• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Lamar, The DeCosta and the Andrews

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I think that’s partly true in terms of the respect and clearly no ones going after him to headhunt him or cheapshot him etc. But I think part of him avoiding those big collisions is that he’s too quick to be lined up for a big shot - either the tackler only gets part of him or they miss or Lamar’s initiating the contact all of which lessen the impact laid on him

But it’s definitely also true to say that maybe slightly in their subconscious the opposition don’t want to go after him (and what’s odd about this is we don’t even have Ryan Jensen on the team ready to lay some retribution)
That definitely is the case - just incredibly talented athlete.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
His body control and vision are incredible.
I may be wrong and it's just wishful thinking but watching games and Lamar's play I notice lot of defenders look like they don't want to hit him in 50-50 situations. Lots of mutual helmet tapping after the plays. I get the feeling there's mad respect on the field shown to our boy.
I think defenders are afraid he’s gonna pull a fast one and shake them silly so guys who have him lined up are still hesitant

Tank

Hall of Famer

at after 5 mins they've got a 2nd angle of lamar and harbs talking about 4th and 2 and there's an angle where you can see Yanda's face as lamar turns to him to ask him if he also wants to go for it and it almost looks like yanda's in love lol

Luv me some Yanda

Ludy51

Hall of Famer

at after 5 mins they've got a 2nd angle of lamar and harbs talking about 4th and 2 and there's an angle where you can see Yanda's face as lamar turns to him to ask him if he also wants to go for it and it almost looks like yanda's in love lol

I honestly think this new sudden energy has given Yanda another year on his career, at least

purp

Practice Squad
His body control and vision are incredible.
I may be wrong and it's just wishful thinking but watching games and Lamar's play I notice lot of defenders look like they don't want to hit him in 50-50 situations. Lots of mutual helmet tapping after the plays. I get the feeling there's mad respect on the field shown to our boy.

I think that’s partly true in terms of the respect and clearly no ones going after him to headhunt him or cheapshot him etc. But I think part of him avoiding those big collisions is that he’s too quick to be lined up for a big shot - either the tackler only gets part of him or they miss or Lamar’s initiating the contact all of which lessen the impact laid on him

But it’s definitely also true to say that maybe slightly in their subconscious the opposition don’t want to go after him (and what’s odd about this is we don’t even have Ryan Jensen on the team ready to lay some retribution)

I actually had this inkling too. I think there are a couple of things at work here:

-These are world-class, hyper competitive athletes. Not used to being out-athleted, so when they are there is even more awe than what we see/feel as fans
-Lamar is a magnetic figure and there isn’t bad blood between teams in the league like there used to be. There might be beef between specific players due to personality clashes (i.e. Bosa/Mayfield, Finnegan/Jones, Smith Sr./Talib), but that “kill the guys on the other side” mentality is gone.

For those two reasons, I honestly think these guys like watching Lamar as much as we do (maybe more) and want to see him keep doing what he’s doing. Clowney’s quote says it all:

“I always wanted to play against Vick...I guess I just saw the new version.”

Tank

Hall of Famer
I mean I saw that they were going to call that RTP before the play was over. Anytime a QB gets hit low like that they are going to throw the flag.
You’re thinking of a different play where Bowser got pushed into Wilson’s knees. Fort’s hit was at shoulder level just as the ball was being released. Not roughing, clean and not late.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
I saw it again on the replay and was pissed all over again. Fort played that game like his hair was on fire. Hope he can keep it up.

That open field tackle that he had on Wilson was one of the best defensive plays in the game. It's remarkable how much he and Bynes have solidified the middle of our defense since being added to the team.

purp

Practice Squad
You’re thinking of a different play where Bowser got pushed into Wilson’s knees. Fort’s hit was at shoulder level just as the ball was being released. Not roughing, clean and not late.

Was Bynes. Camera just showed Bowser because of the exasperated reaction. Also...Bowser got HUGE.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
That open field tackle that he had on Wilson was one of the best defensive plays in the game. It's remarkable how much he and Bynes have solidified the middle of our defense since being added to the team.
that can't be said enough. Great how Wink and the staff have got them comfortable with the game plan.