• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Ravens Trade News: Marcus Peters, etc...

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
The theory of the draft is quality player at below quality contract, but most times its middle of the road to bad player that the team can soon move on from. This is one of the reasons I loved the Minkah trade for the Steelers (the other being money), you trade1 year off a first-round pick for the knowledge that the guy is legit as opposed to the 50 percent of busts.

Basically I think teams tend to overvalue draft picks and think they draft better then they do.

As for 2nd contracts I agree its the most money, but forget the Bell situation its the KO situation that could cause problems. The one thing every player cares about is their own health, and that story might make players just not be willing to deal with them.
The KO situation could have impact, but its easy for the team to spin. He was a clearly descending player, who had largely been benched for declining production, who felt they wanted surgery to repair an issue the team thought he could play through. It's basically just he said, he said.

He will say he's injured and needed surgery. The teams doctors say he could have played through it, and from the teams POV, he just wanted to get surgery so he could land on IR and the team would be forced to pay him the rest of the year.

Its an ugly situation, but I can't say its unheard of either, or that it would damage their reputation for FAs.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Agreed, but for Bell and Mosley ... don't you think that a part of their brain is now telling them, after the fact, "what was I thinking? "

It is impossible for me to say really what I would do if I were in their shoes, but if someone is giving me the choice between $80M and a good situation or $90M a bad one, I feel like I'd choose the good situation for the sake of happiness. Yes $10M is a crazy amount of money, but in the face of $80M ... I mean is that extra $10M going to change my life?

I absolutely agree with your statement about ego. I want to be the highest paid player - if even by $1, because I'm better than everyone else ... regardless of what the situation is. I think it would serve them well if they looked at the organization and not the collection of players. A great player can turn a bad team around, if the organization isn't a mess, but they are virtually powerless to make a bad organization good.

We've seen this before with my beloved Orioles ... and the comment that they felt like they were offering "confederate money", because players knew to steer clear of our organization. So yes, teams like the Jets may be able to lure talent, but they will have to over pay and after what's gone on this year, that premium may be going up.

I think part of them regrets choosing the Jets. Bell looks so miserable there and almost looked like he was going to break down on the sideline. Sure, they got paid. However, getting beat like that and not winning does count for something. Most of these guys are very competitive, so losing has to sting all the while putting your body through that abuse.

D1City55

Pro Bowler
I think we come up with a pass rusher in free agency, whether that be Barrett or Ngakoue, but I'm not sure it's going to be by 4pm today.
I'm not high on paying Shaq Barrett or Ngakoue that much money honestly. Don't get me wrong, I was a huge fan of Ngakoue prior to the draft and wanted him here, but I'm not sold on paying him the money that he'll desire. I'd rather give up assets for a guy who's a certified stud. This FA class of pass rushers honestly suck and Its only going to make Barrett and Ngakoue more paid. It's not worth it for guys who aren't that big of a game changer.

I really wish DaMarcus Lawrence was a FA. That's a guy who I would have loved to sell the house for. Outside of him Idk who's our guy, but I'm not big on paying either of those two big money. If we pay an edge big money, then he's got to be a Suggs or Mack. We need someone who from the edge can be disruptive on all phases. Dominant against the run, pass, screens, predicting plays, etc. I would rather sell the house for someone like that then paying Yannick or Barrett. I don't view them as those type of players.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I'm not high on paying Shaq Barrett or Ngakoue that much money honestly. Don't get me wrong, I was a huge fan of Ngakoue prior to the draft and wanted him here, but I'm not sold on paying him the money that he'll desire. I'd rather give up assets for a guy who's a certified stud. This FA class of pass rushers honestly suck and Its only going to make Barrett and Ngakoue more paid. It's not worth it for guys who aren't that big of a game changer.

I really wish DaMarcus Lawrence was a FA. That's a guy who I would have loved to sell the house for. Outside of him Idk who's our guy, but I'm not big on paying either of those two big money. If we pay an edge big money, then he's got to be a Suggs or Mack. We need someone who from the edge can be disruptive on all phases. Dominant against the run, pass, screens, predicting plays, etc. I would rather sell the house for someone like that then paying Yannick or Barrett. I don't view them as those type of players.
You're not asking for much

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor

Yeah I agree. I wouldn’t pay 20mil / year on those guys. Rather lock up our guys (Stanley, Humphrey) and build through the draft. I’m excited to see EDC’s 2nd draft

D1City55

Pro Bowler
Yeah I agree. I wouldn’t pay 20mil / year on those guys. Rather lock up our guys (Stanley, Humphrey) and build through the draft. I’m excited to see EDC’s 2nd draft
I agree, I'd rather even pay Peters. He's such a play-maker and a guy with that many interceptions and run backs can really scare the hell out of opposing QBs. I think we can make it work to where we can keep Peters to go along with Stanley and Marlon getting paid. We already had a ton of cap space to work with next year without any cuts or retirements. I think I would prefer to make a big move in the draft for a guy or making a trade. You also don't have to get an edge player to improve the pass rush, we could also get an interior lineman to provide that as well. I think there's also a name out there soon who we just don't know about who will hit the market, happens every year. I know people don't like it but it works and we could probably get a guy like Melvin Ingram or Ryan Kerrigan who the Redskins could save 11M with no dead money by cutting. We could probably revisit a trade for him and bring him over here. Everyone wants to back up the brinks truck for either of those two but I just don't believe it's worth it. Those are guys who are probably going to pull between 17-20M a year.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Jarran Reed set for FA, he’s been so much better than I expected, and he really fits the Ravens mold of a DT, he’s physical, and he’s first and foremost a fundamentally sound run stopper, and brings legitimate pass rush as a complement.

Thoughts on him potentially hitting the market and should we pursue?

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Jarran Reed set for FA, he’s been so much better than I expected, and he really fits the Ravens mold of a DT, he’s physical, and he’s first and foremost a fundamentally sound run stopper, and brings legitimate pass rush as a complement.

Thoughts on him potentially hitting the market and should we pursue?
Do you want me to answer that question?

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
It would obviously depend on the price if he hits FA and I have a feeling we'd rather pay Pierce in that case but most likely we just get couple new guys in the draft and go from there.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
It would obviously depend on the price if he hits FA and I have a feeling we'd rather pay Pierce in that case but most likely we just get couple new guys in the draft and go from there.
Neville gallimore round 1 or fucking bust.

He may be my favorite realistic prospect and I don’t understand how his hype isn’t up there in the top 10

Damn, I did it again and turned a FA thread into a draft talk smh. Ok then... how about we break the bank for Chris Jones and call it a day lol

allblackraven

Hall of Famer

He may be my favorite realistic prospect and I don’t understand how his hype isn’t up there in the top 10

Damn, I did it again and turned a FA thread into a draft talk smh. Ok then... how about we break the bank for Chris Jones and call it a day lol
That dude isn't going anywhere, they'll probably cut Sammy Watkins to make cap room for Jones if they have to.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

no hype really for anyone yet because the offseason hasnt started lol

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor

Let's just trade with the Rams for Aaron Donald. It worked out well last time...