• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Bad, The Ugly, and the Pathetic

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
he's not going to hit free agency

Great of you to jump on the bandwagon after he becomes a stud. You never want to play the forum mock. Chris Jones was my pick in the Forum Mock and he is a stud, but to think he hits free agency is crazy.

I wanted chris jones in the 2nd round. LIKE A LOT OF PEOPLE DID..no bandwagon shit here.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I wanted chris jones in the 2nd round. LIKE A LOT OF PEOPLE DID..no bandwagon shit here.
that's where I took him. Next year play the Mock draft and you can draft the players you would like and learn how to manage a team. Put your money where your mouth is...

rossihunter2

Staff Member
We spend 32% of the cap on secondary players (ranked 1st) and we're ranked 29th in pass defense. lmao! Our pass rush is questionable, but that's inexcusable. Harbaugh said Defense is overplaying zone coverages. Doesn’t think it’s a matter of defense being complicated. Thinks guys are overplaying coverages rather then just doing their jobs.
We're paying guys top dollars who can't even do their jobs.

2 of the 4 guys with high value contracts (so excluding marlon and brandon...) are injured

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
For those that don't read FilmStudy's weekly breakdown's of both the defense and the Oline, the defensive breakdown is out for week 4. Naturally, its ugly...
https://www.filmstudyravens.com/blog/defensive-notes-vs-browns-092919

Here's the notes section, which summarizes the key problems:
Notes:

· The Ravens pass rush did not get the job done on these plays with only 1 pressure on a screen pass, plus another on a blitz from Clark. Mayfield had been ineffective throwing under pressure in Cleveland’s first 3 games, but he did not have to work hard to find space, even when moved. After Bowser’s sack on the Browns 3rd offensive play, he was not knocked down again.

· There were busted coverages aplenty. Enough said.

· The ILBs were again beaten badly in coverage. In fact, they were targeted both with crossing routes in level 2 and in the space between levels 2 and 3. The league is now aware of the coverage skills of Onwuasor, Young, and Board.

· Angles to the play were even worse than tackling, which was quite bad.

· The Ravens don’t diagnose screens like they used to. The team needs their outside linebackers to sniff these out.

· The Browns big run plays were well-blocked and often used right-handed power concepts, but they also got excellent back-side contributions from LT Greg Robinson. The Browns had too easy a time using TEs to block either OLBs or defensive linemen to lead run plays.

· The defensive holding call on Marlon Humphrey was the only truly costly penalty of the day called on the Ravens.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
if im honest i think marlon's just covering for the rest of the defensive guys (covering for them off the field better than they did on the field)
that wouldn't surprise me. Trying to save Tony from further critique. I would be surprised if that was the call for him to cover the seam of 2 and for tony to read 1 to the flat. I'm not sure I've seen that.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
We should switch to a new scheme where we eliminate the ILB position and just play DBs & DL then pray.

That's a joke in case you can't tell.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
The Browns have one of the nastiest fronts in football, so I put the Oline issues on par with playing great talent across from them. The Oline has been competent enough to not make Lamar that uncomfortable for most of the time this season, and obviously, they're doing their job in the run game.
Pass rush is a huge concern that we largely can't do anything about.
IF I were making personnel changes, I'd be looking at playing Jefferson less, and I'd be looking at getting even more Dime packages (we already play this a lot) with better coverage guys. I want to see the snap counts from this game, but I want to see more of like Clark/Elliott, and less of guys like Kenny Young or Chris Board. Even less of Onwausor wouldn't be a bad thing at this point. They're all liabilities in pass coverage.
Yeah, Browns have a tough DL. No doubt about that, and KC has a tough one too w/ Jones. That said, the interior OL is getting manhandled at times mainly on passing situations. I think we're good on the ground running the ball but throwing it is a different story. I'm not sure how to even solve that problem at this point because I don't see a solution unless Powers or Mekari somehow can step up and take it from Bozeman. I think he's a big part of the issue.

We've been saying all year the oline would get exposed, Skura has had his 3rd trash game in a row against good competition, him and Bozeman anchor like theyre on roller skates. LG has been a problem for years and the front office ignores it, next year when Yanda retires the entire interior is going to be trash.
Skura is fine if you can mask him with a LG. He can hold his own but he can't mask a LG who is bad so you have a double weakness at that interior spot. It's only affecting us on passing situations but it affects us big time.

I think Skura has been generally fine. I think he's average, and you're paying him far less than what you would have to pay somebody to be average.
FilmStudy does great breakdowns of Oline play and defense.
https://www.filmstudyravens.com/

Obviously don't have week 4 grades, but through 3 weeks, he gave Skura pretty average marks. Obviously LG is an issue, but if you have two tackles who have played well, an average center, and an All-World RG, your offensive line really should be considered pretty damn good. And generally, I think its been fine.

My issue with fans is that I was told that the reason you move from Flacco to Lamar is because Lamar can move in and around the pocket well enough that you don't have to invest in 5 stud lineman to make him successful. So was that not true, or what has changed?

I'm in no way a believer that one bad position on the Oline derails the whole group. Will be interesting to see what week 4 prognosis looks like from people who evaluate this stuff better than I can.
I don't think Skura is garbage but he's not great. He is average and that would be fine if we had a LG next to him that was above average. I think we can win with them but it will need to be schemed to fix because we cannot defeat competent DL with those guys at the interior.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Felt on Sunday we switched to that already, you didn't notice?
I only remember 4 CBs on the field in Carr, Humphrey, Thomas & Canady. I don't even think we played a DL Sunday, did we? We sure didn't get any pass rush or anything.

Truth is Wink cannot scheme around the lack of talent at Edge. We all knew this was a weakness but losing secondary players hit us hard and made it hard to mask. You can't lose Smith & Young and not have a Suggs-level player on the edge to defend the screen & run then get to the QB. We're blitzing to scheme pressure but we aren't winning because they are expoiting the weakness left by our LBs and vacated DBs or Jefferson in coverage.

BTW, Wormley looks horrible from what I remembered. He got little push IIRC.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I only remember 4 CBs on the field in Carr, Humphrey, Thomas & Canady. I don't even think we played a DL Sunday, did we? We sure didn't get any pass rush or anything.

Truth is Wink cannot scheme around the lack of talent at Edge. We all knew this was a weakness but losing secondary players hit us hard and made it hard to mask. You can't lose Smith & Young and not have a Suggs-level player on the edge to defend the screen & run then get to the QB. We're blitzing to scheme pressure but we aren't winning because they are expoiting the weakness left by our LBs and vacated DBs or Jefferson in coverage.

BTW, Wormley looks horrible from what I remembered. He got little push IIRC.
D line was Pierce and Wormley
Pierce is out of shape and Wormley is terrible. It's not easy to play LB behind them.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
AVG yards Rudolph has been throwing is 2.1 yards. It's working for him, but sheesh.