• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, the Ugly and the Crazy @ Chiefs

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
LMAO! Calling the Chiefs “the greatest downfield passing game ever” is naive and silly. Mahomes and Co. have played a total of 20 games, 20! Historically there are so many prolific passing offenses to consider, especially ones that played in an era when defense was king and PI was akin to aggravated assault.

This is a statement made in the vacuum of today’s rules and game looking at stats without giving consideration to circumstance or situation. I mean the Chiefs passing game is good right now, but “greatest ever”? Not hardly.
Tbh i think theyre on their way. This dude mahommes is insane.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Tbh i think theyre on their way. This dude mahommes is insane.
He’s definitely good and look at the $ and resources they expended surrounding him with weapons. He’s not putting up those numbers by himself. And it’s been at the expense of their defense, it being one of the worst last year.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Chiefs fans on social media have been so cocky this year and last lol. I take solace in knowing that they’ll choke in the playoffs like always.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Chiefs fans on social media have been so cocky this year and last lol. I take solace in knowing that they’ll choke in the playoffs like always.
If lamar was playing at mahommes level, im sure everyone here would also be cocky.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
finally brought myself to watch the defence - did not think id say this but we really miss eric weddle - ET is doing his thing and its limiting what other offences do but Weddle allowed us to attack and confuse and manipulate offences because of how good the communication axis was between him, CJ and the DL

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
finally brought myself to watch the defence - did not think id say this but we really miss eric weddle - ET is doing his thing and its limiting what other offences do but Weddle allowed us to attack and confuse and manipulate offences because of how good the communication axis was between him, CJ and the DL
he also could where the green dot if CJ went down and could be doing it now.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
He’s definitely good and look at the $ and resources they expended surrounding him with weapons. He’s not putting up those numbers by himself. And it’s been at the expense of their defense, it being one of the worst last year.
My two cents. Mahomes is great and part of what makes him great is how well he, along with the entire offense, runs and understands the multiple and complex schemes, motions, shifts, constraints, set ups, etc.
He's a very very good QB but the scheme ( as well as their collective understanding of hat the offense is trying to do) is what is truly special. Reid has everybody buying in. The TE's and WR's block within that scheme as well as remember seeing.
The scheme slows a rush for fear of a stretch outside. The Ravens don't no whether to play Brandon Williams or not, for example (as he offers next to nothing as a rusher) and The chiefs create advantages based on personnel down to the smallest detail.
You just don't know where its coming from or how its coming. They block for screens and perimeter throws right up to and over the edge of the rules for blocking downfield. (can someone clarify rules for a TE or WR blocking downfield for me? As far as it relates to throws behind the line and when the TE is allowed to block?....not are I understand the precise rule of this.

Mahomes is great but the scheme is better. I give him credit, no doubt for running it but put him somewhere else and he's probably a pro bowler....but this premature, "greatest of all time or "one of the all time greats"? Its ridiculous. Find a way to hit this guy consistently and he will look the same as any other QB.

He misses throws. He misses open receivers just like most mortals. I saw it on film last week.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
It's still early in the season so hopefully we can get the communication issues on D sorted out soon. ET isn't the same type of player as Weddle and isn't going to be able to play the chess match like Weddle does, but he'll make up for it with his physical ability.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It's still early in the season so hopefully we can get the communication issues on D sorted out soon. ET isn't the same type of player as Weddle and isn't going to be able to play the chess match like Weddle does, but he'll make up for it with his physical ability.

i think it's underrated just how much weddle did for our D especially in that KC game last year

Tank

Hall of Famer
My two cents. Mahomes is great and part of what makes him great is how well he, along with the entire offense, runs and understands the multiple and complex schemes, motions, shifts, constraints, set ups, etc.
He's a very very good QB but the scheme ( as well as their collective understanding of hat the offense is trying to do) is what is truly special. Reid has everybody buying in. The TE's and WR's block within that scheme as well as remember seeing.
The scheme slows a rush for fear of a stretch outside. The Ravens don't no whether to play Brandon Williams or not, for example (as he offers next to nothing as a rusher) and The chiefs create advantages based on personnel down to the smallest detail.
You just don't know where its coming from or how its coming. They block for screens and perimeter throws right up to and over the edge of the rules for blocking downfield. (can someone clarify rules for a TE or WR blocking downfield for me? As far as it relates to throws behind the line and when the TE is allowed to block?....not are I understand the precise rule of this.

Mahomes is great but the scheme is better. I give him credit, no doubt for running it but put him somewhere else and he's probably a pro bowler....but this premature, "greatest of all time or "one of the all time greats"? Its ridiculous. Find a way to hit this guy consistently and he will look the same as any other QB.

He misses throws. He misses open receivers just like most mortals. I saw it on film last week.
Andy Reid has learned a lot over the years and puts it all to good use.

I think a lot of the blocking down field is illegal by rule but the back judge has to decide timing. One of those things that doesn't get called enough, like in soccer, fouls in the box on corner kicks. lol

Last edited:

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Andy Reid has learned a lot over the years and puts it all to good use.

I think a lot of the blocking down field is illegal by rule but the back judge has to decide timing. One of those things that doesn't get called enough, like in soccer, fouls in the box on corner kicks. lol
Thanks. I'm foggy on it. Looks like there is a fair amount of blocking by their receivers downfield before the ball gets to the receiver...not just incidental contact within five yards which is what its supposed to look like. Im sure Andy is in the officials ear before every game alerting them to the incidental contact within five yards bull.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor

The thing is you have to be polyvalent on defense and we're not. Our scheme last year was outstanding and we forced a lot of quick outs, but we still didn't generate as much turnovers as other teams. Now the communication hasn't settled in yet with all the roster turnover and we're not getting any INT (albeit Carr had one). This is what changes games, instant flip of field position. Brandon Williams and Pierce are an awful combination, this is only going to get exposed with all the smart offensive coordinatiors we're facing this season.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Looking at last year, the Chiefs were 7th in cap allocation to the defense and 17th (behind the Ravens) to the offense.

Currently, the Chiefs rank 20th in cap allocation to offense (and would drop further when you consider Tyreek Hill is suspended for six games.)

Let's not try to create false narratives here.