• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Ravens 2019 Draft Class, grades and analysis

redrum52

Hall of Famer
I'm not saying they can or wont be decent players but elite is a different thing altogether. Michael pierce is elite. You don't get better when you lose an elite player. We struck a FA gem but those are few are very far between. You can get good or decent FA's. but to get someone like pierce is really also a bit of luck.

I've always wanted to keep Pierce. That said, if we're unable to, we most likely turned an UDFA into a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Brown - (A-) - I like this pick allot. Only negative could be size/health.

Ferguson - (A) - Love this pick. With a nickname like “Sack Daddy”, how can you not like it? Lol. Just hope his past off-field issue doesn’t resurface.

Boykin - (B-) - I like this pick, just not sure about trading up to get him. He adds another target for Lamar and has good size.

Hill - (B) - Another solid pick IMO. Another speedster who has home run potential on every run from scrimmage. He should be a good compliment to Ingram and Edwards.

Powers - (C+) - Not a terrible pick but may or may not contribute to one of the teams biggest needs.

Marshall - (C-) - I’m a bit confused by this pick. I think it would have been better spent on the OL. I mean we are loaded at the CB position. Can someone help me here?

Mack - (B) - Solid pick here. He could be a real disruptor in the middle of that line. Should add depth to the D line.

McSorley - (C-) - IDK, Why?

Overall - (B-) - I think Eric did an ok job in his first draft. I would have preferred more attention to the O line, but he did address the skilled positions on O, which has been neglected for years.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
It struck that this is a bit more forward thinking draft compared to how I remember the majority before. I think it strikes a nice balance of depth right now/guys who can play right now and guys who will be big next year, with some overlap. For example: Daylon Mack looks like a rotational piece right now but he is also perfect next year in the event that we either lose Pierce or move on from Williams. Marshall should also contribute this year but hopefully makes it so that we need not HAVE TO draft a CB next year when we move off Jimmy.

Another thing that strikes me is how we really targeted not only specific players but specific types. If we missed out on a player we had a contingency plan B of close to the same type. We wanted Arcega Whitside...we drafted The kid from ND.
We wanted Miles Sanders...we drafted a similar type in Hill. We wanted a Suggs/Smith type rusher and we targeted Ferguson.

I even see the McSorley pick as forward thinking and sort of out of the box.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
e only reached the 3rd qr of the LSU game and I still can't believe Willis went undrafted. He's been absolutely stunning so far.
Doesn't seem as physical as one would imagine, given the size, but man..he's breaking havocs and can move laterally.
lol, I've watched some of his tape and can't believe I didn't draft him in the FM!

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
now I'm not one to believe Sami, but how are you saying you want Michael Pierce to leave, 3rd round comp or not, we need to extend him
I’m not saying I want him to leave, I’m saying that decosta will offer an extension, Pierce will say no because he knows he’ll get more on the market, and that’s how that’s gonna go

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Brown - (A-) - I like this pick allot. Only negative could be size/health.

Ferguson - (A) - Love this pick. With a nickname like “Sack Daddy”, how can you not like it? Lol. Just hope his past off-field issue doesn’t resurface.

Boykin - (B-) - I like this pick, just not sure about trading up to get him. He adds another target for Lamar and has good size.

Hill - (B) - Another solid pick IMO. Another speedster who has home run potential on every run from scrimmage. He should be a good compliment to Ingram and Edwards.

Powers - (C+) - Not a terrible pick but may or may not contribute to one of the teams biggest needs.

Marshall - (C-) - I’m a bit confused by this pick. I think it would have been better spent on the OL. I mean we are loaded at the CB position. Can someone help me here?

Mack - (B) - Solid pick here. He could be a real disruptor in the middle of that line. Should add depth to the D line.

McSorley - (C-) - IDK, Why?

Overall - (B-) - I think Eric did an ok job in his first draft. I would have preferred more attention to the O line, but he did address the skilled positions on O, which has been neglected for years.
I think Marshall is a great pick. He’s a potential future starter and why do you think we are set at CB? We have Humphrey and Tavon. Carr is very average. Smith is on the perennial injury list. Both Smith and carr are gone next year. What do we have after that? A couple unproven guys who we think might be good?

With the sheer amount of CB injuries we have every year, and remembering that just a few years ago our secondary held us back for a long time, why would you possibly not like us drafting a CB with a shit ton of potential? It’s kind of mind boggling to me. We should be drafting AT LEAST one CB every single year.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Marquise Brown A - concerns over the lisfranc mostly a concern. If I were picking I might have gone OLINE but the pick/value/talent is an A but for the injury concern knocking him to A-

Jaylon Ferguson B- I would have moved a 4th and drafted Winovich. A bit of a project that will hopefully pay great dividends. I know they targeted him specifically and that matters a lot to me.

