• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Update: Welcome to B-More, Jeremy Maclin!

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I'm sure we can sign him if we want to sign him. An extension on Wallace is one way we can do it, or restructuring someone else like Weddle or something. You can even give him a multi year deal. It depends on if he and the Ravens want him here badly enough
We'd have to cut Watson, Arrington, and then do that to sign him. Frankly, we should get Jimmy and Flacco to restructure for next year as well.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
We'd have to cut Watson, Arrington, and then do that to sign him. Frankly, we should get Jimmy and Flacco to restructure for next year as well.
firsr, Flaccos contract is pretty even throughought. This yr and next year it is 24.5 with thr difference being the salary. It would be a mistake to restructure this and put more into other years.

Watson in the end may be cut but it's not definite. First if we lose Maxx or Gilmore for the season we will be sorry we cut him. We should do our do diligence and see how he is performing during training camp.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
firsr, Flaccos contract is pretty even throughought. This yr and next year it is 24.5 with thr difference being the salary. It would be a mistake to restructure this and put more into other years.

Watson in the end may be cut but it's not definite. First if we lose Maxx or Gilmore for the season we will be sorry we cut him. We should do our do diligence and see how he is performing during training camp.
We also have Boyle and Waller, and since Boyle is not getting the reps at FB in OTAs that might suggest to me that we are considering him to be another TE. Especially since Gilmore is injury prone as they come. Waller I think we keep at TE anyway.

I'd get rid of Watson still. We have depth at TE. It's unproven depth, but we need to let it develop.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor

Why do we have to do any of those things? I mean the Ravens are clearly going to cut Arrington but that cap savings aside why could they not just put most of the cap hit in the not 1st year of the deal. You can structure it so the bulk of say a 4 year deal is in years 2-4 so that you can afford him despite basically being out of room right now.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Why do we have to do any of those things? I mean the Ravens are clearly going to cut Arrington but that cap savings aside why could they not just put most of the cap hit in the not 1st year of the deal. You can structure it so the bulk of say a 4 year deal is in years 2-4 so that you can afford him despite basically being out of room right now.
You could but I highly doubt that happens, he probably wants all of his money up front. It's a shame because I think because Marty is here he'd highly consider us.

jboy19

Pro Bowler

If Pitta Retires that opens up 5mil, I'm not sure what happens on that front though- it would be better than cutting Watson, which only opens up 3mil. If that 5mil becomes available, you could cut Arrington and open up another 2 and then could cut Campanaro and open another 1.5. I would think that would be enough to bring in Maclin, but with the insane cap space of teams like the 49ers and Raiders, who would also be good fits for Maclin, they could easily drive the price out of the Ravens's range.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i would love to see the fo be aggressive in signing maclin but there are plenty of teams with needs at wr and more cap space.
maclin has been bordering on success his whole career, playing on fringe teams. maybe he thinks hes a missing piece to a real shot at contention on the ravens? thats a distinct advantage we have over teams like the browns and niners.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
maclin has been bordering on success his whole career, playing on fringe teams. maybe he thinks hes a missing piece to a real shot at contention on the ravens? thats a distinct advantage we have over teams like the browns and niners.
With this piece of shit oline we are in no condition to contend. Especially since Harbaugh has decided to go full *derp* and start Alex Lewis at LG again, and freaking Hurst at RT.

We're closer than those two other teams, but still.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
With this piece of shit oline we are in no condition to contend. Especially since Harbaugh has decided to go full *derp* and start Alex Lewis at LG again, and freaking Hurst at RT.

We're closer than those two other teams, but still.
we dont necessarily have to be ready for a SB this year, and he sees a long term possibility, like if i sign a 4 year contract i could have 2-3 legitimate shots at a super bowl. it played a part in weddle and jeffersons decisions to sign here.

not only that, our OTA starting lineup across all positions almost always consists of majority veterans and it often changes by week 4 of the preseason. im not surprised in the least that lewis is currently the starter at LG because harbaugh almost never slides a rookie(siragusa) right into a starting spot, especially a day 3 rookie. its very possible that our starting lineup has nico at LG and lewis at RT

The Greek

Veteran
that is true. i hope the fo can sell him on that but the price has to work for us. i am actually curious to find out if we even have interest in him

I recall hearing Oz say that our roster will not look the same as it did post-draft. I also recall hearing Harbs say how we are going to be bigger and stronger on the offensive line and are going to build the best O line in the league.

The draft was over a month ago and the roster hasn't moved (aside from the usual OTA casualties ... I don't think that's what Oz was referring to). The net loss/gain on the o line was losing Wagner and Zuttah and adding 2 rookie 4th and 5th round draft picks.

