• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Ravens Trade News: Marcus Peters, etc...

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
looks like we relesed bethel. I'm not a fan of this move. He's been excellent for us on special teams and for what? some late round 4th?

Team is in an excellent place and releasing a player ( watch him go to the patriots for intel) now isnt smart
Or maybe to recoup the 4th round comp pick and to create some cap space for a trade....

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Ramsey has been overglorified since coming into the league. He relies purley on being ubber athletic and long. His instincts are average.

I prefer the ballhawk corner which btw is a rare thing in the NFL

I think peters has more long term ability than ramsey. Peters is basically asante samuel. ( bit bigger but that kind of player)
can't really say he's not a ball hawk. He's had 9 interceptions since coming into the league. He's just not as big a ball hawk compared to Peters.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
looks like we relesed bethel. I'm not a fan of this move. He's been excellent for us on special teams and for what? some late round 4th?

Team is in an excellent place and releasing a player ( watch him go to the patriots for intel) now isnt smart
I'm surprised we did this, but I'm glad we did it in the end. He is a good special teams player, but a 4th rounder could have more value than special teams and also have starting ability. You mentioned Dixon earlier today and he was a 4th rounder.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Ramsey has been overglorified since coming into the league. He relies purley on being ubber athletic and long. His instincts are average.

I prefer the ballhawk corner which btw is a rare thing in the NFL

I think peters has more long term ability than ramsey. Peters is basically asante samuel. ( bit bigger but that kind of player)

peters is a player who will get picks until the day he retires no matter how old he is when that happens because he creates them with his filmstudy and with his eyes not with his athleticism - now obviously there are other elements to being a corner but peters has traits that make him successful that arent physical

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
peters is a player who will get picks until the day he retires no matter how old he is when that happens because he creates them with his filmstudy and with his eyes not with his athleticism - now obviously there are other elements to being a corner but peters has traits that make him successful that arent physical

rare type of corner. Could easily transition into FS when in his early 30's

rossihunter2

Staff Member

4th round pick is a big deal tbh - could be a player, could be a tool to trade up to go get a guy we really like, could be a tool in a trade to another team for a player...

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Bethel is a great special teamer.
But a 4th round comp pick will be so valuable to us. I think we have a lot of holes that we need to fill.

OG, WR (probably a slot for Snead), Pass rusher, LB, CBs if we’re letting jimmy & Carr walk plus Tavon’s neck scare and safety if jefferson and Elliot can’t come back fully healthy. A lot of holes to fill for sure.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Maybe we’ve put too much emphasis on Eric decosta being a pick hoarder because of the whole “the draft is a crapshoot/lottery” and not enough on the possibilities of having lots of picks to trade up or trade for a player

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
btw..

what was elliots injury? No ones ever actually said what it was? Obviously a ligament tear of some kind in the knee..right?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Maybe we’ve put too much emphasis on Eric decosta being a pick hoarder because of the whole “the draft is a crapshoot/lottery” and not enough on the possibilities of having lots of picks to trade up or trade for a player

the amount of wheeling and dealing he's already done is cool

and all this the year after we traded all over the draft in 2018 that allowed us to get lamar, hayden and a boatload of other players including mark and orlando

those 2 6ths to move up for boykin are looking like they might have been prescient - he's shown us glimpses of something in every game - just needs to start putting it all together in one game

rossihunter2

Staff Member
so we've released bethel and apparently the news on mcphee is not good - we just moved a DT off the practice squad too

we're about to have 3 spots to fill (2 on the 53 and 1 on the practice squad) and i have no idea what we're going to do to fill them

i think cutting bethel saves us some cap as well (although not sure how much)

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Jonas Shaffer on twitter:

Justin Bethel was an especially interesting case for the #Ravens, who lead the NFL in comp picks over the past two decades and routinely top the league's special teams rankings. In this case, the love of comp picks won out.

hahaha - it's like finally finding out what happens when an unstoppable force hits an immovable object - the 2 major philosophies of team building on the ravens and we finally find out which one is truly king in owings mills

so we've released bethel and apparently the news on mcphee is not good - we just moved a DT off the practice squad too

we're about to have 3 spots to fill (2 on the 53 and 1 on the practice squad) and i have no idea what we're going to do to fill them

i think cutting bethel saves us some cap as well (although not sure how much)
I'm no cap expert, but it appears we'll be saving 1.5M (guessing you look at current year, post-June 1)? Clip taken from overthecap.

upload_2019-10-21_17-0-47.png

I've talked about this before and some people make decisions about the type of GM EDC is based on what Ozzie did, when we have no real idea of how much influence EDC had on Ozzie decisions or on what decisions he chose to have influence.

IMO EDC can only be evaluated on what he has done since taking full control, which is only this off-season. He did not trade out of our 1st round spot - something so many predicted he would do because of our having no 2nd round pick and because Ozzie did it often. Did he even do any trade back? He traded up for Boykin and that's all I know.

Too many will assume he's an Ozzie clone, but I don't really think that is true. He can say "I learned from the best" but I think he'll show he's his own man and will be different in some ways. His actions - not Ozzies - will tell us what kind of GM he really is.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm no cap expert, but it appears we'll be saving 1.5M (guessing you look at current year, post-June 1)? Clip taken from overthecap.

View attachment 1827

some of the base salary will have been paid already surely because he's played 7 weeks of the season - so it's probably 9/16 of that 1.5m we save maybe... idk - brian mcfarland is the person to ask - albeit im sure someone's already asked him on twitter

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I've talked about this before and some people make decisions about the type of GM EDC is based on what Ozzie did, when we have no real idea of how much influence EDC had on Ozzie decisions or on what decisions he chose to have influence.

IMO EDC can only be evaluated on what he has done since taking full control, which is only this off-season. He did not trade out of our 1st round spot - something so many predicted he would because of our having no 2nd round pick and because Ozzie did it often. Did he even do any trade back? He traded up for Boykin and that's all I know.

Too many will assume he's an Ozzie clone, but I don't really think that is true. He can say "I learned from the best" but I think he's show he's his own man and will be different in some ways. His actions - not Ozzies - will tell us what kind of GM he really is.

he traded back and we picked up hollywood after that trade back 3 spots - we picked up an extra 4 and an extra 6 (which we used as part of the deal to go up to get boykin)

the 4th turned into imam marshall - who we may get back later this year off i/r depending on the state of our roster - in fact he might even be eligible to join the side before the pats game depending on if they have to miss 8 weeks or 8 games (cant remember which)

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
some of the base salary will have been paid already surely because he's played 7 weeks of the season - so it's probably 9/16 of that 1.5m we save maybe... idk - brian mcfarland is the person to ask - albeit im sure someone's already asked him on twitter
salary is guaranteed if your on the opening day roster and it's based on 17 weeks since players get paid during the bye week.