Miles Boykin - C+ I see exactly what he brings and he rounds out the room nicely. I like him but I would have preferred waiting over giving two picks. But that shows how much The ravens wanted him so....what do I know.

Justice Hill - B - Could be a great weapon with the ball in his hands quickly in passing game....running targeted open routes. He's really interesting to me if used that way...clear outs over the top with him targeted underneath. He does most everything pretty well. Goes down on first contact fairly often. Get him on the field early...begin implementing what it is you drafted him to do.

Ben Powers - I haven't watched much on him so I'll come back and edit. My initial and very brief viewing a few months back was just...ok

Iman Marshall - B appears huge. Im not sure he is as smooth in transition as Jeremiah says...but again...what do I know. I love how he finds the ball. I love how he reads the receiver. good pick.

Daylon Mack - A+ Love this kid and he fits the team perfectly. In rotation he'll be amazing. Imagine him around Williams and Pierce and trying to play up to their standard. He's ready. Excited about the value and the player. my favorite pick.

Trace McSorley - B+ I, like everyone else scratched my head here but I applaud the vision even if it fails. I think they will use him to return kicks and if thats all he does and he is good at it, he is worthy of a sixth round pick. very good runner with the ball in his hands. Interesting to put he and Lamar in the backfield and split him out or dire=ct snap it to him. I also think you give him reps at QB in practice in hopes that in a year he could serve as backups and hold the team through 3 or 4 games should Lamar go down. If any of this happens...its worth the selection. If he's converting first downs for us in certain packages and making the offense more difficult to read, it is a great pick.

I think Marshall is a great pick. He’s a potential future starter and why do you think we are set at CB? We have Humphrey and Tavon. Carr is very average. Smith is on the perennial injury list. Both Smith and carr are gone next year. What do we have after that? A couple unproven guys who we think might be good?

With the sheer amount of CB injuries we have every year, and remembering that just a few years ago our secondary held us back for a long time, why would you possibly not like us drafting a CB with a shit ton of potential? It’s kind of mind boggling to me. We should be drafting AT LEAST one CB every single year.

I don’t hate the pick per se, however I don’t think he’ll contribute allot in 2019. We.currently have 8 CB,s on the roster, counting Marshall. We need depth at LG, RG, and C, which is why I questioned the pick. If it was a best player available situation then it makes some sense.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don’t hate the pick per se, however I don’t think he’ll contribute allot in 2019. We.currently have 8 CB,s on the roster, counting Marshall. We need depth at LG, RG, and C, which is why I questioned the pick. If it was a best player available situation then it makes some sense.

I'm hoping that's why they did it and they just drafted a guard. Jimmy and Carr probally wont be here next year plus to protect from any injuries which if 1 or 2 go down.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So I finally feel like I can grade this class having done some watching of the players I haven't seen much of yet:

Marquise Brown (A+): Absolutely incredible pick - probably the biggest offensive playmaker in the entire class, lisfranc has apparently checked out fine so not worried - maybe the first time the ravens picked the guy i really wanted when we got on the clock with our first pick in the draft albeit it's also one of the few times the guy i really wanted was still on the board when we were picking

Jaylon Ferguson (A-): Another one of my pound the table guys and I think the value's incredible at the 85th pick. He's an explosive pass rusher with really great speed-to-power and pure bull rushes - limited arsenal but has shown some variety in his pass rushing although not consistently - ive seen some violent hands and underhand rips etc. and some more traditional edge bending - shows an ability to think through his pass rush plan and string plays together to set the tackle up - inconsistent at best against the run but not awful when he maintains concentration in that area - high motor overall and really good finisher

Miles Boykin (C+): Not the receiver I would have wanted but a nice stylistic complement to the rest of the receiver room as it currently stands. The length and ability to play everywhere across the field is promising, and he really shows an ability to get off press well for a bigger receiver and the 3 cone time was impressive too. Some nice elements to his route running but needs to get sharper cutting and not rounding his routes off although he does have this really nice ability to change direction while maintaining momentum which will really test corners backpedal and hip-flipping - lots to like about this pick but not who i would have thought we'd go for in round 3

Justice Hill (B+): Lightning in Baltimore. A scat back with limited experience in the receiving game is going to limit his opportunities early with Ingram in the building but the speed and quickness to get down field is salivating and is definitely another playmaker on offence for us. May need to manufacture some touches earlier in his career as he learns how to become our full-time 3rd down back. He's shown a willingness to get stuck in in pass pro which bodes well.

Ben Powers (C): Fine. Solid guard prospect. Well coached and technically sound prospect but some lack of flexibility means he's not great at using his anchor and power in the running game to drive defenders off the ball. Ironically has to be more of a technician in the running game. Will have the chance to earn a starting spot (EDC was very clear that he'll be in the competition for LG) but there were other interior prospects I liked a lot better at this spot but Powers is not a disaster at all.

