• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Ravens 2019 Draft Class, grades and analysis

He was definitely arguably best player available there. We could’ve traded back and maybe pick up an interior lineman, but at that spot I think we made the right choice. Time will tell

Yeah we’ll see how things play out. Grading these drafts now is an exercise in fun only. When we look back 3 years from now I’m sure things will not be exactly what we expected. Lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah we’ll see how things play out. Grading these drafts now is an exercise in fun only. When we look back 3 years from now I’m sure things will not be exactly what we expected. Lol

Exactly - I thought the eagles nailed some of their recent drafts but through injuries or a couple of player not quite panning out they’ve not been as successful as they could have been with those former rookies

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
I keep looking at other teams draft picks and its hard for me to find teams that got 3 or more guys who will make an impact in year one. We probably got 4 or 5 so i think we did well

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
My one take away from this draft is the guys seem to be different than our classic picks and by that I mean you had some Seattle type of picks that make you scratch your heard initially and later realize they’re fits. I don’t care if we traded 2 6th round picks to get Boykin, either, btw. I couldn’t care less about that. What else would we have done with those picks?

Marquise Brown: makes sense, great player, injuries are my major concern. I’m not expecting him to do much this year due to his foot.
Jaylon Ferguson: screams Raven, pro day stars are a concern.
Miles Boykin: didn’t watch much before we took him, nice potential, makes sense, liked the aggressiveness to trade up and get him.
Justice Hill: fast, perfect complement to our RB & Lamar.
Ben Powers: potential, trust in Roman; let’s see.
Iman Marshall: big & good CB for future, should replace Jimmy (tear).
Daylon Mack: potential, should help rid us of Williams or Pierce (hopefully not).
McSorely: No idea here.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think everyone is sore we didn’t overload on OL. I wanted Gaillard but I think all we needed was one guy. I don’t know much about Powers except a very limited amount but I’ll be patient and see what happens. I think next year will be the focus on OL because Stanley will be in his final year, Yanda will be near the end, we’ll know what we have in Senat, Skura, Hurst, Powers, & Bozeman and can see where we need to invest in our OL. Good news is we can also clear cap to sign other guys too due to our investments this year. I like the long term outlook made this year.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
when you compare other teams classes to ours it really gives you an appreciation for our FO. At least we have a plan and stick to it, we get giys who we think would fit our scheme, system, and play like ravens.

Its hard to judge this class yet and give it a fair grade because we didnt have a 2nd round pick and that could have drastically changed the grade of this class but i can say that we came out as winners of the draft. We got what we needed and got good value out of each pick.

The Patriots and Colts also did a nice job as did the Dolphins (for landing Rosen). But we all know the Bear won this draft with Riley Reid. She can bust your top off at any time.
people are counting the 2nd round pick of the MIami Dolphins (Josh Rosen) as part of their draft, well our 2nd round pick was (Lamar Jackson), so essentially we did have a pick, we just used it last year.

Last edited:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think Marshall is a great pick. He’s a potential future starter and why do you think we are set at CB? We have Humphrey and Tavon. Carr is very average. Smith is on the perennial injury list. Both Smith and carr are gone next year. What do we have after that? A couple unproven guys who we think might be good?

With the sheer amount of CB injuries we have every year, and remembering that just a few years ago our secondary held us back for a long time, why would you possibly not like us drafting a CB with a shit ton of potential? It’s kind of mind boggling to me. We should be drafting AT LEAST one CB every single year.
I agree that there is a very good possibility that Carr and Jimmy are gone this year, but Carr was far from average. He had a very good year last year. I like the Marshall pick because I feel it is a very good pick for both now and next year. I agree with every part of your point accept for Carr being average.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
I agree that there is a very good possibility that Carr and Jimmy are gone this year, but Carr was far from average. He had a very good year last year. I like the Marshall pick because I feel it is a very good pick for both now and next year. I agree with every part of your point accept for Carr being average.
Agree to disagree. Carr is a good, average CB. Jimmy is a very good CB. Patrick Peterson is a very good CB. Xavier Howard is a very good CB.

