• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Wink Martindale and Greg Roman

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Teams: We want to interview Roman and Wink.

Lamar: CHILL! We have work to do.

Teams: Fine, we'll back off.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Now it is confirmed that we will be heading into the 2020 season with all of our coaches in tact. I'm happy to have the continuity for once.

Now it is confirmed that we will be heading into the 2020 season with all of our coaches in tact. I'm happy to have the continuity for once.

Yup, now we can soley focus on retaining players, fixing some holes and adding playmakers this off season.

Christian Schwarz

Practice Squad
If we dont win a playoff game next year....fire John Harbaugh and promote Greg Roman.

He has obviously worked wonders for Lamar and given a new identity to our franchise that has never really been as consistently good on offense.

I will always love John Harbaugh and his family, but after that horrible job he did yesterday with clock management and those horrible 4th down decisions. Put him on the hot seat.

We can not let ourselves become this decade's Cowboys or Bengals that consistently ride good teams to the playoffs only to fail over and over due to lackluster coaching. And both the clearly rode mediocre coaches for far too long, giving chance after chance, simply because they are likeable guys

And just digging up what Ed Reed, legendary best Safety one of the best football players ever Ed Reed. He was one who was not a fan of Harbaugh given he doesn't have any specific expertise anywhere outside special teams. Ed Reed wanted Harbaugh fired, the fans have wanted Harbaugh fired for years including this year after the Browns loss (Go read the comments on here lol).

I've stood by Harbs forever and know he will be our coach next season.

But having someone like Greg Roman...who is gaining a ton of HC interest around the league. I would rather pair Jackson and Roman for the next decade and continue the Ravens retool/f new culture following last yrs departure of Flacco.

And it's fairly certain we will convince Roman if all else fails he will be the heir apparent to Harbs if and when the time comes to move on. I think Roman would rather stick with Lamar and this organization than go else where.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Reed has changed his stance on Harbaugh @Christian Schwarz

Also, who predicted this team going 14-2?

I sure as hell didn't. The team says they believed this, but I thought they overachieved for what our expectations were. Just disappointing the way it ended. Keep Roman but get Culley more involved to help with the passing game.

It's just maddening. The same holes most said the team had wr, IOL and LB seemed to work itself out... only to come back at the worst possible time.

Christian Schwarz

Practice Squad
Reed has changed his stance on Harbaugh @Christian Schwarz

Also, who predicted this team going 14-2?

I sure as hell didn't. The team says they believed this, but I thought they overachieved for what our expectations were. Just disappointing the way it ended. Keep Roman but get Culley more involved to help with the passing game.

It's just maddening. The same holes most said the team had wr, IOL and LB seemed to work itself out... only to come back at the worst possible time.
Of course Reed did, bc we won a SB in a year where clearly we weren't going to fire Harbaugh regardless of Reeds hate at the time. Instead we fired Cam Cameron. But there is no question Reed and other veterans grew tired of Harbaugh's motivational speaker antics when he wasn't an underlying factor in offense/defense Xs and Os.

It has always been the players doing the work, but give Harbaugh credit for being a likeable motivational guy who keeps everything and everyone working together.

But make no mistake without John Harbaugh next year this team would still be good, not historic like this year but still damn good

rossihunter2

Staff Member
In light of wink being made the highest paid DC in the league and getting a 3 year extension I reread one of the most interesting articles on our defence: https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-baltimore-ravens-defensive-changes-2019 about how Wink is changing the philosophy of defence in the NFL right now - and in light of Weddle's retirement i would be remiss to ignore the impact that weddle and CJ mosley and Sizz had on the remaking of this defence

on both sides of the ball right now the ravens are the aggressor - forcing the other team to account for what we're doing on any given snap and gaining advantages by dictating - if we blitz we can hold extra receivers in to protect the qb and nullify their potential to be an outlet, we can create pressure quickly which forces the ball out quicker which plays into the hands of our secondary etc. etc. but its also built around having players who can make calls and adjustments on the fly and communicate well

these 2 parts of the PFF article probably are the most interesting:

Some other highlights from a unique Ravens defense:

• CB Marlon Humphrey has blitzed 27 times this year, most among cornerbacks who primarily align on the outside.
  • Safety Chuck Clark has rushed 88 times, 22 more than any other safety in the league. Thomas’ 48 rushes rank fifth in the league.
  • Edge rusher Judon has dropped into coverage 85 times, fourth-most in the league. Tyus Bowser ranks 11th with 55.
Which kind of follows on from the idea of this point:

In basketball, there’s a prevailing thought that positions are becoming less defined as player skillsets evolve. Big players are doing “little man things,” creating mismatches that may not have existed in years past. Could this brand of “positionless football” make its way to the NFL?

The Baltimore defense is unique in how they’re using the players in the back-7 to create confusion for opposing offenses.

it then goes on to talking about how that is exemplified - and uses Earl Thomas as the example to prove the rule

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
In light of wink being made the highest paid DC in the league and getting a 3 year extension I reread one of the most interesting articles on our defence: https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-baltimore-ravens-defensive-changes-2019 about how Wink is changing the philosophy of defence in the NFL right now - and in light of Weddle's retirement i would be remiss to ignore the impact that weddle and CJ mosley and Sizz had on the remaking of this defence

on both sides of the ball right now the ravens are the aggressor - forcing the other team to account for what we're doing on any given snap and gaining advantages by dictating - if we blitz we can hold extra receivers in to protect the qb and nullify their potential to be an outlet, we can create pressure quickly which forces the ball out quicker which plays into the hands of our secondary etc. etc. but its also built around having players who can make calls and adjustments on the fly and communicate well

these 2 parts of the PFF article probably are the most interesting:

Some other highlights from a unique Ravens defense:

• CB Marlon Humphrey has blitzed 27 times this year, most among cornerbacks who primarily align on the outside.
  • Safety Chuck Clark has rushed 88 times, 22 more than any other safety in the league. Thomas’ 48 rushes rank fifth in the league.
  • Edge rusher Judon has dropped into coverage 85 times, fourth-most in the league. Tyus Bowser ranks 11th with 55.
Which kind of follows on from the idea of this point:

In basketball, there’s a prevailing thought that positions are becoming less defined as player skillsets evolve. Big players are doing “little man things,” creating mismatches that may not have existed in years past. Could this brand of “positionless football” make its way to the NFL?

