• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Ravens Trade News: Marcus Peters, etc...

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I just have a gut feeling we’re going to make a big trade for a star. Or maybe it’s just gas

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Given our cap situation, that "star" better not have a big contract. Otherwise it won't be happening.
We’ll be top 10 in cap space in the offseason

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Given our cap situation, that "star" better not have a big contract. Otherwise it won't be happening.
Our cap situation isn’t nearly as bad as it’s typically been, were a lot more flexible and any extension that may come with a trade can easily be pushed to next season

Yeah, as much as I would love Ramsey, pass rush is a much bigger issue on this team. Judon has been almost nonexistent, McPhee has been overworked, and no one else has even sniffed the QB (Ferguson seems to have a decent bull rush, but is still a project). I don't know if this team has ever had a pass rush this BAD; every QB we face has an eternity to wait for whoever Marlon isn't covering to get open.
At this moment, the lack of pass rush feels like the #1 reason why I don't see us as a contending team. Yes, the offense has been spotty, but our run game is good enough to hold things up and we can make some marginal improvements across the board as Lamar (hopefully) grows along with our new/young receiving corps. Yes, the secondary has had a lot to contend with in injuries, but as we can improve communication and hopefully get Jimmy back, it will not be a significant liability.

I just don't see that suddenly Bowser is going to become an effective pass rusher. Ferguson could improve some, but how much? Judon cannot consistently generate pressure, nor can McPhee. I just don't see this getting better without personnel upgrades. Given that, we will be picked apart by any top tier QB and that's who the contenders have.

There simply is no other glaring need on this team than pass rush ... and that's not an easy skill to draft and a very, very expensive skill to obtain through FA.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
We’ll be top 10 in cap space in the offseason
That's not really that relevant though. I'm talking about this season.

Take Von Miller for example. If we trade for him today, we'd owe him like $11.5M the rest of the year, which is cap impact for us. We don't have that. We have like $9.7M currently. That means you'd need to create about $4-5M in cap space in order to sign him. You'd need like $2M more to fit his contract in, plus you'd still need like $2-3M "in the bank" to add veteran players when needed, cover guys who go on IR and/or get signed off the practice squad, etc.

Based on what I see, I don't really see any easy or obvious ways to create that kind of cap space. There's no obvious dead weight just laying around that you could cut and move on from.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Our cap situation isn’t nearly as bad as it’s typically been, were a lot more flexible and any extension that may come with a trade can easily be pushed to next season
Sure, but it depends on the player. Since I used Von Miller as an example, and he fits the mold of the player we're talking about, I don't see why you would be handing out a contract extension at this point. He's 30, already being paid pretty close to market value (due $52M from 19-21), and has two years remaining on his deal after this one.

My point is we have around $9.5M in cap space right now. Whoever we trade for needs to comfortably fit under that in my opinion. If he doesn't, we're unlikely to bring them in.

Did anyone else catch the reports from the game yesterday where someone mentioned the Ravens setting up some trade deadline moves?

Once the Jalen Ramsey holdout started I was pretty confident that they would have gotten a deal done...almost certainly in fact. I was pretty much just scanning the internet to see when it broke. Now, after watching the defense the last 3 weeks, I think pass rush needs to be addressed immediately. Thoughts?
Yes, I certainly took note of the comment during our game, how we were seeking to be active before the trade deadline.

Here is an article (although, from so many people's whipping boy Jason LaConfora) on teams that will be active. Everyone is interested in Ramsey because of his talent level, but I've never felt he was a realistic get for us and doesn't make sense in the face of our biggest need - which is as you say - pass rush. Pass rush is stated as the top need for us in his article.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...aying-groundwork-for-frenzied-trade-deadline/

This one on ESPN: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...l-trade-candidates-proposing-deals-make-sense

Says we give up a 2020 first-round pick, 2020 fourth-round pick (compensatory) and a 2022 first-round pick to the Jaguars for Ramsey and a 2022 fourth-round pick

IMO the price for Ramsey is going down ... The Jags simply don't have an option to retain his services, so the only leverage they have is teams competing with each other for his services. Also - this back thing - is it a ruse ... or does he actually have an issue? Anyway you slice it, the Jags position is getting harder and harder. I'm not buying that we made the offer that was reported. I will be stunned if we make a trade that looks anything like that.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
At this moment, the lack of pass rush feels like the #1 reason why I don't see us as a contending team. Yes, the offense has been spotty, but our run game is good enough to hold things up and we can make some marginal improvements across the board as Lamar (hopefully) grows along with our new/young receiving corps. Yes, the secondary has had a lot to contend with in injuries, but as we can improve communication and hopefully get Jimmy back, it will not be a significant liability.

I just don't see that suddenly Bowser is going to become an effective pass rusher. Ferguson could improve some, but how much? Judon cannot consistently generate pressure, nor can McPhee. I just don't see this getting better without personnel upgrades. Given that, we will be picked apart by any top tier QB and that's who the contenders have.

There simply is no other glaring need on this team than pass rush ... and that's not an easy skill to draft and a very, very expensive skill to obtain through FA.

The pass rush is truly holding this team back right now. If we could just get one impact player there then I think it would totally transform our defense from being a laughingstock into a respectable unit that can create turnovers (ET and Marlon will make plays if QBs start rushing their throws).

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yes, I certainly took note of the comment during our game, how we were seeking to be active before the trade deadline.

