• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Lamar, The DeCosta and the Andrews

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
That and the fact Lamar has the clear respect of a man of such veteran stature as Yanda is telling (partly because Lamar seems to look to Yanda for his thoughts). It is also telling that Harbaugh looks at a 22 year and trusts his opinion. It was like a manager going to the mound to check on his veteran pitcher and leaving him in if the pitcher not only says he's good to go, but reads it in his eye.

Eisenberg had a really good comment in his post-game article and that was ... the turning point in this game was Carroll deciding to try a 53 yard FG instead of going for 4th and 3. I was really surprised he put that trust in his kicker rather than in Wilson. On the flip - Harbaugh first sent out the FG team, then looked to his QB for his opinion. No lukewarm response ... absolute enthusiasm and then the backing of his most trusted vet. Give Harbaugh credit for being that kind of open guy - to look to his players, read them and then make a decision. That was a beautiful thing.
Lamar turned out to be far more mature than his age would suggest from the beginning. Straight up, no bullshit talk, backed up by what he does on the field. We get to see that on Sundays but the Ravens see it all day every day - it's hard not to thrust him but I know Baltimore is the only place in the NFL in which Lamar could have received this kind of support from day 1. Kid is phenomenal, one of a kind but so are the Ravens.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Its so crazy to think that one play (or non play) can be so pivotal. Imagine how different the game might have gone had we not had that delay of game that set the chain of events in motion. What a great moment.
Yep, Skura never gets enough credit.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
That and the fact Lamar has the clear respect of a man of such veteran stature as Yanda is telling (partly because Lamar seems to look to Yanda for his thoughts). It is also telling that Harbaugh looks at a 22 year and trusts his opinion. It was like a manager going to the mound to check on his veteran pitcher and leaving him in if the pitcher not only says he's good to go, but reads it in his eye.

Eisenberg had a really good comment in his post-game article and that was ... the turning point in this game was Carroll deciding to try a 53 yard FG instead of going for 4th and 3. I was really surprised he put that trust in his kicker rather than in Wilson. On the flip - Harbaugh first sent out the FG team, then looked to his QB for his opinion. No lukewarm response ... absolute enthusiasm and then the backing of his most trusted vet. Give Harbaugh credit for being that kind of open guy - to look to his players, read them and then make a decision. That was a beautiful thing.

we often criticise harbs but the difference in the coaching between the sidelines was enormous and its only fair we give him props too - there was a gulf in class in the coaching on sunday and harbs and wink and G-Ro put on a masterclass and made pete carroll look distinctly average by comparison

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Brandon Williams grades from yesterdays games from PFF

78.0 -- overall defense

75.2 -- Run Defense

70.6 -- Tackling

78.0 -- Pressure (he's been in the 50s all year long)

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I wouldn't let that one bad game deter you from getting his jersey, unless you get an LJ jersey instead.

I bought my L-Jack jersey the moment the Ravens traded Flacco!

As far as picking up an Andrews jersey? I know that was one bad game for him but when it manifested boy did it manifest! So, I'll wait.....:smoke::cool:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Lamar turned out to be far more mature than his age would suggest from the beginning. Straight up, no bullshit talk, backed up by what he does on the field. We get to see that on Sundays but the Ravens see it all day every day - it's hard not to thrust him but I know Baltimore is the only place in the NFL in which Lamar could have received this kind of support from day 1. Kid is phenomenal, one of a kind but so are the Ravens.
I believe I've also heard he has a photographic memory, which definitely helps in the learning curve.

D1City55

Pro Bowler
I bought my L-Jack jersey the moment the Ravens traded Flacco!

As far as picking up an Andrews jersey? I know that was one bad game for him but when it manifested boy did it manifest! So, I'll wait.....:smoke::cool:
I'm still getting Andrews. Probably after Humphrey's though. ET is one I have my eyes on too.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
PFF’s highest graded player on defence this week for us was tyus bowser - and his grades have been pretty good from them recently...

There’s some disconnect somewhere because the coaches still aren’t giving him more snaps

Well he’s going to have to play lots of snaps now so I guess we’ll find out

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Some interesting season related stats etc about Lamar and running qbs and injuries:

Lamar is currently 33rd in hits taken in the pocket despite being 17th in pass attempts

On top of that here’s statistical data on when qbs get injured in different situations...

Injury on designed run: 1 in every 236
Injury on scramble: 1 in every 91.7
Injury on sack: 1 in every 92.5
Injury on qb hit (knockdown): 1 in every 67.3

That’s some pretty interesting numbers
Clearly the less you get hit the less you get injured but where and how you take those hits (and whether you’re braced/able to brace for them) matters a lot

Lamar is not taking many hits in positions where his body is unprotected and his mobility is allowing him to take even fewer hits and avoid big hits

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Some interesting season related stats etc about Lamar and running qbs and injuries:

Lamar is currently 33rd in hits taken in the pocket despite being 17th in pass attempts

On top of that here’s statistical data on when qbs get injured in different situations...

Clearly the less you get hit the less you get injured but where and how you take those hits (and whether you’re braced/able to brace for them) matters a lot

Lamar is not taking many hits in positions where his body is unprotected and his mobility is allowing him to take even fewer hits and avoid big hits
very nice. Where did you get the info

rossihunter2

Staff Member
And an aside here about Sam monson from pff- for someone who works for an analytics site he sure has some unfounded opinions and refuses to acknowledge his own biases and potentially flawed view of how the nfl works - his views on Lamar have always been behind and he’s so deadset on finding things to criticise or hold Lamar down with

There are some pff guys who are good pff analysts and good analysts in general because they have some self-awareness of their own grading system and it’s strengths and flaws as well as some acknowledgement of their own biases but Sam monson is not one of them

Rant over

allblackraven

Hall of Famer

His body control and vision are incredible.
I may be wrong and it's just wishful thinking but watching games and Lamar's play I notice lot of defenders look like they don't want to hit him in 50-50 situations. Lots of mutual helmet tapping after the plays. I get the feeling there's mad respect on the field shown to our boy.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
His body control and vision are incredible.
I may be wrong and it's just wishful thinking but watching games and Lamar's play I notice lot of defenders look like they don't want to hit him in 50-50 situations. Lots of mutual helmet tapping after the plays. I get the feeling there's mad respect on the field shown to our boy.

I think that’s partly true in terms of the respect and clearly no ones going after him to headhunt him or cheapshot him etc. But I think part of him avoiding those big collisions is that he’s too quick to be lined up for a big shot - either the tackler only gets part of him or they miss or Lamar’s initiating the contact all of which lessen the impact laid on him

But it’s definitely also true to say that maybe slightly in their subconscious the opposition don’t want to go after him (and what’s odd about this is we don’t even have Ryan Jensen on the team ready to lay some retribution)