The Baltimore defense is unique in how they’re using the players in the back-7 to create confusion for opposing offenses.

it then goes on to talking about how that is exemplified - and uses Earl Thomas as the example to prove the rule
This is very interesting and also makes me want to rethink how we stack our board defensively. Obviously I still think Queen would be a dream scenario for this defense but I do wonder if we view Safeties in the same light as linebackers given how many we use and how we use them.

This brings me to Grant Delpit who I feel has really lost steam for some strange reason. I still see him as a top 15 prospect but he seems to be slipping down boards and i wonder if we would jump on the opportunity to grab a talent like him would he fall. He fits perfectly into our defense and would get playing time even with Thomas and Clark as the starters.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This is very interesting and also makes me want to rethink how we stack our board defensively. Obviously I still think Queen would be a dream scenario for this defense but I do wonder if we view Safeties in the same light as linebackers given how many we use and how we use them.

This brings me to Grant Delpit who I feel has really lost steam for some strange reason. I still see him as a top 15 prospect but he seems to be slipping down boards and i wonder if we would jump on the opportunity to grab a talent like him would he fall. He fits perfectly into our defense and would get playing time even with Thomas and Clark as the starters.

i think the way bynes and fort helped turn this defence around shows you how important the LB position is to this defence still - the difference is that we dont need a Mike to be the centrepiece because the green dot is on Chuck Clark who will drop down into the dime on 3rd downs so there's less stress on our MLB to have crazy range in coverage

it does make me think that someone like Queen might not be top of our list in round 1 because we could get someone later like malik harrison who's going to be a beast against the run but also has length and enough range to make plays in coverage in zone at least

you're right that it is philosophically interesting to see 1) how much we value LB now and 2) what sort of LB we go after - a more traditional mike or a newer rangier type

with delpit it's clear that he's a victim of preseason hype where some prognosticators had him as the best player in the class and then he had a down year where he was heavily scrutinized for everything and its now got to the point where he's become so "overrated" he's underrated - to me at least he's clearly the top safety in the class and a top 20 player (that being said safety is probably the position im absolutely the worst at scouting)

its hard to gauge value of certain positions at this point based on this scheme but to start with ill look at positional snap counts as a guide:

if we draft a safety high there are snaps they could win and they might be able to win a fairly decent chunk of snaps depending on their specific style but its unlikely they play anywhere near a full complement
if we draft a corner high there are some rotational snaps to be won but unless they're a generational talent they won't see much of the field unless we have injuries
if we draft an off-ball LB high there is the opportunity to win a starting spot that would play nearly 100% of the snaps but could find themselves eminently replaceable on high leverage downs
if we draft a DL high there is the opportunity to win a starting spot but at best they would get 80% of the snaps and might find some games they only have 50% (or fewer) - albeit if they are a dominant type player they might go above 80% but we are fond of rotation on the defence
if we draft an EDGE high there is the opportunity to win a starting spot and the likelihood of playing a high percentage of snaps in high leverage situations and positional flexibility (like at safety) to find extra snaps for extra good players

despite the value we place on the secondary, i think you always are looking at the draft for impact players which is why need is part of the BPA formula and ultimately a good player in the secondary will force their way onto the field but there's a ceiling on their snap counts which ultimately limits their potential impact

all things being equal we're going to go after a position of need if its front 7 vs secondary

i think its fairly clear that if we had 5 completely identical grades on players right now in the draft - we'd be drafting the EDGE, followed by a LB followed by a DL followed by both the DBs

and with edge its also important to remember that while we are focussing on building back to front you do still need to have a defensive front of some sort and there's a reason that lots of analysts refer to EDGE as the 2nd most valuable position on any given team

for me personally id rather we got a DL over a LB but i think the value with the way Wink runs the defence is at the LB spot in this situation

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor

Moo from PFF wrote interesting articles regarding what position you should consider drafting in the 1st round for max success.
Final result: QB&CB most successful followed by (in no particular order) WR, OT, S, iDL and Edge.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
one of the big things i really wish happened in 2019 was Tony Romo commentating on ravens games and specifically the best thing about that was just him marvelling about wink's defence and talking about the difficulty of identifying who was gonna be coming and who would be dropping at the snap and how excited he would get about that

the fact that last year's team only had romo once or twice in 2019 is ridiculous given the role the ravens were on

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
one of the big things i really wish happened in 2019 was Tony Romo commentating on ravens games and specifically the best thing about that was just him marvelling about wink's defence and talking about the difficulty of identifying who was gonna be coming and who would be dropping at the snap and how excited he would get about that

the fact that last year's team only had romo once or twice in 2019 is ridiculous given the role the ravens were on
I remember this when he did commentary on the Chiefs game in the previous season.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
now add calais campbell to it lol and imagine the ramped up awe in romo's voice if we get him this year
Let's not forget our boy Brockers too! But yes, I'll never NOT be in awe of Romo's intelligence. It'll be a fucking travesty if we have to hear more Fouts than Romo with the season we had.