• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Bad, The Ugly, and the Pathetic

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Here's an article from the Sun on why Earl Thomas is not the problem:https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports...0191002-7osmbq2qhfhlbj36bhmddsigre-story.html
For me, I think its pretty simple:
1. He's being asked to do some things different than what he did in Seattle. I think that's to be expected.
2. The Ravens, as a whole, are playing a lot more zone coverage in the last 2-3 weeks, because outside of Marlon and maybe Carr (who is playing out of position a lot), they don't feel they can match up and play press man coverage as much as they could with Jimmy on the outside or with Tavon in the slot.

I do agree with what Harbaugh and even ET have said about he zone concepts. The players just aren't doing their jobs. I bet if you go look at the tape, you'll see guys playing zone coverage who are biting on fakes, trying to anticipate routes too much, etc., and they're getting fooled into leaving their space.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Thank you for the numbers I have been telling people the Ravens usually start the season with 1 or 2 really good games, then lose a few heading into the bye, but then are one of the best teams at adjusting after the bye week and these numbers really show that.

I told people I thought the Ravens were going to lose to the Browns. They always lose this time of the year for whatever reason. They play better from behind and usually finish the season stronger. Plus it is honestly retarded how the Ravens defense goes from 3rd in the league in pass defense to 29th the past 3 years without Jimmy Smith. I think he is underrated by everyone especially Ravens fans because of his injuries. But the defense falls apart without him. Same can be said without BWill with our run defense.

Ravens are a legit playoff contender but their defense showed that they can't withstand the injuries they maybe could have the past 5 years after losing some veterans. They need to get healthy and fix these blown coverages that happen almost every drive it feels like. They need figure out a creative way to get some pass rush.
I actually believe we would be fine if Jimmy was out and Tavon was playing. We were fine in the beginning of the year when Jimmy was on suspension and Tavon was playing. Right now we are playing a bunch of zone coverages and blitzing to get home, which is leaving the field open. Boy am I missing CJ Weddle and Suggs. Oh and also ZDS.

D1City55

Pro Bowler
Plus we don’t run Cover 3 all of the time lol. Wink’s scheme is extremely complex. People just need to give Earl some time to adjust. I have faith in him
Hes gonna turn out to be a great signing, the fact that hes adjusted this well is telling. We’ll e getting the ET we all know soon. Plus people forget hes coming off an injury.

D1City55

Pro Bowler
The fact that Tim was cut is truly telling considering that we’re extra thin at OLB. They’re playing no games rn and Bowser could be next. He got benched after that horrid play off the edge.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
How is that OBJ ends up with 2 catches for 20 yards and those catches came at the very end of the game AND Myles Garrett had only one pressure the whole game and we got blown out after only giving up 10 points at the half. Something that I think may be underrated is fatigue. 1st and second half defense looked really different. Offense won't make that mnay mistakes in coming weeks. I think we'll end up 10-6

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Hes gonna turn out to be a great signing, the fact that hes adjusted this well is telling. We’ll e getting the ET we all know soon. Plus people forget hes coming off an injury.
Yeah I think that’s something that’s really under appreciated by fans, Seattle’s scheme was super easy for a FS. You had the middle third and the outer deep thirds were covered at all times with a generational corner covering one of those thirds

What needs to happen is wink needs to make adjustments, allow earl to play the QBs eyes, stop assigning him to whatever zone tony Jefferson isn’t in, let the man do what he does. Easier said than done considering Jefferson has been hot garbage, but adjustments can be made, rather than forcing earl goddamn Thomas to play like Eric weddle

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
1. He's being asked to do some things different than what he did in Seattle. I think that's to be expected.
2. The Ravens, as a whole, are playing a lot more zone coverage in the last 2-3 weeks, because outside of Marlon and maybe Carr (who is playing out of position a lot), they don't feel they can match up and play press man coverage as much as they could with Jimmy on the outside or with Tavon in the slot.

