• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Hollywood

Francois Boulianne

Practice Squad
...So basically what some here already wrote. This is pretty much confirms that Roman's scheme isn't primarily designed to be WR friendly.

Yes we need to acknowledge that. An just to illustrate the points lots of you are making about explosive plays early in games, just a quote from an article from last year. Losing Hurst without providing for a decent replacement and then losing Boyle is a killer for Roman's scheme (losing Yanda and Stanley is another story in and by itself):

The question is: How GR can reinvent his scheme that late in the season now that he can only rely on Andrews...

"Andrews, Hurst and Boyle have the talent to succeed in any offense, but in the attack designed by Offensive Coordinator Greg Roman, the tight ends have become more lethal.

Roman loves using tight ends to create mismatches. The first play of Sunday's game in Cincinnati was a perfect example. All three tight ends were in the formation – Boyle to the right, Andrews to the left and Hurst in motion from left to right.

A three tight-end look is often used by teams to provide extra blocking on a running play, or to make it easier for quarterbacks to find an intermediate passing target. However, instead of running or throwing to a tight end on the game's first play, the Ravens helped create a decoy with the three tight-end look and went deep. Bengals safety Jessie Bates III dropped down to cover Andrews and the Bengals were burned. Lamar Jackson connected with wide receiver Marquise Brown for a 49-yard completion that started the rout over Cincinnati with a bang"

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/ravens-tight-end-trio-is-special-on-and-off-the-field

Reactions: cdp

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yes we need to acknowledge that. An just to illustrate the points lots of you are making about explosive plays early in games, just a quote from an article from last year. Losing Hurst without providing for a decent replacement and then losing Boyle is a killer for Roman's scheme (losing Yanda and Stanley is another story in and by itself):

The question is: How GR can reinvent his scheme that late in the season now that he can only rely on Andrews...

"Andrews, Hurst and Boyle have the talent to succeed in any offense, but in the attack designed by Offensive Coordinator Greg Roman, the tight ends have become more lethal.

Roman loves using tight ends to create mismatches. The first play of Sunday's game in Cincinnati was a perfect example. All three tight ends were in the formation – Boyle to the right, Andrews to the left and Hurst in motion from left to right.

A three tight-end look is often used by teams to provide extra blocking on a running play, or to make it easier for quarterbacks to find an intermediate passing target. However, instead of running or throwing to a tight end on the game's first play, the Ravens helped create a decoy with the three tight-end look and went deep. Bengals safety Jessie Bates III dropped down to cover Andrews and the Bengals were burned. Lamar Jackson connected with wide receiver Marquise Brown for a 49-yard completion that started the rout over Cincinnati with a bang"

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/ravens-tight-end-trio-is-special-on-and-off-the-field
Good points. Good schemes don't depend on a single player and take advantage of the players you have on your roster. EDC built a track team. The wr talent surpasses what we have at TE by idk what. But we just don't run enough crossing routes or pick plays. The steelers run those plays successfully at a very high rate yesterday. Create space. Do you remember the 1st TD in the Cardinals game a year ago? Faked a wr screen to Hollywood and Andrews was wide open and walked into the EZ. Early last year we ran a few ot these plays - which imho are very creative - but I haven't seen them again. This could be because they fail at a higher rate, but we simply don't run enough screens and pick plays.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Hollywood definitely bailed himself out by catching the go ahead TD pass, but he dropped 3 or 4 good passes today. He needs to get with it. He's been hit with the dropsies as of late, but that's not his game, he typically has really good hands.

Reactions: cdp

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Hollywood definitely bailed himself out by catching the go ahead TD pass, but he dropped 3 or 4 good passes today. He needs to get with it. He's been hit with the dropsies as of late, but that's not his game, he typically has really good hands.

i think he's stuck in his own head creating a vicious cycle

the pass to him by mcsorely literally didnt even touch his hands despite being right on the numbers... that suggests to me that something's pretty wrong mentally

that's not a drop in the sense that it hit him in the hands then hit the ground, nor is it a drop in the sense that his hands were late or he looked up before securing the ball

that play in particular just looked all wrong - looks mental to me - not sure it's fixable without him rebuilding his confidence which only comes with making catches

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i think he's stuck in his own head creating a vicious cycle

the pass to him by mcsorely literally didnt even touch his hands despite being right on the numbers... that suggests to me that something's pretty wrong mentally

that's not a drop in the sense that it hit him in the hands then hit the ground, nor is it a drop in the sense that his hands were late or he looked up before securing the ball

that play in particular just looked all wrong - looks mental to me - not sure it's fixable without him rebuilding his confidence which only comes with making catches
even the TD got into his body before he was able to secure it. I do think it's fixable because he's typically had good hands, but somehow that's gotten away from him. I don't know if it's more pressure to succeed given the lack of opportunities or what, but whatever it is it needs to be fixed.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
even the TD got into his body before he was able to secure it. I do think it's fixable because he's typically had good hands, but somehow that's gotten away from him. I don't know if it's more pressure to succeed given the lack of opportunities or what, but whatever it is it needs to be fixed.

