• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Bad, The Ugly, and the Pathetic

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Kenny Young was a culprit of not playing his zone on that Browns TD to Seals Jones. He played that very poorly. I think Harbs and Wink were actually right and our problem is that we're not taking poor angles, and overplaying coverage as you said.
Well, there is both. Look at the breakdown of Nick Chubb's TD run...
https://twitter.com/NextGenStats/status/1178395198075703297

1. Tony Jefferson badly botched his pursuit.
2. The angles that Kenny Young and Earl Thomas took in pursuit on this play were horrible.
3. Onwausor and Bowser both over-pursued and were blocked pretty easily by a couple of lineman who pulled all the way across the LOS.

Well, there is both. Look at the breakdown of Nick Chubb's TD run...
https://twitter.com/NextGenStats/status/1178395198075703297

1. Tony Jefferson badly botched his pursuit.
2. The angles that Kenny Young and Earl Thomas took in pursuit on this play were horrible.
3. Onwausor and Bowser both over-pursued and were blocked pretty easily by a couple of lineman who pulled all the way across the LOS.

Yeah peanut, bowser and Jefferson all over pursued the play. The guard and center pulled wide and Chubb cut it it inside. Made all 3 of them look bad on that one.

Filmstudy

Staff Member
Filmstudy
Writer
So I largely agree with this take, BUT, this is gameplan specific to me.
AND, I'm not sure how well this works with Williams out. Quarters means you've basically got 7 DBs on the field. That's effective against a pass heavy team, but do we really think taking Onwausor off the field in favor of like Levine or even Clark/Elliott is going to help us defend the run without Williams?
I personally don't. If I were an OC, and I see you in quarters coverage to start a drive, I'm pounding Chubb over and over and over again, and probably in a no-huddle scheme. And I think I'd be pretty effective doing it.
If you have Williams, or are doing a better job stopping the run with 4-5 guys, I think this can work and work effectively. But there's a reason why a lot of teams won't play any more than 6 DBs, even in a pass heavy league.

I will praise Wink over Pees for one very important thing to me... Pees would never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, play anything more than Nickel coverages. He despised the the idea of having 6 DBs out there. Even in those infamous Pees games with the "prevent" defense, he still was out there with like 2-3 LBs on the field. It was comical. Most teams in this league basically have a "base" Nickel or Dime coverage (exactly what we do this year), and Pees would never do it. I believe the last year Pees was here, FilmStudy had him at like 10 Dime snaps the entire season. We play like 20-30 a week now, and I think we're better off for it (even if it doesn't show all the time).

Just imagine how bad this team would look on defense if we had Pees forcing us exclusively play Onwausor and Young/Board in coverage, regardless of game flow or success. You wouldn't even see somebody like Clark/Elliott or Levine on the field.

Good post, so not knocking the general thought, cause Pees was anti-dime to be sure, but he called 28.3% dime in his final season as DC (2017). In his 5 seasons prior, it was 3% dime.

With regard to the quarter defense, it wouldn't be used on anything but obvious passing situations (3rd and long, end of half, Q4 with big lead). As such, the availability of the quarter, or dime for that matter, doesn't completely fix ILB coverage problems, as I think you are suggesting.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Good post, so not knocking the general thought, cause Pees was anti-dime to be sure, but he called 28.3% dime in his final season as DC (2017). In his 5 seasons prior, it was 3% dime.

With regard to the quarter defense, it wouldn't be used on anything but obvious passing situations (3rd and long, end of half, Q4 with big lead). As such, the availability of the quarter, or dime for that matter, doesn't completely fix ILB coverage problems, as I think you are suggesting.
do you think it's fixable this season and if so, how would you do it?

Filmstudy

Staff Member
Filmstudy
Writer
do you think it's fixable this season and if so, how would you do it?

They have now made 4 moves in a week to try to fix it. Specifically:

1. Jefferson has the green dot, which allows for the quarter and substitution for Peanut.
2. Acquired ort
3. Acquired Bynes--These 2 moves may signal a move back to WLB for Onwuasor.
4. Play Elliott in nontraditional down/distance snaps at dime. He could be used as the quarter or more snaps at dime.

The effort to fix is there. I'm fascinated to see how far they go with lineup changes over the next 2 weeks.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
They have now made 4 moves in a week to try to fix it. Specifically:

1. Jefferson has the green dot, which allows for the quarter and substitution for Peanut.
2. Acquired ort
3. Acquired Bynes--These 2 moves may signal a move back to WLB for Onwuasor.
4. Play Elliott in nontraditional down/distance snaps at dime. He could be used as the quarter or more snaps at dime.

The effort to fix is there. I'm fascinated to see how far they go with lineup changes over the next 2 weeks.

id absolutely love to see Elliott on the field more
the situation at LB feels so incredibly alien as a ravens fan right now though - we had 1 season without a LB in 2013 between Ray retiring and drafting CJ but Daryl Smith filled in to that spot - the off-ball LB corps for the ravens has never been this devoid of leadership and talent

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

Thanks for the info. I had remembered a few of your articles from prior years about how you were disappointed the Ravens didn't run more Dime, but I couldn't which seasons it pertained to.