• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Wink Martindale and Greg Roman

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Also, I do find it not just a little comical that there are topics and discussions on this board about not retaining Roman or even firing him, and yet somehow, others are surprised we manage to keep him and that he's not getting HC opportunities elsewhere.

I think its pretty hard to reconcile those thoughts. How does one go from "we should fire him mid-season" to "he could get HC opportunities" in a span of a few weeks?

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Also, I do find it not just a little comical that there are topics and discussions on this board about not retaining Roman or even firing him, and yet somehow, others are surprised we manage to keep him and that he's not getting HC opportunities elsewhere.

I think its pretty hard to reconcile those thoughts. How does one go from "we should fire him mid-season" to "he could get HC opportunities" in a span of a few weeks?
Recency bias. I still want a new OC no matter how this season will end.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Recency bias. I still want a new OC no matter how this season will end.
But... recency bias on who's part?

Like so far it doesn't appear Roman is a hot name in the HC market, so its not a bias among NFL owners.

I would argue its not recency bias. I would argue its fans overreacting to a bad stretch of play calling, and mostly, personnel execution.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

because it never should really have been considered in the first place

rossihunter2

Staff Member
for what it's worth it didn't sound like Greg Roman was going to be a part of the hiring cycle this time around anyway - there were no rumours and no buzz around him

what's more surprising is that Wink hasn't even had an interview request given how he was being talked about just before the interview process was starting

Simba

Staff Member
for what it's worth it didn't sound like Greg Roman was going to be a part of the hiring cycle this time around anyway - there were no rumours and no buzz around him

what's more surprising is that Wink hasn't even had an interview request given how he was being talked about just before the interview process was starting

For what it's worth, teams have to wait until we're done to actually interview him if they wanted to. Only coaches eligible for interviews this week were from teams that are no longer in it or teams that were on a bye. That's why Bienemy did some things but you don't have a guy like Arthur Smith from TEN doing interviews either, despite being a hot candidate.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
But... recency bias on who's part?

Like so far it doesn't appear Roman is a hot name in the HC market, so its not a bias among NFL owners.

I would argue its not recency bias. I would argue its fans overreacting to a bad stretch of play calling, and mostly, personnel execution.
Fans. If you lose they want to fire or cut the scapegoat and when you win your coach/player is the mvp. That's just how it works

rossihunter2

Staff Member
For what it's worth, teams have to wait until we're done to actually interview him if they wanted to. Only coaches eligible for interviews this week were from teams that are no longer in it or teams that were on a bye. That's why Bienemy did some things but you don't have a guy like Arthur Smith from TEN doing interviews either, despite being a hot candidate.

oh i thought there were still guys getting requests but that they were going to have to be scheduled later - i thought i saw stuff with saints coaches and brian daboll etc. getting interview requests no?

but this would make a lot more sense as to why we've not had any if that's the case...

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Fans. If you lose they want to fire or cut the scapegoat and when you win your coach/player is the mvp. That's just how it works
They could make it work differently. They just choose not to. Its called laziness...

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
Roman is less surprising to me. I don't think you can just bring him in to be a HC and he can run any offense and any scheme. Like I don't see Greg Roman running a Tom Brady-led offense very well.

I think he actually could do OK with somebody like Deshaun Watson, but there's just very few situations I see out there that teams would be interested in Roman. Plus, there's like a half dozen other offensive guys who are more highly coveted right now, and only a finite number of job openings.

This may be true but let's not forget that Roman is also the same guy that had Alex Smith as his quarterback at one point in his coaching career and he didn't use Smith the same way as Colin Kapernick or Lamar Jackson for that matter. So ultimately it just depends on how much research a team does on Greg Roman offense.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
This may be true but let's not forget that Roman is also the same guy that had Alex Smith as his quarterback at one point in his coaching career and he didn't use Smith the same way as Colin Kapernick or Lamar Jackson for that matter. So ultimately it just depends on how much research a team does on Greg Roman offense.
Right, and the offense's under Alex Smith weren't that great either. They were fine, but nothing spectacular, and not nearly enough to warrant HC opportunities from them.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

Right, and the offense's under Alex Smith weren't that great either. They were fine, but nothing spectacular, and not nearly enough to warrant HC opportunities from them.

Alex Smith prior to Greg Roman getting to San Fran with Jim Harbaugh was mostly considered a bust at that point. Greg Roman started to use some spread concepts that he did well with in college and that's when Alex Smith started to do well.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor

Roman revitalized Smith's career, to be honest. Which back then was NOT an easy thing to do whatsoever