• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.
  • Hey there! We are so glad that you could make it to PurpleFlock on game day- thanks for stopping by! Be sure to sign up here in order to talk about today's game with our other members.

Week 2 Arizona Cardinals @ Baltimore Ravens

Status
Not open for further replies.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Respectfully you'd be wrong like the myriad others out here and in general punditry. I think you ought to read Bleacher Report's article on Lamar because Freeman has a point of view that is similar to mine.
I read that article last night. Very good read

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
And?? You didn't agree with the thrust of the article?
I'm just giving it some more time but I would agree with the premise.

In regards to Mayfield. I think I'm going to call him Baker "Denis the Menace" Mayfield, since Denis is his middle name. He does act like it

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm just giving it some more time but I would agree with the premise.

In regards to Mayfield. I think I'm going to call him Baker "Denis the Menace" Mayfield, since Denis is his middle name. He does act like it
But, Dennis the Menace was adorable in all his naughtiness. Not so Baker Mayfield who is an arrogant, whiny POS.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think Baker could be a flash in the pan. Kinda like a Derek Carr where he initially looks good the flames out and cools down and doesn’t amount to much. Then again, he could also become something. I agree on his attitude being bad. I think Baker came in more ready but he could quickly find himself behind if he doesn’t maintain. That’s the one thing in the NFL is you have to always get better. If you don’t then you can quickly fall behind and be done.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think Baker could be a flash in the pan. Kinda like a Derek Carr where he initially looks good the flames out and cools down and doesn’t amount to much. Then again, he could also become something. I agree on his attitude being bad. I think Baker came in more ready but he could quickly find himself behind if he doesn’t maintain. That’s the one thing in the NFL is you have to always get better. If you don’t then you can quickly fall behind and be done.
and this very well could be his downfall. He probably thinks he's already great and doesn't need to work on his craft in the offseason. That being said he has a ton of talent.

Last edited:

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
See I think you have identified his achilles heel. He is too arrogant and entitled to work on his craft. He's a show man every chance he gets much like Manziel was. Lamar to the contrary, is a kid that is working on his weaknesses real or perceived on a daily basis striving to be better. More importantly he doesn't dwell on the positives thereby allowing no success ever to get to his head. In some ways he is like Brady (6th round pick) who played with a chip on his shoulder forever and was improving on a weekly basis till he became a finished product that was hard to contain.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i see a lot of piling on here of baker but he's shown nothing really that has changed my opinion of him
he's still a really good looking quarterback who has that on-the-field "it" factor and i see a lot of projecting about him being rambunctious and that meaning his complacent

the one thing that will be baker's downfall this year if it doesnt work out will be that offensive line - it's a disgraceful OL they've put together and its potentially going to ruin his timing, confidence, feel, pocket presence etc.

if this guy wasnt in cleveland with Odell and Landry etc. you guys would love him

there's so many vanilla qbs in the league who are boring - its refreshing to have a cocky guy in the league who seems to actually back it up a bit

rossihunter2

Staff Member
See I think you have identified his achilles heel. He is too arrogant and entitled to work on his craft. He's a show man every chance he gets much like Manziel was. Lamar to the contrary, is a kid that is working on his weaknesses real or perceived on a daily basis striving to be better. More importantly he doesn't dwell on the positives thereby allowing no success ever to get to his head. In some ways he is like Brady (6th round pick) who played with a chip on his shoulder forever and was improving on a weekly basis till he became a finished product that was hard to contain.

dude he's nothing like manziel - the comparison between them pre-draft was ridiculous and superficial at best and its even more ridiculous now

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
i see a lot of piling on here of baker but he's shown nothing really that has changed my opinion of him
he's still a really good looking quarterback who has that on-the-field "it" factor and i see a lot of projecting about him being rambunctious and that meaning his complacent

the one thing that will be baker's downfall this year if it doesnt work out will be that offensive line - it's a disgraceful OL they've put together and its potentially going to ruin his timing, confidence, feel, pocket presence etc.

if this guy wasnt in cleveland with Odell and Landry etc. you guys would love him

there's so many vanilla qbs in the league who are boring - its refreshing to have a cocky guy in the league who seems to actually back it up a bit
He's thrown more INTs than he's played games.
That's a huge warning sign for me.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor

I think Baker is a good QB. I also think he’s a jerk. Lol I don’t think that’s piling on. He could be great if he works at it but if he feels entitled or yes has no OL he could suffer. He really kinda reminds me of Derek Carr in that way or maybe David.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
dude he's nothing like manziel - the comparison between them pre-draft was ridiculous and superficial at best and its even more ridiculous now
Watch his game today and he is going to be Manziel 2.0 without the drug addiction of course. Just a whole lot of attitude without the work. Short of that ridiculous OBJ catch and run for a TD this punk was playing like a back up QB, a bad one at that.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think Baker is a good QB. I also think he’s a jerk. Lol I don’t think that’s piling on. He could be great if he works at it but if he feels entitled or yes has no OL he could suffer. He really kinda reminds me of Derek Carr in that way or maybe David.
David Carr was ruined before his career got off the starting line.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
While we are on the topic of Mayfield and his ineptitude playing QB let us discuss the reaction by the national media to his 54% completion rate and pathetic display against a totally depleted team at key positions. Not a peep from these moronic figure heads who had anointed this idiot king of the hill. He isn't no matter how much these pundits talk him up, he just is too arrogant to put the work in to be great. In start contrast to Jackson and Mahomes.

Now just flip scripts and imagine the stats being swapped. Baker would suddenly be the next coming of 'Jesus' and Lamar would already be confined to being a mega bust. The hypocrisy of fans that buy into the stereotype of white QBs being better for no reason other than that's what they have seen and believed all their life and then the pundits who do the same exact thing without doing a deep dive into the statistical data that can easily differentiate between the ones with potential and the ones without, etc.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
lets not go overboard here. Baker is still the best qb from his draft class. Browns are still likely to make the offs. Other than browns oline, ODB is bad for baker or any young qb. Kinda like how calvin was with stafford. Becuase these elite wrs are so good, i think it messes with their mental a little bit and they seem to always look for them even if theyre covered and i believe it fucks up the reads at times. I legit dont see browns winning a SB anytime soon with ODB tbh, baker isnt ready. He doesnt know how to handle what he got

Status
Not open for further replies.