• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: vs Cardinals

How many times will Lamar run the football

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GG.exe

Practice Squad
I think we will win. But this is a little bit of a danger game.

1. We had our way with the Dolphins so much it can make us complacent, mental errors, lazy turnovers/tackles. So what could be a 35-17 win, could end up a 27-24 win. Just like the Lions, went up big early and sat back, played it timidly/lazily, and allowed the Cardinals back into it.

2. The Cardinals D is not bad at all. They can bring intense/smart pressure on the edges with Chandler Jones and long-time Raven Terrell Suggs. That in itself could be a motivator for Suggs too, to put on a clinic against his former team.

3. The Cardinals O improved a lot in the second half of that Lions game, Kyler has some moxy to him, so got to treat them with ferocity still.

It has the potential to be either a sneaky top game of the week, with both Murray and Lamar showing themselves to be bright lights of the future, a lot of big plays from both teams/QBs, and a final result like 27-24 Ravens favor. Or, we are ferocious and lap them something like 35-17.

Can't see a Cardinals win, objectively.

purp

Practice Squad
I think we will win. But this is a little bit of a danger game.

1. We had our way with the Dolphins so much it can make us complacent, mental errors, lazy turnovers/tackles. So what could be a 35-17 win, could end up a 27-24 win. Just like the Lions, went up big early and sat back, played it timidly/lazily, and allowed the Cardinals back into it.

2. The Cardinals D is not bad at all. They can bring intense/smart pressure on the edges with Chandler Jones and long-time Raven Terrell Suggs. That in itself could be a motivator for Suggs too, to put on a clinic against his former team.

3. The Cardinals O improved a lot in the second half of that Lions game, Kyler has some moxy to him, so got to treat them with ferocity still.

It has the potential to be either a sneaky top game of the week, with both Murray and Lamar showing themselves to be bright lights of the future, a lot of big plays from both teams/QBs, and a final result like 27-24 Ravens favor. Or, we are ferocious and lap them something like 35-17.

Can't see a Cardinals win, objectively.

Definitely has the symptoms of a trap game but that’s what our Head Coach is paid for. I’m not worried about us showing up, the question will be can Lamar and the OL stack another great game.

GG.exe

Practice Squad
Definitely has the symptoms of a trap game but that’s what our Head Coach is paid for. I’m not worried about us showing up, the question will be can Lamar and the OL stack another great game.
Yep, that will be the thing to take from this game....how our OL and Lamar stack up against a good D who has blitzing skills.

GG.exe

Practice Squad
The Cards went 10 personnel %70 of the time, which is astronomical. In 2018, the Steelers used that set the most in the league at only %9.

We were average against 11 personnel against Miami. Can see the Cards putting up some points if they go 10 from the get go.

Fitzpatrick had like a 105 rating in 11 and the Cards made their comeback by switching to 10 for virtually every play in the 2nd half.

Ravens secondary is a little banged up at the moment, so will be interesting.

It COULD be a sneaky closer game than many think.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lamar is not a complacent Qb . He is a very young Qb with a major chip on his shoulder due to the haters saying he will never be a good throwing QB . “ Not bad for a running back “ is all you need to know about complacency from the offensive leader .

purp

Practice Squad
Lamar is not a complacent Qb . He is a very young Qb with a major chip on his shoulder due to the haters saying he will never be a good throwing QB . “ Not bad for a running back “ is all you need to know about complacency from the offensive leader .

Agree. He talks about Tom Brady a lot and you can tell he really admires him. You love to see it.

