• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Bad, The Ugly, and the Pathetic

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Is it me or is Justice Hill am absolute liability in pass protection? Also he is playing poorly as rusher and very poorly as a returner. Hill, Hurst, Bozeman, and Boykin all need to improve. Not a ton, but they all need to take one step forward. I believe some of them do as the season progresses. The defense though, well I don't even know what to say. Marlon is fantastic, literally anyone else can go. I'm not attached to a single other player. Sad honestly

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
For those that don't read FilmStudy's weekly breakdown's of both the defense and the Oline, the defensive breakdown is out for week 4. Naturally, its ugly...
https://www.filmstudyravens.com/blog/defensive-notes-vs-browns-092919

Here's the notes section, which summarizes the key problems:
Notes:

· The Ravens pass rush did not get the job done on these plays with only 1 pressure on a screen pass, plus another on a blitz from Clark. Mayfield had been ineffective throwing under pressure in Cleveland’s first 3 games, but he did not have to work hard to find space, even when moved. After Bowser’s sack on the Browns 3rd offensive play, he was not knocked down again.

· There were busted coverages aplenty. Enough said.

· The ILBs were again beaten badly in coverage. In fact, they were targeted both with crossing routes in level 2 and in the space between levels 2 and 3. The league is now aware of the coverage skills of Onwuasor, Young, and Board.

· Angles to the play were even worse than tackling, which was quite bad.

· The Ravens don’t diagnose screens like they used to. The team needs their outside linebackers to sniff these out.

· The Browns big run plays were well-blocked and often used right-handed power concepts, but they also got excellent back-side contributions from LT Greg Robinson. The Browns had too easy a time using TEs to block either OLBs or defensive linemen to lead run plays.

· The defensive holding call on Marlon Humphrey was the only truly costly penalty of the day called on the Ravens.
Once we lost suggs i knew screen plays would be a problem

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Is it me or is Justice Hill am absolute liability in pass protection? Also he is playing poorly as rusher and very poorly as a returner. Hill, Hurst, Bozeman, and Boykin all need to improve. Not a ton, but they all need to take one step forward. I believe some of them do as the season progresses. The defense though, well I don't even know what to say. Marlon is fantastic, literally anyone else can go. I'm not attached to a single other player. Sad honestly

I feel the same way about this defense.....

Hopefully TJ and Earl turn it around and start balling out. They need to be the leaders of this defense. Judon can also go. We need a complete overhaul of the front 7

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
The only way the defense can make up for this disaster vs Cleveland is by shutting out the Squeelers at home. Anything less than that is unacceptible

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

Yes he was a big time liability but it seems to be more fun to blame Skura.

RavensPunkXVX

Pro Bowler
I bit the bullet and listened to my normal football podcast and had to hear how great the Browns are.

am I the only one that thought they didn’t look that great? They didn’t play a good ravens team on Sunday. Baker still held onto the ball far too long and our defense couldn’t tackle at all.

I guess it’s nice for people to jump back on Cleveland only for them to let people down again. Their schedule is a cake walk later in the year which is concerning for us, but a tough slate the next few weeks.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
I bit the bullet and listened to my normal football podcast and had to hear how great the Browns are.

am I the only one that thought they didn’t look that great? They didn’t play a good ravens team on Sunday. Baker still held onto the ball far too long and our defense couldn’t tackle at all.

I guess it’s nice for people to jump back on Cleveland only for them to let people down again. Their schedule is a cake walk later in the year which is concerning for us, but a tough slate the next few weeks.
Thats what im saying. I think we played like shit more than they looked good. Ehuch is why i still think its our division to lose. I still have hope for this team. We kinda needed a humbling ass whooping tbh. Hopefully it wakes us up

RavensPunkXVX

Pro Bowler
Thats what im saying. I think we played like shit more than they looked good. Ehuch is why i still think its our division to lose. I still have hope for this team. We kinda needed a humbling ass whooping tbh. Hopefully it wakes us up

Well, I just want to be documented in saying that if we don’t go into Pittsburgh and win, then I believe we’re done. I don’t mind to eat crow if we lose and still somehow make it into the playoffs.

but if they play like they did Sunday, they lose another ugly one in Pittsburgh.

Tank

Hall of Famer
It does seem Hill’s pass blocking is less than good. Really not enough of a sample size to judge his running ability I think. Give his reps to Gus and get the yards!

We really do need to have everyone not named Stanley or Yanda on the O line step it up or it’s all just playing for fun.

Defense is a mish mash of guys that are good, but most not great. The problem is there’s no leaders, no cohesiveness. ET needs to get his shit together, if he can. Not sure he is the D leader/QB type. Don’t know.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

I think they have a pretty damn good defense, and that's what a lot of people aren't talking about. One of the better pass rush units in the league, linebackers are pretty good in coverage, and when they're healthy, their secondary is well above average (and young). Ravens ran the ball well, but we didn't do much on the scoreboard until much later in the game when the Browns had double digit leads.

Offensively they look pretty average to me. I don't think this past week was really their "coming out party" offensively.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Why is Kitchens still crying about Marlon?
guess he isn't paying attention to what really happened. We need to put that team back in their place at the end of the season. Hopefully we fix "most" of the issues by the last game of the season.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
guess he isn't paying attention to what really happened. We need to put that team back in their place at the end of the season. Hopefully we fix "most" of the issues by the last game of the season.

you do realize they'll have Ward, Williams, Burnett, Calloway, HIggins and Njoku back?

they are lightyears ahead of us talent wise.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
you do realize they'll have Ward, Williams, Burnett, Calloway, HIggins and Njoku back?

I don't give a shit and I would agree they are ahead of us in talent, but we will play a better game as well. Can't do worse

rossihunter2

Staff Member

If we’d beaten them on Sunday they could legitimately have lost 4 in a row to end up 1-5

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

On a weekly basis in this league, at least 2-3 less talented teams beat more talented teams.
It's called the NFL.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
post browns offensive and defensive stats + standings per Hensley on twitter:

A quarter of the way into the season, here is where the Ravens rank:

OFFENSE
Yards per game: 1st (482.5)
Rushing: 1st (205.8)
Passing: 6th (276.8)
Scoring: 1st (33.7)

DEFENSE
Yards per game: 27th (395.5)