• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Bad, The Ugly, and the Pathetic

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I gotta say. I'm still pretty hyped about this team. Even if our defense is middle of the road quality our offense under Lamar is fun as hell to watch.

Gonna be a lot of back and forth battles, and if our defense does play well we must likely win unless Lamar has a bad game. Which he did vs the Chiefs and we only lost by 5 so....

All our defense has to do is not be bottom half of the league
Make no mistake... as presently constructed, this team is, at the very least, a legit playoff contender. Still think they have a great shot to win the division, and outside of the Patriots and Chiefs, I don't see anybody in this confidence who is any more consistent or that much better than us.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Make no mistake... as presently constructed, this team is, at the very least, a legit playoff contender. Still think they have a great shot to win the division, and outside of the Patriots and Chiefs, I don't see anybody in this confidence who is any more consistent or that much better than us.

I question the play calling, I think when healthy we will be much improved.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i agree but its hard not to panic/go into meltdown after one of the worst team showings for a long while

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
i agree but its hard not to panic/go into meltdown after one of the worst team showings for a long while
To me, its just a typical Ravens season. Actually, it happened earlier in the year than it should does. There's at least one game, every year, for like the entire Harbaugh era, where they lay an egg and it looks like the sky is falling. There's almost always a rock bottom moment.
Look at some of these seasons:
The 2008 team that went 11-5 and went to the AFC title game: lost 3 straight after starting the year 2-0, with the third loss being a 31-3 beatdown by the Colts in Indianapolis. We went 9-2 after that to finish the season, with every single victory by double digits.

The 2011 team that went 12-4 and went to the AFC title game had an epic bad 12-7 loss to a terrible Jacksonville team (I believe they went like 4-12 that year) on Monday night football. I vividly remember everything about this game, because I was there. I was drunk shit talking anybody I could find at Jacksonville sports bars, telling them there was no scenario where they could beat us. Then they did. We rebounded and won 6 of our next 7, and 8 out of our last 10.

The SB Champion 2012 team lost three straight and went 1-4 in the month of December, which included an OT loss to Redskins in Washington that led to Cam Cameron getting fired, and a 17 point beating at home by the Broncos the following week (in a game that wasn't that close). You could actually argue we had two "rock bottom" points this season, since we can destroyed by the Texans by 30 a month earlier, in primetime, before our bye week. I think it goes without saying that we rebounded from that.

The 2013 team, which was at least average, lost three straight in late October-early November, culminated by a road loss to the 4-12 Cleveland Browns, the final game they win would that season. We won 5 out of our next 6 games after that.

The 2014 team lost back to back road games to Cincy and Pittsburgh, culminating with a 20 point beating at Heinz field, where Ben threw 6 TD passes against us. Went 5-2 to finish the year after that, and went back into Pittsburgh and beat them convincingly in the playoffs.

The 2016 team started the year 3-0, then had 4 consecutive losses, including 3 bad losses against Washington (at home), and road losses to both NY teams, with none of those teams being very good at all those years, which led to Trestman getting fired. We won 4 of our next 5 and 6 of our next 8 after that, before missing out on the playoffs on that the end of the year.

The 2017 team was kind of all over the place, but notably, we lost back to back embarrassing games by getting destroyed by Jacksonville in London (this was the worst Ravens performance I remember seeing in the Harbaugh era), followed by getting beat easily at home by Pittsburgh the following week. We actually somehow went 5-1 after our bye week, before again crapping the bed to end the year.
Not hard to see.

And last years team speaks for itself. 1-4 in the five weeks preceding our bye, including an overtime loss to the Browns on the road, and a beatdown we took from Carolina on the road. Bye week change at QB due to Joe's injury sparks us to a 6-1 record down the stretch to make the playoffs.

It happens almost every time. You can pencil us in for a 2-4 game losing streak, with at least one "shit the bed" game in there. The only question anybody should have is whether the Browns game was that game, and whether or not that streak continues this Sunday.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
To me, its just a typical Ravens season. Actually, it happened earlier in the year than it should does. There's at least one game, every year, for like the entire Harbaugh era, where they lay an egg and it looks like the sky is falling. There's almost always a rock bottom moment.
The 2008 team that went 11-5 and went to the AFC title game: lost 3 straight after starting the year 2-0, with the third loss being a 31-3 beatdown by the Colts in Indianapolis. We went 9-2 after that to finish the season, with every single victory by double digits.

