• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Update: Welcome to B-More, Jeremy Maclin!

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Can we get some Maclin news plzzzzz. Something is better than nothing!

ZonaRaven

Practice Squad
I like to think that no news at this point is good news. I like to think it means we're sinking our teeth into him and getting the deal closed.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I personally strongly disagree with the opinion that our OL is improved. With regards to Jensen, I wrote up a lengthy breakdown on BR during the season that detailed his struggles. He was notably better in the passing game, but he was arguably one of our worst linemen in the running game last season. Even in possibly his best game of the season, he struggled as in head-up situations. To his credit, he was three for free on intended second level assignments (Link1, Link2, Link3), and he was also successful when cutting (Link1, Link2). That being said, he routinely lost leverage battles otherwise, mostly against Jonathan Hankins, showing minimal pop and compounding it with shoddy footwork and balance (Link1, Link2, Link3, Link4). He wasn't completely without his success (Link1, Link2), but this was likely even more-so evident in other games, i.e. against Oakland (Link1, Link2, Link3), and New York (J) (Link1, Link2). His troubles with staying square came in large part due to coming out of his stance high and hop-stepping after engaging, which can be a death sentence since you can't drive through a target when your legs are constantly changing directions. With Jensen, there were several plays such as this one (Link), when his lower body changes angles by up to 180°, and you become worried about his understanding of proper balance. It wasn't a major surprise to see him grade out as poorly in the running game with a 50.6, which was 77th among all guards. Zuttah became a common scapegoat for the OL struggles, but while his top-heavy and grabby play style obviously wasn't without holes, he was markedly better than Jensen last season, so it's tough to subscribe to the notion that Jensen will most definitely be better in comparison. This obviously isn't impossible. If he can iron out the pitfalls in technique, he could very well be a solid center. He's had his highlights, like the strong finish to 2015. However, it remains to be seen whether he'll be the long-term answer. Given that Jensen was part of the team last season, it's immensely difficult for me to subscribe to the notion that our OL improved over last year's with both Wagner and Zuttah no longer on the roster. Truth be told, I feel that it's arguably our most questionable unit at this time.
Not to sound anything like Winchester, but he looks to be much bigger than he was last season and he has looked good in OTA's, yes I understand everyone looks good in shorts, but it's all I have to go by.

I would agree if Jensen came in at the same weight he was last season than we would be in trouble, but he's 322 lbs this season, much closer the the 320 or so he weighed in 2015. I do agree with everything that you are saying, though. Still feel the OL will be better this season due Jensen's weight and a better scheme fit. At least the run blocking.

Last edited:

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think the OL will slightly improve as a run blocking unit but regress in pass pro. The RT situation is scary for sure, but if any position was gonna have a hole I'd hope RT is the one, it's the easiest hole to avoid on the OL

JAAM

Hall of Famer

JAAM

Hall of Famer

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think the OL will slightly improve as a run blocking unit but regress in pass pro. The RT situation is scary for sure, but if any position was gonna have a hole I'd hope RT is the one, it's the easiest hole to avoid on the OL
I would tend to agree with this statement, but if we are focused on becoming more of a running team, then it's the run blocking that has to improve. Improve the running game and play action and the entire offense will improve.