1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome Guest, thanks for stopping by. Be sure to sign up if you haven't already done so!
    Dismiss Notice

Pass rush

Discussion in 'Ravens Talk' started by Edgar, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Edgar

Edgar MVP

It's time for a new thread.

I'm really liking the idea of having both McPhee and Ferguson as ends with Pierce (mack?) at 0/1. The two are really adept from either side and McPhee is great inside and out. Hopefully this might apply to Ferguson as well.

Those three with Tim/Judon/Ray off the edge

• Like Like x 2
  2. JoeyFlex5

JoeyFlex5 Hall of Famer

I like Mack at the 1 in situations like this, because his first step is dangerous

3. Willbacker

Willbacker Pro Bowler

Ray is gonna be interesting to watch. All I know is he was a high draft pick so hopefully our defensive philosophies brings out the best from him. Something tells me Willie Henry is also gonna be a force from the 3 tech. Willis could also surprize here.

4. Edgar

Edgar MVP

Don't know why I always forget Willie Henry

5. RaineV1

RaineV1 Pro Bowler

Because he's been injured a lot.

6. rossihunter2

rossihunter2 Staff Member Moderator

Because he’s basically only played one season for us lol

7. Edgar

Edgar MVP

Yup. I reckon you're both right!

8. Edgar

Edgar MVP

I'm not giving up on Bowser just yet. Even if he is only decent as a pass rush guy, he offers so much in man coverage

9. gtalk12

gtalk12 Veteran

I have very HIGH expectations for Willis.

10. JoeyFlex5

JoeyFlex5 Hall of Famer

He may be a better pass rusher than we give him credit for. Watch the regular season game vs the chargers and keep an eye on him

11. Willbacker

Willbacker Pro Bowler

I heard he was a day 2 candidate and how he fell to being undrafted is a headscratcher. Maybe medicals or bad interviews. Is preseason or even just training camp here yet lol.

12. JoeyFlex5

JoeyFlex5 Hall of Famer

He was a pretty unanimous third rounder, but he did get in a fight and got put off the team a while back before transferring to Miami so he did have character red flags

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Edgar

Edgar MVP

Let me know what you're seeing. He still looks unnatural as all get out stringing anything together.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. JoeyFlex5

JoeyFlex5 Hall of Famer

I haven’t watched that much of Gerald Willis, I was just going off of what I was seeing on projections, lots of third round projections for him.

15. Edgar

Edgar MVP

Im just speculating bit I'm guessing it was something we haven't heard about. Mike Zimmer passed on him three times in the sixth round. Something about that is very odd.

16. Edgar

Edgar MVP

sorry...I meant Bowser vs. Chargers

17. JoeyFlex5

JoeyFlex5 Hall of Famer

Oh damn I didn’t read the quote I forgot I posted that lol.

At one point later in the game he was inches from being a game wrecker. I posted something a while back with some notes(but no exact time stamps unfortunately) he was wrecking the blocker in front of him seemingly every snap and getting within inches of rivers, he caused Brent Urbans sack by putting the tackle right in rivers lap and causing him to panic(and would’ve gotten the sack over urban had he not gotten held terribly) and was just stringing snaps together.

I’ll try to find the post

18. JoeyFlex5

JoeyFlex5 Hall of Famer

@Edgar

But I’ll agree he looks unnatural on pass rush moves, his timing is way off, and that may have been the difference on all of these plays between a near-sack and an easy sack. He needs to time his swipes and punches a lot better.

19. redrum52

redrum52 MVP

Pretty sure character concerns were his problem. Besides that, I think everyone thought he was talented. I was shocked we took him considering the choir boy approach we seemed to have towards drafting after Rice. Don't quote me on this, but think he beat up Marty's kid in college over sneakers... or something along those lines. Happy to have him here and hope he makes the most if it.

On topic. Need to start using guys to their strength instead of shelving them. I feel like we've held Bowser and Williams back by trying to turn them into pieces they're not. Finally seems Harbaugh is starting to realize this, though, it seems more forced in certain spots due to players leaving.

Even with those guys gone, we struggled generating a continuous pass rush. I really don't think we get much worse considering the secondary play as well. Henry being back should be a big help on the interior with McPhee. Timmy should be an improvement on the edge over Smith and I dont care what people think.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  20. RavensMania

RavensMania Staff Member Administrator

could be the reason we signed him. In all truth though, we wouldn't have drafted Timmy Williams if we had such a choir boy mentality.

• Funny Funny x 2