Carr had a good season last year but please let’s not start acting like he’s a star CB. I don’t think anyone here would want him covering the opponents top WRs.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
the last time brandon carr was a very good corner was in his KC days
and even then he wasn't close to elite.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor

His actual performance numbers from this season disagree. You cant put that performance on the pass rush because it sucked, cant put it on Safeties covering him because Weddle was on his last legs, so Carr's improvement was all Carr. He has his weaknesses but as long as you scheme away from them he is a good corner and solid starter that most teams would like to have right now.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Hmm....just based on addressing needs, I think we did a pretty good job with that. Me personally? I would've liked another G/C, but whatever. Even the McSorely pick was a "eh" type of pick to me. I expect nothing from him anyways.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Carr is susceptible to the best of top flight receivers making big plays down the field on occasion, other than that he’s been well above average for his career, and last year he was nothing short of excellent and did that with a safety tandem that couldn’t cover a bed with a blanket, and a pass rush that was so bad that the DC literally depended on him and the other CBs to cover so they could throw the kitchen sink at them.

I would not depend on Carr next year and I’m glad we are doing the smart thing and continuing to add corners, you should draft one every year and no later than round 5, but let’s not act like Carr didn’t have a very good season.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think everyone is sore we didn’t overload on OL. I wanted Gaillard but I think all we needed was one guy. I don’t know much about Powers except a very limited amount but I’ll be patient and see what happens. I think next year will be the focus on OL because Stanley will be in his final year, Yanda will be near the end, we’ll know what we have in Senat, Skura, Hurst, Powers, & Bozeman and can see where we need to invest in our OL. Good news is we can also clear cap to sign other guys too due to our investments this year. I like the long term outlook made this year.
I wonder if roman basically vouched that the OL would hold up for another year because he still planned on calling heavy read option and he didn’t want to go with a traditional offense yet, so he was gonna keep with the gimmicky shit

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I wonder if roman basically vouched that the OL would hold up for another year because he still planned on calling heavy read option and he didn’t want to go with a traditional offense yet, so he was gonna keep with the gimmicky shit
Roman isn't an idiot. I think he trusts Bozeman and Powers. Which is fine. If Hurst and Skura were average to begin with we would've had a top 5 oline with how good the other three have shown they can be.

I'm less worried now that I know for certain that we are going to be doing 2 TE sets most of the time. Boyle is a really good blocker, so is good Hurst, and Andrews is really improving.

We're going to pound the rock down your throat with some power football, and Lamar will kill teams in the short area passing game with Andrews, Hurst, Snead, and Brown(who can turn a 5 yard slant into a 60 yard TD). Defenses are going to have to play zone against us too, and that personnel group is built to destroy that.

If Lamar develops this team is a playoff team. If he has his lumps, and while I do like him I think he will, we will miss the playoffs. Which doesn't bother me.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Roman isn't an idiot. I think he trusts Bozeman and Powers. Which is fine. If Hurst and Skura were average to begin with we would've had a top 5 oline with how good the other three have shown they can be.

I'm less worried now that I know for certain that we are going to be doing 2 TE sets most of the time. Boyle is a really good blocker, so is good Hurst, and Andrews is really improving.

We're going to pound the rock down your throat with some power football, and Lamar will kill teams in the short area passing game with Andrews, Hurst, Snead, and Brown(who can turn a 5 yard slant into a 60 yard TD). Defenses are going to have to play zone against us too, and that personnel group is built to destroy that.

If Lamar develops this team is a playoff team. If he has his lumps, and while I do like him I think he will, we will miss the playoffs. Which doesn't bother me.
This is exactly how I would put it

flynismo

Practice Squad
I love, love LOVE the Jaylon pick, even more so considering the other DL are going to be the ones pulling most of the attention away from him. Outside of Hollywood, was the best pick of our draft.

Not even remotely a fan of the Boykins pick; not just because of value and what we gave up, but because his athletic ass just isn't going to be anything more than a bench player.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
I love, love LOVE the Jaylon pick, even more so considering the other DL are going to be the ones pulling most of the attention away from him. Outside of Hollywood, was the best pick of our draft.

Not even remotely a fan of the Boykins pick; not just because of value and what we gave up, but because his athletic ass just isn't going to be anything more than a bench player.

Boykins should be more than a bench player this season just because we don't have many other options. He'll definitely get a chance to prove himself and carve out a role in the offense. I think we could have gone with other options in the draft, but I think Boykins does have some potential.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor

No way is Boykins just going to be on the bench. He's gonna be the number 3 wr over Moore. Unlike other big guys we've taken at wr he a actually understands how to play the position.