• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, the Ugly and the Crazy @ Chiefs

My only gripes would be the 2 points when it's a 10 point game and not taking the fg. I can live with the rest. Just ditch that sprint right bullshit. Never liked that call.
This.

I get the analytics telling you that you need to keep the ball away from a high octane offense and get points where you can but when you are trying to make a desperate comeback screw the analytics and do a little basic arithmetic.

Just imagine we stop them and get the ball back at the end with under 2 minutes and instead of just needing to get the ball to the 40 and let your all time great K give you a chance at OT you have no choice but to get a TD to win. Had we gotten that possession and failed on a 4th and long when a FG would have tied I’d have lost my mind.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
This.

I get the analytics telling you that you need to keep the ball away from a high octane offense and get points where you can but when you are trying to make a desperate comeback screw the analytics and do a little basic arithmetic.

Just imagine we stop them and get the ball back at the end with under 2 minutes and instead of just needing to get the ball to the 40 and let your all time great K give you a chance at OT you have no choice but to get a TD to win. Had we gotten that possession and failed on a 4th and long when a FG would have tied I’d have lost my mind.

Not closing it within 10 made no sense. At 9 pts its still a 2 score game.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
The only difference (if you score a TD and a FG) is that in one case you tie a game, in the other - you win.
Yeah that’s the one 2PT attempt I questioned. It didn’t make sense to me at that point because you’re in trouble regardless. The other attempts I was fine with taking that risk just not then.

Reactions: cdp

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Yeah that’s the one 2PT attempt I questioned. It didn’t make sense to me at that point because you’re in trouble regardless. The other attempts I was fine with taking that risk just not then.
My hope is that we won't overdo all this stuff (analytics, roster numbers per position, etc.)

Same here. I don’t mind being aggressive, when it makes sense. This one just didn’t make any sense.

The only difference (if you score a TD and a FG) is that in one case you tie a game, in the other - you win.
I understand this but at that juncture getting a TD and FG is already a tall order. Risking putting yourself in a position to need 2TDs is too much to ask.

But then I also don’t agree when coaches win or lose based on a 2pt try. But I am a man of science so statistically speaking, what are the odds of converting? Is it over 50%? Of course it is all about the team who is going for it and the defense they are facing. 0-4 ... if we plan on continuing this approach we better get s lot better at it.

Corvus Purpura

Practice Squad
I also doubt the analytics they're using take into account that Justin Tucker is the kicker.
The analytics are also taking into account that they might lose in overtime, but getting to overtime would be preferable to losing due to not being able to get that second touchdown while being 4 points down in field goal range. Going for 2 when down by 11 is just being bad at math. And don't get me started on running parallel to the goal line when Gus and Ricard are available to pound forward.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I understand this but at that juncture getting a TD and FG is already a tall order. Risking putting yourself in a position to need 2TDs is too much to ask.

But then I also don’t agree when coaches win or lose based on a 2pt try. But I am a man of science so statistically speaking, what are the odds of converting? Is it over 50%? Of course it is all about the team who is going for it and the defense they are facing. 0-4 ... if we plan on continuing this approach we better get s lot better at it.
What pissed me off was not math behind it but the choice of plays to run on all 3 conversions.
I remember few years ago Saban running 2 fullback play and fullbacks were A'shawn Robinson and Jarran Reed, blocking for Derrick Henry. It just doesn't matter it's so obvious - there is no way to stop that. With Ricard, Pierce, BW and our backs, we'd be close to unstoppable in that situation, too. Just one example.

It sucks losing to KC again, but as bad as we payed the game was still within reach until that last KC first down. If we lose to the Browns at home it will be much worse. Losing division games really sucks. It looks as though the browns are going to be our competition in the division this year, so this will be a big game.

Hopefully we can beat the Browns this week and all will be well. If we don't then next week is going to feel even worse.
It sucks losing to KC again, but as bad as we payed the game was still within reach until that last KC first down. If we lose to the Browns at home it will be much worse. Losing division games really sucks. It looks as though the browns are going to be our competition in the division this year, so this will be a big game.
Yes, losing next week would be INFINITELY worse than this week's loss.

A win puts us in the driver seat for the division and has the potential to put them into in-fighting mode. A loss puts us squarely behind the Browns and puts them in a sense that they are right on track despite a relatively slow start.

This is really as close to a must win September game as I've seen in a long time. For both teams, really.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, losing next week would be INFINITELY worse than this week's loss.

A win puts us in the driver seat for the division and has the potential to put them into in-fighting mode. A loss puts us squarely behind the Browns and puts them in a sense that they are right on track despite a relatively slow start.

This is really as close to a must win September game as I've seen in a long time. For both teams, really.
this would ignite a fire under them and we certainly don't want to jump start their season. If anything we can throw them to the wolves if we win.

Tank

Hall of Famer
LMAO! Calling the Chiefs “the greatest downfield passing game ever” is naive and silly. Mahomes and Co. have played a total of 20 games, 20! Historically there are so many prolific passing offenses to consider, especially ones that played in an era when defense was king and PI was akin to aggravated assault.

This is a statement made in the vacuum of today’s rules and game looking at stats without giving consideration to circumstance or situation. I mean the Chiefs passing game is good right now, but “greatest ever”? Not hardly.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
This.

Thats a lot of ifs