• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, the Ugly and the Crazy @ Chiefs

RavensPunkXVX

Pro Bowler
Weddle also had the luxury of generally playing closer to the LoS where communication is vastly easier.

I think communication was the biggest loss in the offseason. The middle of the field has been atrocious. The back end not any better. You lose two of the best at doing that in Mosley/Weddle. I guess it can at least get better on that front. Sometimes they just seem lost. Is Kenny the mic linebacker?

Tank

Hall of Famer
Looking at last year, the Chiefs were 7th in cap allocation to the defense and 17th (behind the Ravens) to the offense.

Currently, the Chiefs rank 20th in cap allocation to offense (and would drop further when you consider Tyreek Hill is suspended for six games.)

Let's not try to create false narratives here.

I think the false narrative is using cap allocation as a measure of resources and talent level of a squad. There's a ton of factors that skew cap allocation, dead money, rookie contracts , bad contracts, injuries, etc., etc., etc..

I have a good friend in KC who is a Chiefs season ticket holder that I talk football with occasionally . Since they drafted Pat and up until this last off season he constantly mentioned how they were loading up and putting all their eggs in the O basket to support him. He worried that they were ignoring their D and that it would come back to bite them. This spring he did say that last off season they made some moves to help and it seems that has reflected in an improved defensive performance so far this year.

Last edited:

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I think communication was the biggest loss in the offseason. The middle of the field has been atrocious. The back end not any better. You lose two of the best at doing that in Mosley/Weddle. I guess it can at least get better on that front. Sometimes they just seem lost. Is Kenny the mic linebacker?
Yeah, Mosley might have been much maligned, same for Weddle, but they really knew how to set the other players up for success.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
The Chiefs

Yeah, they lost a couple of their pass rushers, but Chris Jones is still a beast and the Mathieu addition seems to be helping their secondary. The big question for them is whether it will be enough to beat the Pats this time should they meet in the playoffs again.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I think the false narrative is using cap allocation as a measure of resources and talent level of a squad. There's a ton of factors that skew cap allocation, dead money, rookie contracts , bad contracts, injuries, etc., etc., etc..

I have a good friend in KC who is a Chiefs season ticket holder that I talk football with occasionally . Since they drafted Pat and up until this last off season he constantly mentioned how they were loading up and putting all their eggs in the O basket to support him. He worried that they were ignoring their D and that it would come back to bite them. This spring he did say that last off season they made some moves to help and it seems that has reflected in an improved defensive performance so far this year.
Dead money won't factor into offensive or defensive cap spending.

I have zero idea why your friend would think that because the year after drafting Mahomes, the entire draft was literally defensive players and the most notable move the Chiefs made in 2018 was trading for Kendall Fuller. Of course, they were super active in free agency defensively and active with trades this year, but the offense has been largely cheap, inexpensive cast offs and players the Chiefs have developed as later round picks.

Consider that the Chiefs have Hill (fifth round pick), Demarcus Robinson (fourth round pick), Austin Wylie (former UDFA and PS player), Austin Reiter (7th round pick, started 1 game before tearing his ACL and never starting again prior to the Chiefs), RG (I'm not going to try to spell his name, sixth round pick), Kelce (third round pick). Yes, the Chiefs do have some high picked players/pricey free agents in the form of Watkins, Hardman, Fisher, Schwartz, and obviously Mahomes himself, but this is largely the Chiefs being really good at developing no names and players other teams didn't want. If the Ravens were starting the Chiefs offensive supporting cast, Ravens fans would lose their mind at Ozzie for not spending high enough draft picks on the offense and neglecting the offense.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Yeah, they lost a couple of their pass rushers, but Chris Jones is still a beast and the Mathieu addition seems to be helping their secondary. The big question for them is whether it will be enough to beat the Pats this time should they meet in the playoffs again.
The Ogbah trade is also looking like a huge one for them (at least, it appeared that way Sunday) and Clark is really helping them not miss a beat without Ford.

I was actually reading something about how the Chiefs defense last year was actually really good at home, but for whatever reason, significantly worse (like, allow double the points worse) on the road. So, they were a defense that had its moment for half the season. Take that core and just add some pieces to it and you have a recipe for a really good defense.

