• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Perriman and WR Hype

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
There were a lot of people on Ravens Message boards calling Perriman a bust as recently as the end of the season. Now I know OTAs am minicamp aren't real games, but it certainly looks as though he is going to be a very good receiver for us.

There were a select few that always believed he would break out but knew it would take time, especially when you don't have a training camp.
*cough* Truth. *cough*. Truth

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
*cough* Truth. *cough*. Truth
I was definitely one of the select few that didn't lose out hope as was Truth. I don't remeber who they were, I can only speak for myself, but had many conversations with @Truth while he was injured during his rookie year.

I was excited we drafted him, but my first choice was Peters.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I was definitely one of the select few that didn't lose out hope as was Truth. I don't remeber who they were, I can only speak for myself, but had many conversations with @Truth while he was injured during his rookie year.

I was so hyped on peters and ramsey. So crazy we were so close to getting both

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Perriman for sure has big play potential. He seems like an inconsistent version of julio jones. If he hands improve, boy ole boy.. i think we finally got us one

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
anyone else remember the WRs of past that were training camp stars
they had hype that was never backed by their talent.

when reporters hyped jeremy butler and kamar aiken and tandon doss, we knew they had potential to be solid possession guys but were limited.
when they hyped marlon brown, we knew he was a long and tall big bodied guy and we hoped he developed enough to use his tools.

when they hype perriman, we have seen his talent level, he has as much natural talent as nearly any wr in the league, and if he can harness 3/4 of that talent and put it on the field, then he will be the best wr the ravens have ever had. and reporters arent just hyping him here, we are seeing him beat jimmy smith who is an elite corner and anyone who has seen him play will attest to this. he is making spectacular catches, he is making routine catch-and-run plays by getting open with precise routes, he is showing his immense talent on film, as he did last year when he finally began to get healthy.

totally different story, none of those guys could hold perrimans jock.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
they had hype that was never backed by their talent.

when reporters hyped jeremy butler and kamar aiken and tandon doss, we knew they had potential to be solid possession guys but were limited.
when they hyped marlon brown, we knew he was a long and tall big bodied guy and we hoped he developed enough to use his tools.

when they hype perriman, we have seen his talent level, he has as much natural talent as nearly any wr in the league, and if he can harness 3/4 of that talent and put it on the field, then he will be the best wr the ravens have ever had. and reporters arent just hyping him here, we are seeing him beat jimmy smith who is an elite corner and anyone who has seen him play will attest to this. he is making spectacular catches, he is making routine catch-and-run plays by getting open with precise routes, he is showing his immense talent on film, as he did last year when he finally began to get healthy.

totally different story, none of those guys could hold perrimans jock.
I still think Butler deserved a roster spot last year

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I still think Butler deserved a roster spot last year
i agree in a way, i just dont think he shouldve taken any other wrs spot. chris moore probably would be the only guy you could make an argument for, but he made massive plays on special teams pretty frequently so that wouldve hurt us. butler is basically kamar aiken, i see no differences between them except aiken has a more bullyish style. so while our talent at wr says he could have made it, i think hindsight says otherwise, because moore is probably the one he would have leapfrogged and he was actually a difference maker from ST contributions alone.

i wouldve been ok with him taking forsetts roster spot and forsett being cut in the preseason. i was 100% certain that forsett was going nowhere with this team and i was calling that the entire offseason. aside from that i dont really see where he wouldve squeezed in

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
i agree in a way, i just dont think he shouldve taken any other wrs spot. chris moore probably would be the only guy you could make an argument for, but he made massive plays on special teams pretty frequently so that wouldve hurt us. butler is basically kamar aiken, i see no differences between them except aiken has a more bullyish style. so while our talent at wr says he could have made it, i think hindsight says otherwise, because moore is probably the one he would have leapfrogged and he was actually a difference maker from ST contributions alone.

i wouldve been ok with him taking forsetts roster spot and forsett being cut in the preseason. i was 100% certain that forsett was going nowhere with this team and i was calling that the entire offseason. aside from that i dont really see where he wouldve squeezed in
Yeah, in the end, he probably wouldn't have had too many targets even if he made a roster instead of Moore/Aiken/Forsett but he showed plenty more in camp and preseason than other guys - that's the only reason I would have picked him. He did what Harbaugh preaches - competed and won but somehow it wasn't enough.

usmccharles

Practice Squad

I never lost hope with him and seem to be one of the few that would defend him, it was early to judge him as a bust or not but a lot of people wanted to do so. People seem to forget Kevin White has 19 receptions and was taken top ten, clearly we want more out of BP and i was all about him going over 1k yards and getting double digit TDs this year (bold prediction thread) but that was before we brought in Maclin. I just hope we can double his targets from 66....