The 2011 team that went 12-4 and went to the AFC title game had an epic bad 12-7 loss to a terrible Jacksonville team (I believe they went like 4-12 that year) on Monday night football. I vividly remember everything about this game, because I was there. I was drunk shit talking anybody I could find at Jacksonville sports bars, telling them there was no scenario where they could beat us. Then they did. We rebounded and won 6 of our next 7, and 8 out of our last 10.

The SB Champion 2012 team lost three straight and went 1-4 in the month of December, which included an OT loss to Redskins in Washington that led to Cam Cameron getting fired, and a 17 point beating at home by the Broncos the following week (in a game that wasn't that close). You could actually argue we had two "rock bottom" points this season, since we can destroyed by the Texans by 30 a month earlier, in primetime, before our bye week. I think it goes without saying that we rebounded from that.

The 2013 team, which was at least average, lost three straight in late October-early November, culminated by a road loss to the 4-12 Cleveland Browns, the final game they win would that season. We won 5 out of our next 6 games after that.

The 2014 team lost back to back road games to Cincy and Pittsburgh, culminating with a 20 point beating at Heinz field, where Ben threw 6 TD passes against us. Went 5-2 to finish the year after that, and went back into Pittsburgh and beat them convincingly in the playoffs.

The 2016 team started the year 3-0, then had 4 consecutive losses, including 3 bad losses against Washington (at home), and road losses to both NY teams, with none of those teams being very good at all those years, which led to Trestman getting fired. We won 4 of our next 5 and 6 of our next 8 after that, before missing out on the playoffs on that the end of the year.

The 2017 team was kind of all over the place, but notably, we lost back to back embarrassing games by getting destroyed by Jacksonville in London (this was the worst Ravens performance I remember seeing in the Harbaugh era), followed by getting beat easily at home by Pittsburgh the following week. We actually somehow went 5-1 after our bye week, before again crapping the bed to end the year.
Not hard to see.

And last years team speaks for itself. 1-4 in the five weeks preceding our bye, including an overtime loss to the Browns on the road, and a beatdown we took from Carolina on the road. Bye week change at QB due to Joe's injury sparks us to a 6-1 record down the stretch to make the playoffs.

It happens almost every time. You can pencil us in for a 2-4 game losing streak, with at least one "shit the bed" game in there. The only question anybody should have is whether the Browns game was that game, and whether or not that streak continues this Sunday.
Thank you for the numbers I have been telling people the Ravens usually start the season with 1 or 2 really good games, then lose a few heading into the bye, but then are one of the best teams at adjusting after the bye week and these numbers really show that.

I told people I thought the Ravens were going to lose to the Browns. They always lose this time of the year for whatever reason. They play better from behind and usually finish the season stronger. Plus it is honestly retarded how the Ravens defense goes from 3rd in the league in pass defense to 29th the past 3 years without Jimmy Smith. I think he is underrated by everyone especially Ravens fans because of his injuries. But the defense falls apart without him. Same can be said without BWill with our run defense.

Ravens are a legit playoff contender but their defense showed that they can't withstand the injuries they maybe could have the past 5 years after losing some veterans. They need to get healthy and fix these blown coverages that happen almost every drive it feels like. They need figure out a creative way to get some pass rush.

Not hard to see.

This is exactly why I try not to get caught up in the hype of a big win over a lesser opponent (Miami & Arizona), or give up too quickly when we lose to better teams. This team obviously has some big issues on defense right now but we are only 4 games in and only 1/2 game out of division lead. We still have the highest scoring offense in the league. Way to early to give up on this team.

Last edited:

JAAM

Hall of Famer
He's become overly criticized. He's saved us from a ton of bad plays that could have easily resulted in TDs. He's not the ET that you saw in Seattle but I'd argue that scheme and talent around him has more to do with that.
Plus we don’t run Cover 3 all of the time lol. Wink’s scheme is extremely complex. People just need to give Earl some time to adjust. I have faith in him