• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Pass rush

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
operating out of a 3-3 front gives us the best opportunity to get the most pass rushers on the field at one time; consequently, a diverse and deceptive group. I know I've said it already but I can't shake the notion. We use a 2-4 so frequently ...I cant's how a three man front with this years personnel ( the right group) wouldn't be preferable on both fronts

Really its more about personel than formation since we have players that can put their hands in the dirt or line up off the ball. We really need a good rotation and players doing assignments that are more towards their strength. Tim Williams rushing the passer and Bowser more in coverage

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Really its more about personel than formation since we have players that can put their hands in the dirt or line up off the ball. We really need a good rotation and players doing assignments that are more towards their strength. Tim Williams rushing the passer and Bowser more in coverage

exactly - the name of it doesnt really matter given that we often effectively get that 3rd lineman on the field by having an OLB at the line near the nose

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Its definitely about personnel which is why a 3 man front, given the personnel currently on the roster(to me) makes the most sense. a 3 man 2nd level as such...comprised of our best linebacker types (at rushing the qb particularly), gives the best opportunity both to cover (and disguise coverage) and to rush (along with disguise) @rossihunter2

I'm not referring to something static or non - situational. I am convinced that given the players we have this season, a 2-4 nickel makes less sense. It puts too much strain on the outside guys to get home (to my mind) and it makes us rely on a fifth rusher to create confusion and get home.

for example:
Ferguson (5 or4i).....McPhee (1).......Judon...(5)

Bowser................................Onuasor.....................................T.Williams

Reactions: cdp

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Its definitely about personnel which is why a 3 man front, given the personnel currently on the roster(to me) makes the most sense. a 3 man 2nd level as such...comprised of our best linebacker types (at rushing the qb particularly), gives the best opportunity both to cover (and disguise coverage) and to rush (along with disguise) @rossihunter2

I'm not referring to something static or non - situational. I am convinced that given the players we have this season, a 2-4 nickel makes less sense. It puts too much strain on the outside guys to get home (to my mind) and it makes us rely on a fifth rusher to create confusion and get home.

for example:
Ferguson (5 or4i).....McPhee (1).......Judon...(5)

Bowser................................Onuasor.....................................T.Williams

No problem with that grouping at all - and in fancy it’s not dissimilar to what we did a few times last year with the all-LB no DL package

Filmstudy

Staff Member
Filmstudy
Writer
I'm grading the 2006 OL play this offseason and it's striking how long McNair has to throw. Time to release has dropped significantly over the last 12 seasons.

I bring this up, because 3rd down has become a down where you need fast pressure to disrupt high percentage 3rd-and-medium throws. IMO, that means getting more coverage flexibility on the field (read as dime and quarter), because coverage flexibility translates directly to pass rush flexibility and it's more effective to try to get a free runner on the QB in such situations than bring in an extra situational pass rusher who can win 1-on-1.

The Ravens gain a lot of flexibility when they bring in Levine because he has the quickness to both generate a free run and cover effectively, be that short middle zone, taking the slot receiver while the SCB blitzes, or covering a TE (2 PDs vs Njoku on the stand) and his weakness against the run is minimized on obvious passing downs. Jefferson having the green dot would maximize flexibility, because Martindale could further substitute Clark or Elliott to replace Onwuasor on passing downs, which would provide the most choices for pass rush scheme.

Marvin Lewis ran a lot of the quarter, primarily in 1996 (116 snaps) and 2000 (62 snaps, incl post season). Martindale had a mini-revival of the quarter with 8 such snaps in 2018. With Mosley gone, it could make sense to make that a regular passing-down look.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm grading the 2006 OL play this offseason and it's striking how long McNair has to throw. Time to release has dropped significantly over the last 12 seasons.

I bring this up, because 3rd down has become a down where you need fast pressure to disrupt high percentage 3rd-and-medium throws. IMO, that means getting more coverage flexibility on the field (read as dime and quarter), because coverage flexibility translates directly to pass rush flexibility and it's more effective to try to get a free runner on the QB in such situations than bring in an extra situational pass rusher who can win 1-on-1.

The Ravens gain a lot of flexibility when they bring in Levine because he has the quickness to both generate a free run and cover effectively, be that short middle zone, taking the slot receiver while the SCB blitzes, or covering a TE (2 PDs vs Njoku on the stand) and his weakness against the run is minimized on obvious passing downs. Jefferson having the green dot would maximize flexibility, because Martindale could further substitute Clark or Elliott to replace Onwuasor on passing downs, which would provide the most choices for pass rush scheme.