GIven we have less cap space than 28 other teams in the league, I'm having a hard time seeing how these proclamations will be fulfilled. Likewise, I'm have a hard time seeing us bringing in Maclin.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I recall hearing Oz say that our roster will not look the same as it did post-draft. I also recall hearing Harbs say how we are going to be bigger and stronger on the offensive line and are going to build the best O line in the league.

The draft was over a month ago and the roster hasn't moved (aside from the usual OTA casualties ... I don't think that's what Oz was referring to). The net loss/gain on the o line was losing Wagner and Zuttah and adding 2 rookie 4th and 5th round draft picks.

GIven we have less cap space than 28 other teams in the league, I'm having a hard time seeing how these proclamations will be fulfilled. Likewise, I'm have a hard time seeing us bringing in Maclin.
Yeah, truth be told this is why I am fuming with Ozzie. He did next to nothing to improve the offensive line, and we are relying on too many "what ifs". Which honestly, I like Maxx and Perriman more than most on here, but those two being awesome isn't going to mean shit if the line sucks and we cannot establish a running game. And then when we do have the opportunity to pick up some more offensive linemen(like Warford), we shit the bed and sign a player who plays 60% of the snaps to a mega-deal. This offseason has basically been Ozzie loading up on defense and giving the finger to the offense.

I don't think Ozzie realizes that Flacco isn't superman. He needs a decent offensive line to be good. There are guys I like, but they will inevitably be misused(Lewis will likely start at guard) and honestly I've had it up to here with him.

I want Maclin. Doubt we sign him. Then again we stole Tony Jefferson from the Browns so if we could pull this off too(I think they're the main competition. I doubt Maclin wants to play in the same division as Tom Brady. And the niners with their joke of a roster couldn't sway me regardless of how much money they have). So who knows? I still want us to release Watson and Arrington to make room for him, and possibly King Dunlap since Harbaugh seems so damn content with having Lewis at Guard.

usmccharles

Practice Squad

even
Cinsidering the lack of cap space, we were obviously waiting for veteran cuts. This is the first significant one so let's give it some time.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Because of course the Browns would.

I just hope he would value potentially winning more.

I'm hoping that at the very least we tried.
But here's the thing-

If Maclin is going to be looking at wins, the Ravens have been pretty piss poor lately and the Browns are building up loads of talent. Offensively, if they land Maclin, they're Kizer developing away from a dynamite offense. Defensively, they're a secondary away from being one of the best in the league.

If he's looking at the Browns and Ravens and thinking 2, 3 years down the road, I'd bank on the Browns because they routinely have the cap space to allure FA's and they have so much talent from high picks that at some point, it will click.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
But here's the thing-

If Maclin is going to be looking at wins, the Ravens have been pretty piss poor lately and the Browns are building up loads of talent. Offensively, if they land Maclin, they're Kizer developing away from a dynamite offense. Defensively, they're a secondary away from being one of the best in the league.

If he's looking at the Browns and Ravens and thinking 2, 3 years down the road, I'd bank on the Browns because they routinely have the cap space to allure FA's and they have so much talent from high picks that at some point, it will click.
The Browns come with a lot of ifs though. Then again, if they do suck this year they'll be in position to draft Darnold and then yes that makes a load of sense. But why pick the Browns over say the Patriots who also have the money to go get him if he wanted a super bowl RIGHT AWAY?

But we're not exacatly in a bad position either. I think if Ozzie actually decides to build a goddamn offensive line, and he comes here, we're one of the better teams in the league given the botox injection we just gave to the defense.

Side note: Doesn't this seem to be the story with the browns every few years? They draft a few promising defensive players, put together a solid line, somehow find good skill position players as weapons, and yet they still fuck it up because that city seems to be cursed? It's gotten to the point where I actually feel sorry for them. They were supposed to be a promising team years ago too, yet they (for some reason) continue to shoot themselves in the foot. I actually think that the Browns are cursed somewhat.

Again. I actually don't disagree, but I think the Patriots should be his first choice over Cleveland.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
You could but I highly doubt that happens, he probably wants all of his money up front. It's a shame because I think because Marty is here he'd highly consider us.

The cap hit does not reflect when he gets paid. Joe is only getting paid 6m this year with a 24m cap hit. As long as you make it a bonus and spread it out everyone wins.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lets say you were Maclin, would the idea of playing in this offense sound particularly enticing?

You have a FAR better QB then you had in KC with a skillset more tailored to fit you, solid options at the positions to make sure tgey cant just double you all day. Ya I would want in this offense if im a number 1 WR and Maclin is.