• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Training Camp and the Preseason

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Looks like Boykin is continuing his great training camp and had the play of the day.

Rookie receiver Miles Boykin provided the play of the day when he beat Marlon Humphrey’s press coverage from the slot and caught a perfectly placed back shoulder throw from Lamar Jackson deep downfield. Boykin also caught an intermediate crossing route in stride that he could have taken to the house and corralled another pass that Jimmy Smith tipped in the back on the end zone, but could not quite stay in bounds.

https://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2...in-marlon-humphrey-lamar-jackson-mark-andrews

Reactions: cdp

purp

Practice Squad
Yes but he runs the ball FAR more than he would ever get sacked. I think the NFL record for sacks allowed is either high 60s or low 70s by the expansion Texans and Lamar Jackson had 115 in just the regular season games AFTER he took over as the starter. Note there are only 7 of those so even if you double it and drop the extra 2 games its still 230 rushing attempts which is a LOT of hits to take as a QB.

This I agree with. There is a reason RBs are undervalued (and honestly should fight for a different pay scale/contract duration in the next CBA).

I want Lamar to be Lamar but I also only want to see lightning when we absolutely need it. Throwing well reduces that amount.

Charm City

Pro Bowler
The best part about Boykin doing well in camp thus far is that it shows us the FO may have found the formula it needs to finally draft a good WR, assuming his performance translates to an actual NFL game. We did not just take a player that fell to our spot, we traded up for a player which means that our rating on him was too high for us to wait and hope he fell a couple of spots.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
The best part about Boykin doing well in camp thus far is that it shows us the FO may have found the formula it needs to finally draft a good WR, assuming his performance translates to an actual NFL game. We did not just take a player that fell to our spot, we traded up for a player which means that our rating on him was too high for us to wait and hope he fell a couple of spots.
Like maybe hands are important for a receiver? Who’da thunkit?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Looks like Boykin is continuing his great training camp and had the play of the day.

Rookie receiver Miles Boykin provided the play of the day when he beat Marlon Humphrey’s press coverage from the slot and caught a perfectly placed back shoulder throw from Lamar Jackson deep downfield. Boykin also caught an intermediate crossing route in stride that he could have taken to the house and corralled another pass that Jimmy Smith tipped in the back on the end zone, but could not quite stay in bounds.

https://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2...in-marlon-humphrey-lamar-jackson-mark-andrews
Boykins top concern for me personally was beating press, having decent suddenness but lacking quick feet at the line, if he’s beating marlon freaking Humphrey in press then holy hell, we might have something.

Maybe beating press shouldn’t have been a big concern because yeah he lacks that quickness, but he plays with such a lean that his chest is never exposed, I imagine it may be kinda hard to get a good hand on him without drawing a holding call

I bet if Boykin added size and practiced he could become an edge rusher, he’s got that natural lean and that bend. Never thought anything of bend when grading receivers but that might be a trait worth looking into with these big guys

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yes but he runs the ball FAR more than he would ever get sacked. I think the NFL record for sacks allowed is either high 60s or low 70s by the expansion Texans and Lamar Jackson had 115 in just the regular season games AFTER he took over as the starter. Note there are only 7 of those so even if you double it and drop the extra 2 games its still 230 rushing attempts which is a LOT of hits to take as a QB.

Yeah, but how many times is he actually getting hit hard? Lamar is too quick to really get squared up on so as long as he's not taking too much punishment out there then I don't see the problem.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Yeah, but how many times is he actually getting hit hard? Lamar is too quick to really get squared up on so as long as he's not taking too much punishment out there then I don't see the problem.
If Lamar continues to run that much I don’t think it’s if, I think it’s a just a matter of when he’s blind sided and smashed. True it could happen in the pocket, but physics says it would be much worse while he’s running, and the opponent running as well.

Last edited:

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer

Time to move Marlon to strong safety

purp

Practice Squad
Boykins top concern for me personally was beating press, having decent suddenness but lacking quick feet at the line, if he’s beating marlon freaking Humphrey in press then holy hell, we might have something.

Maybe beating press shouldn’t have been a big concern because yeah he lacks that quickness, but he plays with such a lean that his chest is never exposed, I imagine it may be kinda hard to get a good hand on him without drawing a holding call

I bet if Boykin added size and practiced he could become an edge rusher, he’s got that natural lean and that bend. Never thought anything of bend when grading receivers but that might be a trait worth looking into with these big guys

Hear me out...but can he pitch?

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor

I firmly have said I think speed is the most overrated thing people hype speed but good hands and strong route running win (we were talking Brown when we mentioned it but it applies here in the positive).

I wish I had seen tape of him but everything I've heard about his strengths and how he has looked makes me think that he has "it" and to have a potential number 1 playing here on a rookie deal and not at end of their career could be huge.

Ferguson was named as one of the better pass rushers from this year's draft by Willie McGinest in his appearance on the Move the Sticks podcast. He also said the young rushers these days don't know how to use their hands.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Also in his article, McPhee is the starting OLB, and on McPhee’s Veterans Day off Tim Williams took his spot with the 1s. Great sign

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor

No one can ever reach his chest because of his freakish arm length. Remember his combine is what vaulted him. His measurables and performance in drills were near the top in every category

purp

Practice Squad
No one can ever reach his chest because of his freakish arm length. Remember his combine is what vaulted him. His measurables and performance in drills were near the top in every category

99th percentile at his size. You’re talking Julio Jones and Calvin Johnson levels of athleticism.

He put on 7-10 pounds of quick-twitch muscle. Overall he looks improved, but I want to see a couple of preseason drives first.

counter question: how is Za'Darius looking so far? Does Pettine plan to let him rush from the edge or more from the inside?
He does plan on it. He hasn't done much in camp. Right now Rashan Gary is looking very impressive believe it or not. What did you guys think of us releasing Mike Daniels?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
doesn't hurt to have an excellent work ethic either and supposedly he has that.