Marvin Lewis ran a lot of the quarter, primarily in 1996 (116 snaps) and 2000 (62 snaps, incl post season). Martindale had a mini-revival of the quarter with 8 such snaps in 2018. With Mosley gone, it could make sense to make that a regular passing-down look.

Oh I didn’t realise we played any quarter at all last year - obviously as you say there’s only 8 snaps but do you know if there was any trend/commonality on those snaps?

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Martindale could further substitute Clark or Elliott to replace Onwuasor on passing downs, which would provide the most choices for pass rush scheme.
Not sure I agree with that part. I think Peanut made most of his damage because of his blitzing ability especially on passing downs. Sure having an unblocked guy is always the best option but it's not as if you can draw up a scheme and say for certain he won't be accounted for. It's the absolute final goal but if I were to ask a back seven player to rush I'd make sure he's also able to shrug off a RB in pass pro, which Peanut has proven to be excellent at. And as far as coverage, obviously the safeties are better equipped in that area but I totally trust Peanut's instinct and athleticism to cover a short zone like LB are asked to.

Filmstudy

Staff Member
Filmstudy
Writer
Oh I didn’t realise we played any quarter at all last year - obviously as you say there’s only 8 snaps but do you know if there was any trend/commonality on those snaps?

It was the last 3 plays of the 1st half vs Den, the last 4 plays of the game vs Pit, and 1 snap vs Car. 8 plays, 2 sacks, 0 net yards.

I hope Peanut can take a step forward as a coverage player, but given the strength of the Ravens secondary, he will be a frequent target, just as Mosley was. We know how Ravens fans found fault with Mosley's coverage ability and that will be magnified in 2019 by the difference in the relative coverage skill of Mosley and Onwuasor. That's the central issue with giving Peanut the green dot.

Filmstudy

Staff Member
Filmstudy
Writer
Not sure I agree with that part. I think Peanut made most of his damage because of his blitzing ability especially on passing downs. Sure having an unblocked guy is always the best option but it's not as if you can draw up a scheme and say for certain he won't be accounted for. It's the absolute final goal but if I were to ask a back seven player to rush I'd make sure he's also able to shrug off a RB in pass pro, which Peanut has proven to be excellent at. And as far as coverage, obviously the safeties are better equipped in that area but I totally trust Peanut's instinct and athleticism to cover a short zone like LB are asked to.

I don't agree that the ability to beat a RB is as important as scheming for free runs, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. If you're of a mind to investigate the claim, I'd suggest 2 methods.

1. Look at pressure rates as a percentage of pass rushes for safeties and SCBs on PFF. They are significantly higher than ILB pressure rates.
2. Look at Onwuasor or another good pass rushing LB and see how many times in a whole season he beats a RB for a pressure when that RB is assigned as a set (not a chip) blocker and has responsibility for Peanut.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It was the last 3 plays of the 1st half vs Den, the last 4 plays of the game vs Pit, and 1 snap vs Car. 8 plays, 2 sacks, 0 net yards.

I hope Peanut can take a step forward as a coverage player, but given the strength of the Ravens secondary, he will be a frequent target, just as Mosley was. We know how Ravens fans found fault with Mosley's coverage ability and that will be magnified in 2019 by the difference in the relative coverage skill of Mosley and Onwuasor. That's the central issue with giving Peanut the green dot.

Yeah I partly wondered if some of the snaps were after CJ went down in the bengals game but evidently not

I think peanut will surprise - he hasn’t got the length that Mosley had when dropping into that deeper zone and that’s naturally an issue and peanut later in the year took advantage a lot of how CJ and Weddle would put him in position to succeed in making a play but I’m generally optimistic given how dynamic he was down the stretch last year - maybe we see quarters more often but I’d be surprised to peanut frequently leaving the field this year

Filmstudy

Staff Member
Filmstudy
Writer
Yeah I partly wondered if some of the snaps were after CJ went down in the bengals game but evidently not

I think peanut will surprise - he hasn’t got the length that Mosley had when dropping into that deeper zone and that’s naturally an issue and peanut later in the year took advantage a lot of how CJ and Weddle would put him in position to succeed in making a play but I’m generally optimistic given how dynamic he was down the stretch last year - maybe we see quarters more often but I’d be surprised to peanut frequently leaving the field this year

Anything Harbaugh says at this time of year could be coach speak, but he has already said Peanut will play every snap, which to me means the decision has been made that he'll have the green dot.

