• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Wink Martindale and Greg Roman

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Hey mods. Can we edit the title by removing the comma after Wink? It's slowly pissing me off. Please and thank you.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor

been a change in thought that ive agreed with for a while - not worrying about what your position is but what your role is on any given down (and where you line up)

and definitely not worry about 4-3 vs 3-4

it's twitter - what do you expect? People are crazy on social media, saying Lamar, Dobbins and Ingram gonna rush for 3000 yards.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
it's twitter - what do you expect? People are crazy on social media, saying Lamar, Dobbins and Ingram gonna rush for 3000 yards.
Exactly, I don't know why people on social media are UNDERSELLING our running game like that. 3000 yards each!

JO_75

Hall of Famer
According to Tony Pauline, there is early chatter that Wink could be in the running for the Jets Head Coaching Job if Adam Gase is fired this season. No names mentioned yet as it seem the Jets ownership is willing to ride this out with Gase barring a blowout loss to an injured Broncos team on Thursday.

Pauline noted that several people in the league have said to keep an eye on Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator Don “Wink” Martindale. Pauline said that while he’s not guaranteed the job, he will be a serious candidate.

“Remember – Martindale has been with the Ravens since 2012 and was with the Ravens when Joe Douglas (Jets GM) was there. Since 2018 as defensive coordinator in Baltimore, Martindale’s defensive units have been amongst the best in the league,” Pauline said.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/adam-gase-dan-quinn-rumors-fired-hot-seat/

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Mods, I think we can agree that Secretary of Defense Wink has his job safe unless he plans on becoming a HC. I would like to make a proactive request by changing the name of this thread to the Fire Greg Roman Thread after seeing Lamar's comments. Let's not delay the inevitable. Please and thank you.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Mods, I think we can agree that Secretary of Defense Wink has his job safe unless he plans on becoming a HC. I would like to make a proactive request by changing the name of this thread to the Fire Greg Roman Thread after seeing Lamar's comments. Let's not delay the inevitable. Please and thank you.
Lets wait and see the adjustments in the coming week and if a Fire Greg Roman thread goes up, it should be separate form this thread.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Seeing a lot from other coaches getting interview requests but haven't seen anything about Wink or Roman. Are we going to escape this offseason with both of them once again?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Seeing a lot from other coaches getting interview requests but haven't seen anything about Wink or Roman. Are we going to escape this offseason with both of them once again?
well they can't interview now but as long as we keep winning we could keep them in the fold again. I really don't want to lose either coordinator, but Wink would be the toughest to lose, imo.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
well they can't interview now but as long as we keep winning we could keep them in the fold again. I really don't want to lose either coordinator, but Wink would be the toughest to lose, imo.

I'm just more surprised requests haven't come in. Bills have them, Colts have them, Chiefs have them and they are in the playoffs. It just surprises me in the same way Bienemy in KC hasn't been a Head Coach by now. To see what Mahomes has done and for Eric to still not be a Head Coach, then you look at what Lamar has done and what our offense has done and I wonder the same about Roman.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I'm just more surprised requests haven't come in. Bills have them, Colts have them, Chiefs have them and they are in the playoffs. It just surprises me in the same way Bienemy in KC hasn't been a Head Coach by now. To see what Mahomes has done and for Eric to still not be a Head Coach, then you look at what Lamar has done and what our offense has done and I wonder the same about Roman.
supposedly Bienemy has a few requests for interviews already. I believe he's going to be a head coach but thought that the last couple years.

JO_75

Hall of Famer

well if we were worried about losing Wink, this would have been one of his potential in-house replacements

At this point, I'd say we will escape the offseason with both Wink and Roman just like last year. Incredible that this could happen again with our offense and defense playing the way it is.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor

well if we were worried about losing Wink, this would have been one of his potential in-house replacements

Iirc you said MacDonald and Hewitt are our young guys who could potentially take on the dc role.
Honestly, I hate to lose the young guys just one promotion shy of the DC position.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Iirc you said MacDonald and Hewitt are our young guys who could potentially take on the dc role.
Honestly, I hate to lose the young guys just one promotion shy of the DC position.

for what it's worth i think chris hewitt would have been the guy who took over and clear favourite for any DC role but macdonald was the other guy on the defensive staff who had a shot

hewitt's considered in some circles a rising star so if we have to keep one, he's the guy i'd prioritise

Reactions: cdp

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
for what it's worth i think chris hewitt would have been the guy who took over and clear favourite for any DC role but macdonald was the other guy on the defensive staff who had a shot

hewitt's considered in some circles a rising star so if we have to keep one, he's the guy i'd prioritise
Rapsheet just tweeted that MacDonald is going to join Michigan after the playoffs.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
At this point, I'd say we will escape the offseason with both Wink and Roman just like last year. Incredible that this could happen again with our offense and defense playing the way it is.
Roman is less surprising to me. I don't think you can just bring him in to be a HC and he can run any offense and any scheme. Like I don't see Greg Roman running a Tom Brady-led offense very well.

I think he actually could do OK with somebody like Deshaun Watson, but there's just very few situations I see out there that teams would be interested in Roman. Plus, there's like a half dozen other offensive guys who are more highly coveted right now, and only a finite number of job openings.