Here is an article (although, from so many people's whipping boy Jason LaConfora) on teams that will be active. Everyone is interested in Ramsey because of his talent level, but I've never felt he was a realistic get for us and doesn't make sense in the face of our biggest need - which is as you say - pass rush. Pass rush is stated as the top need for us in his article.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...aying-groundwork-for-frenzied-trade-deadline/

This one on ESPN: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...l-trade-candidates-proposing-deals-make-sense

Says we give up a 2020 first-round pick, 2020 fourth-round pick (compensatory) and a 2022 first-round pick to the Jaguars for Ramsey and a 2022 fourth-round pick

IMO the price for Ramsey is going down ... The Jags simply don't have an option to retain his services, so the only leverage they have is teams competing with each other for his services. Also - this back thing - is it a ruse ... or does he actually have an issue? Anyway you slice it, the Jags position is getting harder and harder. I'm not buying that we made the offer that was reported. I will be stunned if we make a trade that looks anything like that.
1. I think there's no chance we give up a haul like that for basically anybody, and especially for a guy who you then have to turn around and pay a market setting contract for.
2. I don't know why we're being linked to Ramsey, when Corner, even today with the two main injuries we have, is like 10th on the priority list in my eyes. I don't see how adding any Corner is going to fix our problems, because our problems aren't our boundary Corners shutting down receivers. So unless we're trading for Ramsey so he can play the slot, match up with TE's, and also get to the QB, I don't see why we would want to be in that business.

Upgrade at WR I understand. Interior offensive line I understand. Linebacker (both inside and outside) I understand. Anybody at all who can rush the passer I understand. The rest I largely don't.

Fast Eddie

Practice Squad
1. I think there's no chance we give up a haul like that for basically anybody, and especially for a guy who you then have to turn around and pay a market setting contract for.
2. I don't know why we're being linked to Ramsey, when Corner, even today with the two main injuries we have, is like 10th on the priority list in my eyes. I don't see how adding any Corner is going to fix our problems, because our problems aren't our boundary Corners shutting down receivers. So unless we're trading for Ramsey so he can play the slot, match up with TE's, and also get to the QB, I don't see why we would want to be in that business.

First thing that came to my mind was Jimmy being hurt 4 - 6 weeks every season

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Tony Jefferson is now on IR, we now have a spot to fill on the roster. HMMMM........

Upgrade at WR I understand. Interior offensive line I understand. Linebacker (both inside and outside) I understand. Anybody at all who can rush the passer I understand. The rest I largely don't.
Hence my statement that I'd be stunned it we gave up that kind of capital for Ramsey. I've been saying from the moment we've been mentioned in the Ramsey sweepstakes that he really didn't make sense for us.

Aside from us having greater needs elsewhere - I also don't like the fact that he seems to be a perennial malcontent. I don't trust being able to get an extension for him without giving him a contract we can't really afford and having him belly-aching in the press. I think it will also put more pressure on locking up Marlon ahead of what is our planned schedule. IMO whatever we would pay Ramsey, we'd need to (and should) pay Marlon more. I think his presence could bring unwanted contention.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
https://twitter.com/pmgleason/status/1181188872216219648?s=21

“I Grew Up Watching Sugar
@raylewis & Uncle Quick @TwentyER
..... They Paved the Way For Great Defenses! They Gave Us The Model, The Passion, Attention To Detail, The Blueprint! So Of Course.......”

Oh man.. I hope it’s just a backup role if anything. Cardinals was horrible guarding TEs this year.. and he got release 3 weeks into the season.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Well jimmy is likely as good as gone next year, along with Carr. So there’s a reason. It frees us up to draft for things like OL and pass rush. We likely aren’t able to trade for a OL or pass rusher that would be a Ramsey caliber of player, so it addresses a long term need at a very important position by adding an unquestioned superstar and allows us to use our other resources elsewhere. If you can think of a pass rusher or LG/C we could trade for that can make the same impact that Ramsey would, then I’m all ears.

That said, I’ve fallen off the Ramsey train a bit, just giving you the very strong reasons as to why the ravens would make the move. It’s not like it’s just being done to try to win this year because jimmy went down, it’s because the future of our secondary looks very bleak

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Well jimmy is likely as good as gone next year, along with Carr. So there’s a reason. It frees us up to draft for things like OL and pass rush. We likely aren’t able to trade for a OL or pass rusher that would be a Ramsey caliber of player, so it addresses a long term need at a very important position by adding an unquestioned superstar and allows us to use our other resources elsewhere. If you can think of a pass rusher or LG/C we could trade for that can make the same impact that Ramsey would, then I’m all ears.

That said, I’ve fallen off the Ramsey train a bit, just giving you the very strong reasons as to why the ravens would make the move. It’s not like it’s just being done to try to win this year because jimmy went down, it’s because the future of our secondary looks very bleak

why would carr be gone - he's cheap and valuable

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

I would keep Carr. He's cheap and worth it and has been extremely reliable even playing out of position for most of the year.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
I like having Carr here but isn’t his contract up? You think he’s gonna get re signed?

He got another team option in 2020 for like 7mil. I think it’s worth it.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Carr will likely be back unless he falls off a cliff in production. He’s cheap and effective enough. Jimmy could be back as well. I wouldn’t could put 22 yet because I think we will let him test FA and could bring him back but it would only be on a team friendly deal. It depends on what the team and player want and whether there’s a market for him.