I do agree with what Harbaugh and even ET have said about he zone concepts. The players just aren't doing their jobs. I bet if you go look at the tape, you'll see guys playing zone coverage who are biting on fakes, trying to anticipate routes too much, etc., and they're getting fooled into leaving their space.
I have gone back to the film and seen exactly what Harbaugh and ET said about the zone concepts. I've seen numerous times players being too aggressive and biting on play action. Cleveland is either the number one or at the top of the list in terms of the amount of PA they call and we fell for it. The Chiefs are up there as well.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Yeah I think that’s something that’s really under appreciated by fans, Seattle’s scheme was super easy for a FS. You had the middle third and the outer deep thirds were covered at all times with a generational corner covering one of those thirds

What needs to happen is wink needs to make adjustments, allow earl to play the QBs eyes, stop assigning him to whatever zone tony Jefferson isn’t in, let the man do what he does. Easier said than done considering Jefferson has been hot garbage, but adjustments can be made, rather than forcing earl goddamn Thomas to play like Eric Weddle
they can also let Jefferson play closer to the line of scrimmage and be an enforcer in the run game. He isn't that good in coverage anyways.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
How is that OBJ ends up with 2 catches for 20 yards and those catches came at the very end of the game AND Myles Garrett had only one pressure the whole game and we got blown out after only giving up 10 points at the half. Something that I think may be underrated is fatigue. 1st and second half defense looked really different. Offense won't make that mnay mistakes in coming weeks. I think we'll end up 10-6
1. Because the middle of the field was wide open. Landry had 167 yards, Ricky Seals Jones had 82 yards, and both averaged over 20 yards/catch, which is absurd. Baker only completed 20 passes... they were just big plays pretty much everytime. 11.4 YPA is absurd for a QB also.
2. FilmStudy did a review of the Oline for this game. Surprisingly, it was probably the unit's best game of the year. A majority of the sacks and pressures were attributed to either blitzes where nobody was picked up, or poor blocking from TE's and RBs (Justice Hill was credited with a sack allowed).
3. I don't buy the "tired defense" argument one bit. I think it's overused.

Look at the breakdown by half:
First half:
Ravens offense had 4 possessions: Punt, Punt, Punt, TD
None of those possessions were for longer than 4 minutes of game clock, and the average drive time was about 3 minutes of game clock.
Second half:
First three Ravens offensive possessions went FG, Fumble, TD
All of those drives were at least 3.5 minutes of game clock, and the last TD drive was a little over 6 minutes.
The Browns subsequently scored TDs after each one of those possessions.
The Browns actually scored 17 points in the second half in less than 3 minutes of game clock.
They had a 3 play, 75 yard drive that listed 1.5 minutes (the first drive of the 2nd half, so the defense was fully rested)
They had a 8 play, 74 yard drive that listed 5 minutes, which the Ravens answered with a 14 play, 75 yard drive that lasted 6 minutes
They had a 1 play, 83 yard TD run that took 15 seconds off the clock

If I'm going to blame fatigue, it MIGHT be middle of the 4th quarter, when you're already down 15 points on the scoreboard. I see no reason in the timeframe before that where the Ravens defense should have been fatigued for any reason.

A1A

Veteran

The answer is obvious and has been over looked because people hate to admit it. Harbaugh cant make adjustments and our opponents can. Harbs is the Mud Dogs coach before the waterboy gave him confidence. Sorry folks but after 10 years of Harbs, Adam Sandler is not riding in on an air boat. He fell into the perfect situation with a Hall of Fame core of players and now that they're all gone he has showed to be a very poor coach with very little intelligence.

