attachment 335

this is a td but joe doesnt go beyond his first read - this is legit a great time to checkdown to your back but nope the one time the checkdown is a great option joe doesnt even look that way

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer

View attachment 335

this is a td but joe doesnt go beyond his first read - this is legit a great time to checkdown to your back but nope the one time the checkdown is a great option joe doesnt even look that way
I saw an article recently that highlighted when Joe checks down and it is always, always, always when the check down option is covered and it's kinda maddening.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I saw an article recently that highlighted when Joe checks down and it is always, always, always when the check down option is covered and it's kinda maddening.

there was a play in the 2 minute offence that pissed me off mightily - we were trying to go down the field and no one seemed to be open so joe threw it woodhead who was covered for no gain and tackled in field - in that situation he should just be throwing that ball away rather than running time off the clock like that

redrum52

Hall of Famer

View attachment 335

...but guys aren't getting open?

there was a play in the 2 minute offence that pissed me off mightily - we were trying to go down the field and no one seemed to be open so joe threw it woodhead who was covered for no gain and tackled in field - in that situation he should just be throwing that ball away rather than running time off the clock like that

Lack of awareness, who would've guessed. I remember this exact play cause I was pissed. Had a clean pocket and plenty of time. Was then reminded when my friend texted me, and I quote

"I fkn love watching flacco drop back..have 5 seconds. to throw and dump it off to the rb
Lombardi would be proud
That throwing down the field effectively shit is for millennials
And ****s"

Last edited:

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor

Lack of awareness, who would've guessed. I remember this exact play cause I was pissed. Had a clean pocket and plenty of time. Was then reminded when my friend texted me, and I quote

"I fkn love watching flacco drop back..have 5 seconds. to throw and dump it off to the rb
Lombardi would be proud
That throwing down the effectively shit is for millennials
And ****s"
It makes you wonder how this man became a 120M QB that was the highest paid in the league for some time.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
but joe is also missing wide open receivers when reading the field...this image has been doing the rounds all week:
View attachment 335

Once again, Joe starring down a receiver and NOT EVEN LOOKING for an open man! Now that is just damn pathetic right there! SMH!

Lack of awareness, who would've guessed. I remember this exact play cause I was pissed. Had a clean pocket and plenty of time.

That..."receivers aren't getting open" excuse for Flacco is indefensible! A photo is worth a thousand words.

It makes you wonder how this man became a 120M QB that was the highest paid in the league for some time.

EXACTLY!!

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Once again, Joe starring down a receiver and NOT EVEN LOOKING for an open man! Now that is just damn pathetic right there! SMH!

That..."receivers aren't getting open" excuse for Flacco is indefensible! A photo is worth a thousand words.

EXACTLY!!

That pic is pretty damning, but much better to have a video of the clip. This offense sucks. I wish I had a hot key for that phrase.