• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Miles Boykin - He Deserves His Own Thread

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Been a fan of the pick from the moment he was announced so not really surprised, but gl1d you guys are hopping on the bandwagon

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Have a feeling Scott makes it over Wesley who ends up on the practice squad. Wesley then takes Moore’s spot when he walks next year and guys like Adeboyejo and Lasley are done.

I see Modster and Jaylen Smith on the PS as well.

Well since Scott was a draft choice I could see this playing out like this.

purp

Practice Squad
Well since Scott was a draft choice I could see this playing out like this.

Lasley was a draft choice too...the only difference is 1.25 training camps later only one of them looks like an NFL receiver. We’re legitimately looking at potential pass catching hits with...

-Andrews
-Scott
-Brown*
-Hurst
-Boykin

...in just a two-year span. Asterisk for Brown since we haven’t seen him yet but I was watching a video of him practicing routes the other day and the kid looks filthy. He might be the most polished route runner we’ve ever drafted.

If Boykin’s trajectory continues...who do you double in a 3 receiver set? Your choice is either spy Lamar or leave Boykin or Brown 1-on-1. Then you’ve got a mismatch with a linebacker on Andrews or Hurst and one of those receivers on an island.

You could go the Chargers route and put 100 DBs on the field but, assuming we’ve learned our lesson from the playoff game we should be able to run all day. Very exciting prospects for this offense.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
If Boykin and Hollywood both pan out then we could be looking at the most dangerous offense in the league. Mismatches everywhere and then, if you somehow get everyone covered, Lamar can still scramble to the sideline for 6-7 yds, or longer, on any given play.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I will say that on one of the plays I hyped of both Boykin and Lamar(the 40+ yard fade where Boykin roasted jimmy) Lamar didn’t throw as well as I thought. What I saw in person and what I saw in video looked different, in person it looked like a beautiful fade in general but in video you see a slight underthrow turning a 50+ yard TD into a 40 some yard catch

So... szn ovr

purp

Practice Squad
I will say that on one of the plays I hyped of both Boykin and Lamar(the 40+ yard fade where Boykin roasted jimmy) Lamar didn’t throw as well as I thought. What I saw in person and what I saw in video looked different, in person it looked like a beautiful fade in general but in video you see a slight underthrow turning a 50+ yard TD into a 40 some yard catch

So... szn ovr

I chalk that up to developing chemistry. Boykin is deceptively fast and Lamar threw to a spot. Also, if it’s the play I’m thinking of, if Deshon Elliot doesn’t blow that coverage an overthrow risked an INT.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor

So... szn ovr
I saw the same play live as well and Boykin had to break stride and turn around to cradle the catch. So yes, it was slightly under thrown and just out of reach of Jimmy. You know what that play reminded me of? The mile high miracle except Jimmy didn't get burned after the catch.

purp

Practice Squad
I saw the same play live as well and Boykin had to break stride and turn around to cradle the catch. So yes, it was slightly under thrown and just out of reach of Jimmy. You know what that play reminded me of? The mile high miracle except Jimmy didn't get burned after the catch.

Which also suggests that we coach underthrows

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Another thing I've noticed about Boykin is that he has exceptionally quick hands and he knows how to use them to separate last minute. He also very, very quickly snags a ball and tucks. This may seem a small thing but it stands out to me and speaks to his fluidity and natural ability to catch and quickly secure the football.

His last minute "push offs" are so subtle you really have to watch to see it. He's very advanced doing this. Seeing him beat Greedy Williams on a 3rd and 18 with a straight go...watching him stack and very subtly shoot an arm at the last minute really sold me on how ready he is.

purp

Practice Squad
Another thing I've noticed about Boykin is that he has exceptionally quick hands and he knows how to use them to separate last minute. He also very, very quickly snags a ball and tucks. This may seem a small thing but it stands out to me and speaks to his fluidity and natural ability to catch and quickly secure the football.

His last minute "push offs" are so subtle you really have to watch to see it. He's very advanced doing this. Seeing him beat Greedy Williams on a 3rd and 18 with a straight go...watching him stack and very subtly shoot an arm at the last minute really sold me on how ready he is.

The snatch ability really reminds you of Q.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
What I like is that he's not just beating guys that won't come close to starting. A lot of our hyped WRs in the past only had highlights when taking on 2nd or 3rd string defenders. Boykin is making play against Jimmy Smith and Marvin. These are top 15 in the league cbs. Them playing soft is still better than most corners Boykin will face in the season.

purp

Practice Squad
What I like is that he's not just beating guys that won't come close to starting. A lot of our hyped WRs in the past only had highlights when taking on 2nd or 3rd string defenders. Boykin is making play against Jimmy Smith and Marvin. These are top 15 in the league cbs. Them playing soft is still better than most corners Boykin will face in the season.

That’s the major concern about guys like Scott, Wesley and Modster. However we finally have a team where those three are at the bottom of the depth chart and we’re not all sitting here trying to convince ourselves that “scheme,” “chemistry,” or “our elite QB” are going to make them better a la Marlon Brown, Kamar Aiken, etc. etc. etc.

purp

Practice Squad
Scott did beat Brandon Carr in one of the highlights videos from camp.

And hopefully he is exactly the player we thought Marlon Brown would be for us. I’m just happy a guy like that isn’t the hope for the future of the franchise any more lol.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Lasley was a draft choice too...the only difference is 1.25 training camps later only one of them looks like an NFL receiver. We’re legitimately looking at potential pass catching hits with...

-Andrews
-Scott
-Brown*
-Hurst
-Boykin

...in just a two-year span. Asterisk for Brown since we haven’t seen him yet but I was watching a video of him practicing routes the other day and the kid looks filthy. He might be the most polished route runner we’ve ever drafted.

If Boykin’s trajectory continues...who do you double in a 3 receiver set? Your choice is either spy Lamar or leave Boykin or Brown 1-on-1. Then you’ve got a mismatch with a linebacker on Andrews or Hurst and one of those receivers on an island.

You could go the Chargers route and put 100 DBs on the field but, assuming we’ve learned our lesson from the playoff game we should be able to run all day. Very exciting prospects for this offense.
Maybe andrews but the rest of them havent really showed much

purp

Practice Squad
Maybe andrews but the rest of them havent really showed much

I think Hurst has shown enough to be fairly confident he will continue to progress in year 2 if he can stay on the field. The others haven’t shown anything...given that they’re rookies but I don’t think we’ve ever had this many skill position guys flash during camp.

Definitely grounds for hope but I agree that they need to do it in games before we start building EDC a statue.