A1A

Veteran
Even Tomlin the other night intervened on offense. I saw him literally go up to the OC and look at what he was calling and listened in on the play calling like to say ok man let's go I'm watching you. When was the last time u seen Harbs intervene on anything lol. Oh btw it's funny to read this sentence....Tim William's played 7 snaps in last nights blow out loss to Cleveland.....he was cut. Lol like it was his fault. What next Jaleel Scott cut because he only made 1 tackle on ST?? Yea hes horrible. Who's our WR's again?? Cause Idk Moore and Roberts have been lighting it up this year thats why guys like Scott cant get on the field.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The answer is obvious and has been over looked because people hate to admit it. Harbaugh cant make adjustments and our opponents can. Harbs is the Mud Dogs coach before the waterboy gave him confidence. Sorry folks but after 10 years of Harbs, Adam Sandler is not riding in on an air boat. He fell into the perfect situation with a Hall of Fame core of players and now that they're all gone he has showed to be a very poor coach with very little intelligence.
I actually do think this number will begin to change with Lamar Jackson and the offense. We have only lost 3 regular season games since he has taken over and two of those were to the Chiefs.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
1. Because the middle of the field was wide open. Landry had 167 yards, Ricky Seals Jones had 82 yards, and both averaged over 20 yards/catch, which is absurd. Baker only completed 20 passes... they were just big plays pretty much everytime. 11.4 YPA is absurd for a QB also.
2. FilmStudy did a review of the Oline for this game. Surprisingly, it was probably the unit's best game of the year. A majority of the sacks and pressures were attributed to either blitzes where nobody was picked up, or poor blocking from TE's and RBs (Justice Hill was credited with a sack allowed).
3. I don't buy the "tired defense" argument one bit. I think it's overused.

Look at the breakdown by half:
First half:
Ravens offense had 4 possessions: Punt, Punt, Punt, TD
None of those possessions were for longer than 4 minutes of game clock, and the average drive time was about 3 minutes of game clock.
Second half:
First three Ravens offensive possessions went FG, Fumble, TD
All of those drives were at least 3.5 minutes of game clock, and the last TD drive was a little over 6 minutes.
The Browns subsequently scored TDs after each one of those possessions.
The Browns actually scored 17 points in the second half in less than 3 minutes of game clock.
They had a 3 play, 75 yard drive that listed 1.5 minutes (the first drive of the 2nd half, so the defense was fully rested)
They had a 8 play, 74 yard drive that listed 5 minutes, which the Ravens answered with a 14 play, 75 yard drive that lasted 6 minutes
They had a 1 play, 83 yard TD run that took 15 seconds off the clock

If I'm going to blame fatigue, it MIGHT be middle of the 4th quarter, when you're already down 15 points on the scoreboard. I see no reason in the timeframe before that where the Ravens defense should have been fatigued for any reason.

I really don't disagree with you. The first part of my post was more rhetorical than anything else. Of course OBJ has so few catches when Landry and the TE are that fucking open every play. Marlon was the only one doing his job and so baker took advantage of what he got. Also just because Stanley, like Humph took his man out of the game doesn't mean Bozeman or justice Hill did they're fair share in pass pro. Really just pointing out sorta buzzword stats that if you heard before the game you would've thought the outcome would be different. In terms of the tired defense, I mostly am referring to the dline which has been already been far less of a rotation than we normally see and was sans Williams. If I recall correctly, we were at least OK against the run first half and really not at all second half.

D1City55

Pro Bowler

What needs to happen is wink needs to make adjustments, allow earl to play the QBs eyes, stop assigning him to whatever zone tony Jefferson isn’t in, let the man do what he does. Easier said than done considering Jefferson has been hot garbage, but adjustments can be made, rather than forcing earl goddamn Thomas to play like Eric weddle
I just personally think he's overly criticized at this point and I think he's playing good football so far. When you have blown coverages by LBs, slot, and others in general, it just makes things so difficult for him and people think he needs to be super-man and put on a cape and stop every single play. I'm seriously pissed at how horrible edge play has been and we have no solution for it. It's not like we're dealing with injuries there and we're just waiting for a guy to come back, it's a serious nightmare and I don't see how we solve this. I think FilmStudy pointed out that when Jaylon Ferguson is on the field, the defense has allowed 15YPP. Thats an atrocity and lets be real here, he's not going to fix this. Point is, we have so much bigger problems then ET.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor

Our defense was built up from the ground last season and was especially designed for last year's unit to take advantage of Weddle, Mosley and Suggs high football IQ. This season they did the same for the offensive to have a scheme that fits Lamar. And both times the result were massively better than what was before.
Now to me it makes no sense to run the same defense because we lost all the players who made it run. We can't play a defense which creates fast 3 and outs. I feel like this year's unit would profit off a scheme that focuses more on creating turnovers.

D1City55

Pro Bowler

Kenny Young was a culprit of not playing his zone on that Browns TD to Seals Jones. He played that very poorly. I think Harbs and Wink were actually right and our problem is that we're not taking poor angles, and overplaying coverage as you said.