Will it be enough for the Patriots? I'd like to hope so with how that pass rush is shaping up. If Ogbah can keep this up, Ogbah and Clark on the outside and Jones not allowing Brady to step up on the inside could be huge.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
finally brought myself to watch the defence - did not think id say this but we really miss eric weddle - ET is doing his thing and its limiting what other offences do but Weddle allowed us to attack and confuse and manipulate offences because of how good the communication axis was between him, CJ and the DL
To be fair, this is a year 1 for Thomas and he's doing it without the luxury of having CJ and Suggs in there or have a full strength secondary around him. Took a while for Weddle to settle in on that front, too.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
To be fair, this is a year 1 for Thomas and he's doing it without the luxury of having CJ and Suggs in there or have a full strength secondary around him. Took a while for Weddle to settle in on that front, too.

absolutely - was not a criticism of thomas, more of an appreciation of weddle

and honestly thomas has played mostly pretty well - teams are avoiding throwing in his direction a lot

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
The Ogbah trade is also looking like a huge one for them (at least, it appeared that way Sunday) and Clark is really helping them not miss a beat without Ford.

I was actually reading something about how the Chiefs defense last year was actually really good at home, but for whatever reason, significantly worse (like, allow double the points worse) on the road. So, they were a defense that had its moment for half the season. Take that core and just add some pieces to it and you have a recipe for a really good defense.

Will it be enough for the Patriots? I'd like to hope so with how that pass rush is shaping up. If Ogbah can keep this up, Ogbah and Clark on the outside and Jones not allowing Brady to step up on the inside could be huge.

Totally forgot about Ogbah; he was balling on Sunday and disrupting a lot of plays.

I just hope we get another shot at them. Their defense might be improved from last year, but we left too many plays out there and killed ourselves with mistakes and penalties (some of them were bad calls, but still).

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Totally forgot about Ogbah; he was balling on Sunday and disrupting a lot of plays.

I just hope we get another shot at them. Their defense might be improved from last year, but we left too many plays out there and killed ourselves with mistakes and penalties (some of them were bad calls, but still).
I think I read that he had 9 pressures on top of however many sacks/quarterback hits he had. NINE. The Chiefs were dominating the LoS.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Thanks. I'm foggy on it. Looks like there is a fair amount of blocking by their receivers downfield before the ball gets to the receiver...not just incidental contact within five yards which is what its supposed to look like. Im sure Andy is in the officials ear before every game alerting them to the incidental contact within five yards bull.
yep, I've heard of teams having issues with this with the Chiefs in the past.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
no, Peanut is the Mic

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
My two cents. Mahomes is great and part of what makes him great is how well he, along with the entire offense, runs and understands the multiple and complex schemes, motions, shifts, constraints, set ups, etc.
He's a very very good QB but the scheme ( as well as their collective understanding of hat the offense is trying to do) is what is truly special. Reid has everybody buying in. The TE's and WR's block within that scheme as well as remember seeing.
The scheme slows a rush for fear of a stretch outside. The Ravens don't no whether to play Brandon Williams or not, for example (as he offers next to nothing as a rusher) and The chiefs create advantages based on personnel down to the smallest detail.
You just don't know where its coming from or how its coming. They block for screens and perimeter throws right up to and over the edge of the rules for blocking downfield. (can someone clarify rules for a TE or WR blocking downfield for me? As far as it relates to throws behind the line and when the TE is allowed to block?....not are I understand the precise rule of this.

Mahomes is great but the scheme is better. I give him credit, no doubt for running it but put him somewhere else and he's probably a pro bowler....but this premature, "greatest of all time or "one of the all time greats"? Its ridiculous. Find a way to hit this guy consistently and he will look the same as any other QB.

He misses throws. He misses open receivers just like most mortals. I saw it on film last week.
i would say scheme too,but he is looking just how he looked in college.. its not like pats system where literally the wr is open 90% of time.. pat is out there making plays and really throwing these guys open. Id trust pat in another system before i trust a patriot qb

Last edited: