• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2019: Week 2 Discussion Thread (Other Teams)

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
He is more a S. Got killed for saying but imo he is still not a good outside cb
I wanted him as a safety when he was coming into the NFL as well, but he was good at corner back last year with the Dolphins, even at outside corner. He was elite when he played slot corner though. The Dolphins had him learning all of the secondary positions in the offseason and I think having him be good at all the positions and master of none is the wrong way to go, imo.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I wanted him as a safety when he was coming into the NFL as well, but he was good at corner back last year with the Dolphins, even at outside corner. He was elite when he played slot corner though. The Dolphins had him learning all of the secondary positions in the offseason and I think having him be good at all the positions and master of none is the wrong way to go, imo.
Yea makes sense but if im steelers im not giving them my 1st when my starting qb just got hurt for the season. They are looking like a top 10 pick or maybe even 5

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yea makes sense but if im steelers im not giving them my 1st when my starting qb just got hurt for the season. They are looking like a top 10 pick or maybe even 5

They probably figure they are around a 5-11 team (playing the AFC East this year is just not good for tanking teams) so picking in 8-12 range which is where Minkah was picked a year ago. Combine that with the fact that Minkah has actually shown something AND the fact that he is a very cheap first-round pick and I would say its worth giving up a 1st for the security that comes with knowing you have a good player vs hoping you do.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
They probably figure they are around a 5-11 team (playing the AFC East this year is just not good for tanking teams) so picking in 8-12 range which is where Minkah was picked a year ago. Combine that with the fact that Minkah has actually shown something AND the fact that he is a very cheap first-round pick and I would say its worth giving up a 1st for the security that comes with knowing you have a good player vs hoping you do.

except for the fact that the steelers is where defensive backs go to die lol
none of their talent in the secondary ever seems to work out

this is what the steelers defense now looks like in terms of draft capital (obviously not all originally steelers picks)

Steelers starting defense:
Heyward - 1st round
Hargrave- 3rd round
Tuitt - 2nd round
Watt - 1st round
Barron - 1st round
Bush - 1st round
Dupree - 1st round
Haden - 1st round
Edmunds - 1st round
Fitzpatrick - 1st round
Nelson - 3rd round

and yet the steelers so far have one of the worst pass defences in the league

I would not like that trade if it was us, but if I were a Steelers fan I would like it. The Steelers can’t seem to draft a good corner (example Artie Burns) so it makes sense for them.
Well in the post game, former Steeler Ryan Clark said he hated it.

The point is - the trade will be fine IF - Rudolph is the QB of the future. Do they know that now? No, they don't. Its like they are banking on it.

If he fails miserably (which is what we're all hoping for) then they end up with a high pick in 2020 that they should use to get their actual QB of the future ... oh, but sorry, the Dolphins have it.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer

The point is - the trade will be fine IF - Rudolph is the QB of the future. Do they know that now? No, they don't. Its like they are banking on it.

If he fails miserably (which is what we're all hoping for) then they end up with a high pick in 2020 that they should use to get their actual QB of the future ... oh, but sorry, the Dolphins have it.
You make a good point that I can't argue with.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor

I mean they play the Dolphins later this year so the Steelers were at least going to beat them at least so Tua was probably not an option for them.(though it might create a scenario where it is FINALLY in the best interest of the Dolphins to actually win a game).

Either way I would assume the Steelers are banking on either Ben being back next year or giving Rudolph 2 years to try it out then seeing who they can draft (and if you are a fan of them hopefully its a certain player who would have been number 1 pick last year this year and next year).

rossihunter2

Staff Member

tbf they are still pretty sure that big ben is their qb for a couple more years after this one - at least that's when he's signed through until

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
I mean they play the Dolphins later this year so the Steelers were at least going to beat them at least so Tua was probably not an option for them.(though it might create a scenario where it is FINALLY in the best interest of the Dolphins to actually win a game).

Either way I would assume the Steelers are banking on either Ben being back next year or giving Rudolph 2 years to try it out then seeing who they can draft (and if you are a fan of them hopefully its a certain player who would have been number 1 pick last year this year and next year).
I wonder if Tua would pull an Eli Manning and refuse to go to Miami.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
I wonder if Tua would pull an Eli Manning and refuse to go to Miami.

He can always return to school for his senior year as well. With NFL players realizing and using the power they always had, agents would be wise to be in these young kids ears and get them to better situations via an Eli.

That's what I don't get what the Dolphins are doing in a sense. By the time they are competitive, Tua will be up for a new contract and will sign elsewhere restarting the QB process again. Wasting 4-5 years.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
He can always return to school for his senior year as well. With NFL players realizing and using the power they always had, agents would be wise to be in these young kids ears and get them to better situations via an Eli.

That's what I don't get what the Dolphins are doing in a sense. By the time they are competitive, Tua will be up for a new contract and will sign elsewhere restarting the QB process again. Wasting 4-5 years.

I mean I assume what the Dolphins hope happens is that they get 2 of the top 5 picks this year (not unlikely) and get a QB and key piece as well as several top players with all the second and third round picks they have as well as a pick probably in the early to late teens. After that they probably are awful next year and use the draft and FA to solidify what is left and are competitive by year 3 of the QBs deal.

The problem is all this assumes a QB can properly develop when the team around them is dreadful which has traditionally not been the case. There are exceptions of course (one of whom just retired) and I guess Miami is hoping they can be one of them

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I think dolphins should be able to get away with maybe giving jville their 2nd rnd pick and possible a later pick for ramsey.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
except for the fact that the steelers is where defensive backs go to die lol
none of their talent in the secondary ever seems to work out

this is what the steelers defense now looks like in terms of draft capital (obviously not all originally steelers picks)

Steelers starting defense:
Heyward - 1st round
Hargrave- 3rd round
Tuitt - 2nd round
Watt - 1st round
Barron - 1st round
Bush - 1st round
Dupree - 1st round
Haden - 1st round
Edmunds - 1st round
Fitzpatrick - 1st round
Nelson - 3rd round

and yet the steelers so far have one of the worst pass defences in the league

It's awful especially when you look at our current defense.

Going by depth chart:

Williams 3rd round
Pierce UDFA
Wormley 3rd round
McPhee 5th round
Young 4th round
Onwuasor UDFA
Judon 5th round
Humphrey 1st round
Jefferson UDFA (only UDFA we didn't find ourselves)
Thomas 1st round
Carr 5th round

Damn it, I'd like to see Bowser show something to get a 2nd round pick in the mix somewhere.