Iman Marshall (A): BPA. A player who had no right falling this far in the draft and was an incredible value here and a really nice system fit with how much press we like to play historically. We've got a lot of depth at the position but with some older corners and also players who might not be long for the team moving into the future this is a pre-emptive help just like with Averett last year we found value in corners who had no business being available in the 4th round.

Daylon Mack (A): Nice pickup. We like to pick a corner and a lineman on each side of the ball every year. Mack is a nice fit at NT for sure - it remains to be seen what his potential at 3tech or anywhere else along the line. Nevertheless a really talented player slides to us and one who could develop some pass rush in the NFL with the athleticism he possesses.

Trace Mcsorley (C-): He's been picked to potentially make a roster spot as a special teamer who can simultaneously act as QB3 for us and maybe develop into Lamar's backup eventually. Has athletic gifts that the idea of running trick plays/gadget plays with him is something to think about, as is using that athleticism on special teams in various guises (but also because it gives us a more viable tool in any fakes we want to implement).

UDFAs (still unofficial) (A): Gerald Willis is a guy who I really like as a prospect and especially as a potential pass-rusher - he's great at splitting double teams and easy athleticism and burst gets him to be a threat from the interior in the passing game... Antoine Wesley is a raw but really exciting receiver with some route running nouse - his lanky frame might be what dropped him down but he's got nice hands and has shown an ability to separate with some really nice short-area quickness and agility...

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I’m not saying I want him to leave, I’m saying that decosta will offer an extension, Pierce will say no because he knows he’ll get more on the market, and that’s how that’s gonna go
Understand and that could very well happen, unless they are ok giving B.Will money to Pierce, since Williams is most likely gone next season

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
If we managed to somehow get Hurd as well, I'd give the draft / UDFA clean A cause we'd have

Jalen Hurd
Jaylon Ferguson
Jaylen Smith

on the roster now.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
It struck that this is a bit more forward thinking draft compared to how I remember the majority before. I think it strikes a nice balance of depth right now/guys who can play right now and guys who will be big next year, with some overlap. For example: Daylon Mack looks like a rotational piece right now but he is also perfect next year in the event that we either lose Pierce or move on from Williams. Marshall should also contribute this year but hopefully makes it so that we need not HAVE TO draft a CB next year when we move off Jimmy.

Another thing that strikes me is how we really targeted not only specific players but specific types. If we missed out on a player we had a contingency plan B of close to the same type. We wanted Arcega Whitside...we drafted The kid from ND.
We wanted Miles Sanders...we drafted a similar type in Hill. We wanted a Suggs/Smith type rusher and we targeted Ferguson.

I even see the McSorley pick as forward thinking and sort of out of the box.
Seems to me Eric had a very specific plan... we had a first round grade on ONE receiver, so in a very weak receiver class we take who see as the best of the bunch and a legit first round talent to fill the weakest spot on the roster. Then we attack the whole roster by going after the strengths of the class for the entire remainder of the draft. Secondary DT and edge. We drafted a CB and a DT who both should’ve went 2 rounds higher so not only was it clear BPA but talented guys at positions that you always need to keep stocked, like we went in knowing we wanted one gaping hole filled and we did it in a big way and with the rest of our picks we went after the strength of the class.

And that is my absolute favorite draft approach. You have some needs, evaluate that shit and try to knock those needs out in the first, don’t reach, but take the absolute best player you can find that fills whatever hole, then load up on talent at any spot.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
when you compare other teams classes to ours it really gives you an appreciation for our FO. At least we have a plan and stick to it, we get giys who we think would fit our scheme, system, and play like ravens.

Its hard to judge this class yet and give it a fair grade because we didnt have a 2nd round pick and that could have drastically changed the grade of this class but i can say that we came out as winners of the draft. We got what we needed and got good value out of each pick.

The Patriots and Colts also did a nice job as did the Dolphins (for landing Rosen). But we all know the Bear won this draft with Riley Reid. She can bust your top off at any time.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
when you compare other teams classes to ours it really gives you an appreciation for our FO. At least we have a plan and stick to it, we get giys who we think would fit our scheme, system, and play like ravens.

Its hard to judge this class yet and give it a fair grade because we didnt have a 2nd round pick and that could have drastically changed the grade of this class but i can say that we came out as winners of the draft. We got what we needed and got good value out of each pick.

The Patriots and Colts also did a nice job as did the Dolphins (for landing Rosen). But we all know the Bear won this draft with Riley Reid. She can bust your top off at any time.
Alrighty, wtf am I missing with this story?

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
He was definitely arguably best player available there. We could’ve traded back and maybe pick up an interior lineman, but at that spot I think we made the right choice. Time will tell