So I think you're right about Onwuasor not leaving the field, but it means a big loss in flexibility for the defense.

purp

Practice Squad
I’m very interested in what I’m seeing from the SAM position. We seem to be committed to playing that almost like an OLB in a 4-3. If Bowser continues to show up in coverage and Judon keeps doing what we know he can do, I think we’re going to see a lot of pass rushing from our ILBs and safeties.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I’m very interested in what I’m seeing from the SAM position. We seem to be committed to playing that almost like an OLB in a 4-3. If Bowser continues to show up in coverage and Judon keeps doing what we know he can do, I think we’re going to see a lot of pass rushing from our ILBs and safeties.
Speaking of safeties, we also have 2 corners who have shown to be effective at getting to the qb. Tavon young has been such a key piece for us because he’s not just a great cover nickel but he does all the other nickel jobs well, somehow that tiny bastard has been a nightmare in the pocket when he’s called to blitz. And then marlon Humphrey has college film where they lined him up like an OLB and blitzed him occasionally and the guy fires off the edge like the punt block team but moves like an edge rusher, I’ve actually seen him throw a jab and counter inside with a spin move to flush the qb on his college film. He might be too valuable in coverage, but I wouldn’t mind seeing that wrinkle thrown in

purp

Practice Squad
Speaking of safeties, we also have 2 corners who have shown to be effective at getting to the qb. Tavon young has been such a key piece for us because he’s not just a great cover nickel but he does all the other nickel jobs well, somehow that tiny [profanity deleted] has been a nightmare in the pocket when he’s called to blitz. And then marlon Humphrey has college film where they lined him up like an OLB and blitzed him occasionally and the guy fires off the edge like the punt block team but moves like an edge rusher, I’ve actually seen him throw a jab and counter inside with a spin move to flush the qb on his college film. He might be too valuable in coverage, but I wouldn’t mind seeing that wrinkle thrown in

I like the thoughts based on ability but I would worry about the rotation sending Humphrey. The SAM rotating into coverage can take a TE or an RB but I wouldn’t want them ending up mismatched with a slot WR. Obviously they would audible if a motion shifted a slot WR into the coverage but I don’t see a scenario where I’d want, say, Earl Thomas or Tavon rotating into Humphrey’s natural assignment because he’s blitzing.

However, if you put Brandon Carr at safety or Nickel I could see the Humphrey scenario paying dividends.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I like the thoughts based on ability but I would worry about the rotation sending Humphrey. The SAM rotating into coverage can take a TE or an RB but I wouldn’t want them ending up mismatched with a slot WR. Obviously they would audible if a motion shifted a slot WR into the coverage but I don’t see a scenario where I’d want, say, Earl Thomas or Tavon rotating into Humphrey’s natural assignment because he’s blitzing.

However, if you put Brandon Carr at safety or Nickel I could see the Humphrey scenario paying dividends.
My thoughts are this: Humphrey and young are extremely capable coverage guys and young is even capable on the boundary, disguise the db blitz, you can blitz Jefferson from the strong side while Humphrey is on the weak side, disguise Jefferson to man up on the TE but after a jam he passes off to the ILB, while Humphrey/young both show press coverage and one blitzes while the other drops, make that a zone drop with an OLB drop to clutter the lanes while you have a speedy db blitz.

purp

Practice Squad
My thoughts are this: Humphrey and young are extremely capable coverage guys and young is even capable on the boundary, disguise the db blitz, you can blitz Jefferson from the strong side while Humphrey is on the weak side, disguise Jefferson to man up on the TE but after a jam he passes off to the ILB, while Humphrey/young both show press coverage and one blitzes while the other drops, make that a zone drop with an OLB drop to clutter the lanes while you have a speedy db blitz.

I expect Wink to take full advantage of the weapons. Schemed pressure should be a staple.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Total QB Hits Produced Through Week 2

BAL: 21
NO: 18
GB: 17
MIN: 16
CAR, CHI, NE, NYJ: 15
BUF, IND: 14
ATL, CLE, PHI, SF: 13
JAX: 12 ARI, CIN, DET, PIT, TEN: 11
DAL, HOU: 10
KC, LAR, NYG OAK: 8
SEA,
TB: 7
LAC, WAS: 6
MIA: 5
DEN: 2
Something is seriously wrong with the Broncos' defense. To have that much talent in the front seven and in the secondary but never getting home is a major problem.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
https://twitter.com/ravens4dummies/status/1173612074213224448

here's the image the tweet comments on for those who cant be bothered lol:

EEmB9PxW4AAhHuW