GG.exe

Practice Squad
cardinals run a very simple defence that doesnt use much blitzing and certainly doesnt have the LBs or corners to play that sort of game - they dont have the talent on defence outside of their edge defenders (T sizzle and Chandler Jones)
https://arizonasports.com/story/1832980/cardinals-dc-vance-joseph-3-4-defense-nick-bosa/

This article is a nice little introduction to Cardinals' DC Vance Joseph's defensive blueprint. They changed to a 3-4 so they could be more aggressive, confuse the QB who are the extra rushers, as opposed to a 4-3 he ran at Denver. They play a lot of man and blitz often on 1st and 2nd down, with four or five rushers, confusing which is the 4th and 5th from snap to snap. Ideally putting teams in 3rd and long situations.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
https://arizonasports.com/story/1832980/cardinals-dc-vance-joseph-3-4-defense-nick-bosa/

This article is a nice little introduction to Cardinals' DC Vance Joseph's defensive blueprint. They changed to a 3-4 so they could be more aggressive, confuse the QB who are the extra rushers, as opposed to a 4-3 he ran at Denver. They play a lot of man and blitz often on 1st and 2nd down, with four or five rushers, confusing which is the 4th and 5th from snap to snap. Ideally putting teams in 3rd and long situations.

that may have been the play but i watched every snap of the lions game and that's not what they did - their defence is not particularly complex and doesnt use a lot of disguise

you can tell how old that article is because its not only pre-draft but its pre-draft when pundits thought the cardinals might pick someone like nick bosa rather than kyler murray lol

GG.exe

Practice Squad
that may have been the play but i watched every snap of the lions game and that's not what they did - their defence is not particularly complex and doesnt use a lot of disguise

you can tell how old that article is because its not only pre-draft but its pre-draft when pundits thought the cardinals might pick someone like nick bosa rather than kyler murray lol

I will take your word for it (Cards D vs Lions). I only skipped thru that game on Gamepass one time and didn't have time to analyze it properly. But I will certainly get time to watch their D versus our (dare I say) now vaunted O, and see what they did.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I will take your word for it (Cards D vs Lions). I only skipped thru that game on Gamepass one time and didn't have time to analyze it properly. But I will certainly get time to watch their D versus our (dare I say) now vaunted O, and see what they did.

i expect them to do alright vs the run this year with corey peters inside - he busted the lions zone running scheme by penetrating between the LG and C but he wont be able to that in our scheme - he'll have to win 1v1 against skura with the run likely going away from him but we'll see how they do vs our running game

their linebackers are a huge weakness in coverage and they like to play a lot of single high with budda baker as the deep safety (and he seems to play very deep) which creates so much space for the seam and intermediate crossers - and if hollywood occupies the single high safety then there's a hell of a lot of open field for a different receiver to exploit

schematically we should win this game on both sides of the ball - the players need to execute though

GG.exe

Practice Squad
i expect them to do alright vs the run this year with corey peters inside - he busted the lions zone running scheme by penetrating between the LG and C but he wont be able to that in our scheme - he'll have to win 1v1 against skura with the run likely going away from him but we'll see how they do vs our running game

their linebackers are a huge weakness in coverage and they like to play a lot of single high with budda baker as the deep safety (and he seems to play very deep) which creates so much space for the seam and intermediate crossers - and if hollywood occupies the single high safety then there's a hell of a lot of open field for a different receiver to exploit

schematically we should win this game on both sides of the ball - the players need to execute though
Spot on.
If they do manage to curtail our run, or have some success early, we've shown (so far) we can tear poor coverage apart in the passing game. They won't be able to stop both, unless they do heavily disguise blitzes and coverage looks, try to get to Lamar's head.

My main concern is their O vs our D. Playing in 10 personnel can cause us trouble (Miami-Fitz in 11 had success against us). If there's a way they make this game close it'll be due to an offensive shootout.

Ravens CB Marlon Humphrey (back) is questionable for Week 2 against the Cardinals.
Humphrey's status has taken on increased importance with Jimmy Smith (knee) out. He didn't practice much this week but should play through his back injury. The Ravens secondary will be at less than full strength Sunday, upgrading the matchups for Kyler Murray and Arizona's pass game.

Thats not good. Its weird how we draft these durable college players then they catch the injury bug, we must train on an indian burial site or something. Then theres Judon who had injuries in college and hes been an iron man for us. ‍♂️

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Thats not good. Its weird how we draft these durable college players then they catch the injury bug, we must train on an indian burial site or something. Then theres Judon who had injuries in college and hes been an iron man for us. ‍♂️
We clearly sacrificed the health of a select few for Judon to be healthy.