Definitely gotta be fixed. Doesn't he have 3 TDs in 3 games now? Hopefully he can get some confidence back.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

which is why it's 100% mental - he's had good hands throughout his college career and even as a rookie

rossihunter2

Staff Member
i saw this graphic relating to the Chiefs and the amount of separation their receivers get...
It really is amazing how open Tyreek Hill gets and it made me wonder where Hollywood was - and I was looking for ages in that bunch in the middle thinking maybe he wasn't on the graph...

And then I saw him...

EsRB_iGXUAIq7f3

We have to find a way to get the ball to him - he is an elite separator
(also nice to see 2 of my favourite pound the table WRs in the last 3+ drafts who i 100% wanted us to draft be in the top 3 separators in the league)

Hollywood was 1 and Calvin Ridley the other (we literally could have had both lol) - I had Hollywood 11th on my big board coming out in 2019 and I had Calvin Ridley 9th on my board - both made it to the Ravens first pick that year

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
i saw this graphic relating to the Chiefs and the amount of separation their receivers get...
It really is amazing how open Tyreek Hill gets and it made me wonder where Hollywood was - and I was looking for ages in that bunch in the middle thinking maybe he wasn't on the graph...

And then I saw him...

EsRB_iGXUAIq7f3

(also nice to see 2 of my favourite pound the table WRs in the last 3+ drafts who i 100% wanted us to draft be in the top 3 separators in the league)

Hollywood was 1 and Calvin Ridley the other (we literally could have had both lol) - I had Hollywood 11th on my big board coming out in 2019 and I had Calvin Ridley 9th on my board - both made it to the Ravens first pick that year
I really felt like calvin ridley was a no brainer smh.. ravens really let me down with that one man.. 2 people i thought for sure we would grab last few yrs was ridley and budda baker.. idk but i was just so sure we would get them lol

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor

And then I saw him...

EsRB_iGXUAIq7f3

Felt like Lamar started to find him more towards the end of the year. I agree with you, the ball needs to go to him a lot more similar to how we found him short against the Titans. He has legs, let him use them and give him opportunity for YAC

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Felt like Lamar started to find him more towards the end of the year. I agree with you, the ball needs to go to him a lot more similar to how we found him short against the Titans. He has legs, let him use them and give him opportunity for YAC

that's true but i think the big thing is that hollywood's frequently winning downfield and we're just not getting him the ball (or occasionally he drops it)

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
that's true but i think the big thing is that hollywood's frequently winning downfield and we're just not getting him the ball (or occasionally he drops it)

Early in the year there were alot of times he had guys beat downfield and Lamar missed him. As the year went on and the o-line struggled, I don't think Lamar was even looking that deep. With Lamar, I just wished we set up the short stuff better. It blows my mind how you can sit there and see the corners beg you to throw it short and you insist on running the guys straight into coverage. That video Kurt W made summed it up.

How we utilized Brown against the Titans is how I envisioned him being used this entire year. Then go deep when the defense gets honest and respects that pass.

As dominant as we were at running the ball, we seemed to have failed our WR's and QB with the style of passing game that was out there. It's just not creative enough

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Early in the year there were alot of times he had guys beat downfield and Lamar missed him. As the year went on and the o-line struggled, I don't think Lamar was even looking that deep. With Lamar, I just wished we set up the short stuff better. It blows my mind how you can sit there and see the corners beg you to throw it short and you insist on running the guys straight into coverage. That video Kurt W made summed it up.

How we utilized Brown against the Titans is how I envisioned him being used this entire year. Then go deep when the defense gets honest and respects that pass.

As dominant as we were at running the ball, we seemed to have failed our WR's and QB with the style of passing game that was out there. It's just not creative enough

that's just the stuff we actually hit on - there's a number of throws where we missed hollywood or we just didn't throw it - and that's both exciting for the future of this passing offence with hollywood - and frustrating because there were explosive plays we left on the field

he absolutely destroyed tredavious white when ty huntley was in at QB - and we should have had a long td near the end to at least make the bills vaguely uncomfortable to finish the game

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor

And then I saw him...

EsRB_iGXUAIq7f3

Please don’t remind me about getting Ridley but going for Hurst. I’m still pissed about this. I could live without DJ Moore and liked and wanted him a lot but Ridley made too much sense.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Holy crap, was Andrews THAT bad?

inefficient in the playoffs... 11 targets, 4 receptions for 28 yds vs the bills and 6 targets, 4 receptions for 41 yds vs the Titans

obviously there's more to it than just those numbers - but i'd say those numbers are pretty indicative

whereas brown was 7/9 for 109 vs the Titans and 4/7 for 87 vs the Bills where one of those missed 3 was an easy TD bomb that Huntley missed at QB where he dusted Tredavious White

I totally missed the word "playoffs" in the graphic so that explains my surprise!

inefficient in the playoffs... 11 targets, 4 receptions for 28 yds vs the bills and 6 targets, 4 receptions for 41 yds vs the Titans

obviously there's more to it than just those numbers - but i'd say those numbers are pretty indicative

whereas brown was 7/9 for 109 vs the Titans and 4/7 for 87 vs the Bills where one of those missed 3 was an easy TD bomb that Huntley missed at QB where he dusted Tredavious White