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I never lost hope with him and seem to be one of the few that would defend him, it was early to judge him as a bust or not but a lot of people wanted to do so. People seem to forget Kevin White has 19 receptions and was taken top ten, clearly we want more out of BP and i was all about him going over 1k yards and getting double digit TDs this year (bold prediction thread) but that was before we brought in Maclin. I just hope we can double his targets from 66....
People tend to look at Ozzie record of drafting wide receivers and not give them a chance. Perriman and Torrey are the only wide receivers we have taken in the first two rounds since Flacco was drafted in 2008. Torrey was pretty good with the Ravens and if Perriman plays anywhere near the way he is playing in OTAs and more mini camp he shouldn't have a problem doubling his 2016 production. I agree it will be harder to get 1000 yards and double digit TDs with Maclin, but I still believe he will get 1k yards this season or pretty darn close.

usmccharles

Practice Squad
People tend to look at Ozzie record of drafting wide receivers and not give them a chance. Perriman and Torrey are the only wide receivers we have taken in the first two rounds since Flacco was drafted in 2008. Torrey was pretty good with the Ravens and if Perriman plays anywhere near the way he is playing in OTAs and more mini camp he shouldn't have a problem doubling his 2016 production. I agree it will be harder to get 1000 yards and double digit TDs with Maclin, but I still believe he will get 1k yards this season or pretty darn close.
Yea it is honestly hard to judge WRs that we have taken considering we havent even taken that many high like you said, most later rounds never pan out and thats more on luck. A lot of people really wanted Keenen Allen, but imagine the uproar if we did draft him considering his injury history now and how some people on here act with BP. However i do think it was a mistake for the FO not to get a young WR early on with Joe to keep continuity through his career.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Yea it is honestly hard to judge WRs that we have taken considering we havent even taken that many high like you said, most later rounds never pan out and thats more on luck. A lot of people really wanted Keenen Allen, but imagine the uproar if we did draft him considering his injury history now and how some people on here act with BP. However i do think it was a mistake for the FO not to get a young WR early on with Joe to keep continuity through his career.
Yes, I do agree they should have drafted a young wide receiver for that continuity, when Mason retired. Who did we pass on in those early rounds?

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Yes, I do agree they should have drafted a young wide receiver for that continuity, when Mason retired. Who did we pass on in those early rounds?
After Mason left (he hasn't retired at that point yet), we could realistically only take handful of good receivers. Perhaps Cobb instead of Torrey in 2011, Keenan in 2013 (with all the injuries, it would still be heaps better than who we got @ 32) and definitely one guy from 2014 class (Cooks, Adams come to mind) if we didn't take CJ or Jernigan.

Good ones always went way too early for where we've been picking.

usmccharles

Practice Squad
3rd- Tavares Gooden- Harry Douglas selected 13 picks later, Manningham went 11 picks after that.
6th- Haruki Nakamura- Garcon was taken one pick in front of us

1st- Michael Oher- Kenny Britt and Hakeem Nicks both went at the end of the first

2nd- Terrence Cody and Sergio Kindle- Golden Tate went 3 picks after Cody
3rd- Ed Dickson- Emanuel Sanders and Brandon LaFell went a around 10 picks later
6th- Ramon Harewood- one pick later.....Antonio Brown.....ouch

I didnt see anything that really stood out. Im gonna stop there since we were talking about early in Joe's career. Obviously there is a couple here and there but i was trying to keep the WRs relatively close to our picks.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
@allblackraven @usmccharles thanks for the quick research.

Hindsight is always 20/20, I can see us taking Keenan Allen but we obviously were scared away and Golden Tate could have saved the 2010 draft class to an extent, but passing on AB in the 6th is what really hurt. However every team passed on him in the previous 5 and he wasn't the player he is today when he was drafted. Cook would have been a great pick, but we wouldn't have CJ. Six in one half a dozen the other. The Emmanuel Sanders instead of Dickson would have been huge in 2010 as well.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
The amount of great players we passed on in 2010 was beyond sickening. terrence cody was never going to be a good player and for some reason ozzie couldnt resist drafting a slow, fat slob.