• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Ravens Trade News: Marcus Peters, etc...

https://twitter.com/pmgleason/status/1181188872216219648?s=21

“I Grew Up Watching Sugar
@raylewis & Uncle Quick @TwentyER
..... They Paved the Way For Great Defenses! They Gave Us The Model, The Passion, Attention To Detail, The Blueprint! So Of Course.......”

Oh man.. I hope it’s just a backup role if anything. Cardinals was horrible guarding TEs this year.. and he got release 3 weeks into the season.
Don't you just love that? Lamar's initial reaction is - "oh crap, I just took out a poor cameraman ... let me help her up." Tuitt clearly didn't give a shit lol.

Carr will likely be back unless he falls off a cliff in production. He’s cheap and effective enough. Jimmy could be back as well. I wouldn’t could put 22 yet because I think we will let him test FA and could bring him back but it would only be on a team friendly deal. It depends on what the team and player want and whether there’s a market for him.
And by team friendly deal, you mean one with provisions for if he only plays half a season.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Well jimmy is likely as good as gone next year, along with Carr. So there’s a reason. It frees us up to draft for things like OL and pass rush. We likely aren’t able to trade for a OL or pass rusher that would be a Ramsey caliber of player, so it addresses a long term need at a very important position by adding an unquestioned superstar and allows us to use our other resources elsewhere. If you can think of a pass rusher or LG/C we could trade for that can make the same impact that Ramsey would, then I’m all ears.

That said, I’ve fallen off the Ramsey train a bit, just giving you the very strong reasons as to why the ravens would make the move. It’s not like it’s just being done to try to win this year because jimmy went down, it’s because the future of our secondary looks very bleak
True, except you now have less resources to use also. I can't draft a pass rusher or Olineman in the first round because I no longer have a draft pick in the first round. We know two first rounders is the opening volley in trade discussions, because they've already turned that down. I don't want just one pass rusher or one lineman... I want multiple.

Plus I'm already paying market value for two safeties, and I'll soon (either 2020 or 2021) be paying market value for another corner in Marlon Humphrey, unless we're just going to let him walk and pay Ramsey, which makes no logical sense to me whatsoever.

I think Von Miller could make 10x the impact Ramsey could, but that doesn't mean we can or even should trade for him. I don't think we should be trading significant draft capital for anybody, let alone superstars who cost a ton to obtain, both in draft capital and in cap capital.

If we don't like the way our secondary looks next year, then we can invest some cap capital in it, which I expect we will. Spending money on a FA corner isn't a terrible idea. Trading a ton of quality draft picks AND paying a ton to one is a terrible idea. If I'm shipping multiple top picks to somebody, it better be for somebody who's playing multiple seasons at a discount. That ain't Ramsey, and its probably not anybody else we're going to discuss either.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
And by team friendly deal, you mean one with provisions for if he only plays half a season.
I think Jimmy will be a really interesting case. He'll be 32 next year, so realistically, he could probably play another year or two at a high enough level to be a quality #2 corner (especially when paired with Marlon). It will be interesting to see what the market thinks of him and at what price.

Like if you signed him for the same AAV he's getting now (somewhere around $10M a year), I'd sign him for 2-3 more years, with one year guaranteed. He very well may get better offers elsewhere, though.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
True, except you now have less resources to use also. I can't draft a pass rusher or Olineman in the first round because I no longer have a draft pick in the first round. We know two first rounders is the opening volley in trade discussions, because they've already turned that down. I don't want just one pass rusher or one lineman... I want multiple.

Plus I'm already paying market value for two safeties, and I'll soon (either 2020 or 2021) be paying market value for another corner in Marlon Humphrey, unless we're just going to let him walk and pay Ramsey, which makes no logical sense to me whatsoever.

I think Von Miller could make 10x the impact Ramsey could, but that doesn't mean we can or even should trade for him. I don't think we should be trading significant draft capital for anybody, let alone superstars who cost a ton to obtain, both in draft capital and in cap capital.

If we don't like the way our secondary looks next year, then we can invest some cap capital in it, which I expect we will. Spending money on a FA corner isn't a terrible idea. Trading a ton of quality draft picks AND paying a ton to one is a terrible idea. If I'm shipping multiple top picks to somebody, it better be for somebody who's playing multiple seasons at a discount. That ain't Ramsey, and its probably not anybody else we're going to discuss either.
You’re putting too much faith in our FOs drafting ability and I think that’s where we differ. I’ve seen what we’ve done with draft picks for the last decade and let’s just say I’m done with stockpiling picks and I no longer trust us to make the right moves

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Guys, we need a Bosa. We need a Mack. Forget Ramsey, we need to pay Marlon whatever he wants and that's that. We need to find a way to get to the QB, because there isn't anyone on the roster who can do that outside of Judon. I'm thinking we call the Redskins and see what they want for Ryan Kerrigan. Get him out of that mess of an organization.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Guys, we need a Bosa. We need a Mack. Forget Ramsey, we need to pay Marlon whatever he wants and that's that. We need to find a way to get to the QB, because there isn't anyone on the roster who can do that outside of Judon. I'm thinking we call the Redskins and see what they want for Ryan Kerrigan. Get him out of that mess of an organization.

Judon doesn't get to the QB on the regular either though IMO. But, I definitely a Bosa, a Mack, a Garrett etc.

RavensFan419

Pro Bowler
Well jimmy is likely as good as gone next year, along with Carr. So there’s a reason. It frees us up to draft for things like OL and pass rush. We likely aren’t able to trade for a OL or pass rusher that would be a Ramsey caliber of player, so it addresses a long term need at a very important position by adding an unquestioned superstar and allows us to use our other resources elsewhere. If you can think of a pass rusher or LG/C we could trade for that can make the same impact that Ramsey would, then I’m all ears.

That said, I’ve fallen off the Ramsey train a bit, just giving you the very strong reasons as to why the ravens would make the move. It’s not like it’s just being done to try to win this year because jimmy went down, it’s because the future of our secondary looks very bleak
id love to keep Jimmy for cheap considering his injuries he is still a great corner he is getting up there in age but we may have the upper hand

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I hope Denver changes their stance on Von and places him on the block. Would love to have him here

RavensFan419

Pro Bowler
I would agree though I think a legit game wrecking pass rusher is what this team is missing. I also really wish we couldve given CJ a better offer I think we are missing him especially with all these seems up the middle being missed screw the Jets

You’re putting too much faith in our FOs drafting ability and I think that’s where we differ. I’ve seen what we’ve done with draft picks for the last decade and let’s just say I’m done with stockpiling picks and I no longer trust us to make the right moves
So - you see no separation between EDC and Ozzie? Do you think that EDC is just a minion of Ozzie and that he was key in the decisions made during Ozzie's tenure?

I am not sure what to think yet. I do think that Eric will definitely show some of the same traits as Ozzie - including the desire to get picks where you can (I mean, if you can trade back and still get your guy - why not get some picks?) but I do think he will show some differences. I mean, we did take 2 WRs in the first 3 rounds last year and that is a first ever.

I think will be really interesting seeing how the front office is shaped by Eric. We waited a long time for the transition to take place and I do think it speaks volumes on how long he was willing to wait and how many jobs he was willing to turn down to be the heir to the Ravens personnel throne.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I've also seen what we've done in free agency the last decade, and I think it would be hard to argue we've been any better there.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I've also seen what we've done in free agency the last decade, and I think it would be hard to argue we've been any better there.
Daryl Smith, dumervil, Steve Smith, Ben Watson, Eric weddle, mike Wallace, Justin forsett, Owen Daniels, Matt birk, vonta leach, jacoby Jones.

Hell aside from Dominique foxworth and Tony Jefferson the ravens have been pretty damn good at hitting on FA signings. Our biggest blunders we’re almost exclusively re signing or extending guys for way more than they were worth or extending guys who had already hit their prime or would be injury problems, ray rice, Dennis pitta, haloti ngata, lardarius Webb, and then Joe Flacco’s second extension. Nothing we did in free agency can even sniff those blunders.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Daryl Smith, dumervil, Steve Smith, Ben Watson, Eric weddle, mike Wallace, Justin forsett, Owen Daniels, Matt birk, vonta leach, jacoby Jones.

Hell aside from Dominique foxworth and Tony Jefferson the ravens have been pretty damn good at hitting on FA signings. Our biggest blunders we’re almost exclusively re signing or extending guys for way more than they were worth or extending guys who had already hit their prime or would be injury problems, ray rice, Dennis pitta, haloti ngata, lardarius Webb, and then Joe Flacco’s second extension. Nothing we did in free agency can even sniff those blunders.
I would add Carr and yes, Earl Thomas to this list.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

Sure, but most of those guys were largely role players who played like 2-3 years, at most, then were done. If you're confident you can build a perennial contender with signing those kinds of players, then sure, I guess we can go that route.
If you want to obtain guys who can play well for you for a decade and be high quality players at their positions while they're here, then free agency has obtained virtually none of those players. There's only one place to go for that.

Everybody knows the draft is a crap shoot. That's why having as much ammo in the draft as possible is pretty much the only effective way to be successful at it. The good teams at drafting are going to hit like 30-40% on their players over the long run. The only true benefit of the draft is that I don't have pay FA prices to older players to watch them decline as a player when they leave (which is a microcosm of every single player you listed above).

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Sure, but most of those guys were largely role players who played like 2-3 years, at most, then were done. If you're confident you can build a perennial contender with signing those kinds of players, then sure, I guess we can go that route.
If you want to obtain guys who can play well for you for a decade and be high quality players at their positions while they're here, then free agency has obtained virtually none of those players. There's only one place to go for that.

Everybody knows the draft is a crap shoot. That's why having as much ammo in the draft as possible is pretty much the only effective way to be successful at it. The good teams at drafting are going to hit like 30-40% on their players over the long run. The only true benefit of the draft is that I don't have pay FA prices to older players to watch them decline as a player when they leave (which is a microcosm of every single player you listed above).
Signing a FA and then having them stick around for 10+ years is rare. Most medium to big name FAs are signed after years 4 and 5 and you’re talking 14+ year career, so Your qualifiers are extremely unreasonable. And on top of that, the players that are supposed to be 10+ year players for your franchise are your early draft picks, who was the last one to live up to that billing? Yanda? So we aren’t exactly hitting at the 30-40% rate you’re speaking of, in fact one could easily argue the ravens have done much better in FA than in the draft.