• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Film Breakdowns

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
nice breakdown of different coverages and how Lamar and Co. beat them

My man is like Neo from the Matrix when he said “I know Kung fu” or Goku who gets better when he loses or makes mistakes. It’s like he’s evolving every game and even every play. If he continues like this and gets even better as a passer he will be truly unbeatable. It’s remarkable what we’re doing.

the blueprint of the team is clock control using a defense tough against the run from the DL and with a strong secondary to make passing hard. That allows us to force 3&out and then Lamar uses his patented 8 minute clock chewing drives to score TD and eat clock. The difference this year is we have a true #1 RB in Ingram. I honestly think that may be the “secret” to slowing us down is to stop Ingram but even then I don’t know how we can be stopped. I’d hate to play Lamar. He seems unstoppable.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
My man is like Neo from the Matrix when he said “I know Kung fu” or Goku who gets better when he loses or makes mistakes. It’s like he’s evolving every game and even every play. If he continues like this and gets even better as a passer he will be truly unbeatable. It’s remarkable what we’re doing.

the blueprint of the team is clock control using a defense tough against the run from the DL and with a strong secondary to make passing hard. That allows us to force 3&out and then Lamar uses his patented 8 minute clock chewing drives to score TD and eat clock. The difference this year is we have a true #1 RB in Ingram. I honestly think that may be the “secret” to slowing us down is to stop Ingram but even then I don’t know how we can be stopped. I’d hate to play Lamar. He seems unstoppable.

The Texans stopped ingram inside so we just came out and passed it to him or spelled him with gus's fresh legs or lamar keeps it

The thing about this running game is schematically in key situations it puts defenders in a bind - if a defence takes away ingram then they're exposing their edge and all it takes is one tight end to make a block and suddenly lamar's loose because he makes the right read on those plays 9/10 times - and sometimes even on the 1 he reads wrong he still beats you...

the secret is that if you get lucky enough to face this offence and it starts out of rhythm then you have to do everything you can to keep it out of rhythm - the texans played the option plays really well early and got us behind the sticks and lamar missed a few throws - we get 1 drive going where we start converting 1st downs and it was game over from there - once we're in rhythm it's almost impossible to stop

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i didnt notice we went unbalanced on the qb sneak - we end up with nick boyle at the LT spot and then we put our 3 best OL next to each other on the right side - Yanda and Orlando and Stanley in that order - so lamar skoots that way on the sneak because that's where the hole is and that's where it's going to stay - good luck stopping that - yanda helps bolster the weak point on a sneak which is the centre and ronnie and orlando double team on the only guy who has a chance to stack up lamar once he moves over to the right

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
seems we go unbalanced a lot in critical situations and just dare other teams to match up to it - we basically forecast what we're about to do and then just do it anyway
I mean why not. Who could beat Yada, Brown, and Stanley anyways. It's basically saying, you cant beat us man vs man. Were just better and theres nothing you can do. Not even the 49ers great dline

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I mean why not. Who could beat Yada, Brown, and Stanley anyways. It's basically saying, you cant beat us man vs man. Were just better and theres nothing you can do. Not even the 49ers great dline

there's a 2nd unbalanced clip in that video on the 3rd and 1 late in the 4th quarter - this time we brought orlando over to play left tackle and ronnie plays left tight end with James Hurst outside him and Nick Boyle outside him

we had 5 blockers to the left of mekari at center

and on top of that we had yanda pull to the left and had ricard next to lamar in shotgun

so we had post snap 7 blockers heading to the left side of mekari

we get bozeman and mekari doubling off the snap, orlando, ronnie and hurst take a guy each and boyle decides to help hurst create some space for the pullers to get involved, ricard gets the kick-out (but kinda misses it) and yanda shoots through the gap and doesnt even really find someone to block but he dives forwards anywhere and lamar basically dives on top of him and they have a congratulatory pat and hug at the bottom of the pile

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
there's a 2nd unbalanced clip in that video on the 3rd and 1 late in the 4th quarter - this time we brought orlando over to play left tackle and ronnie plays left tight end with James Hurst outside him and Nick Boyle outside him

we had 5 blockers to the left of mekari at center

and on top of that we had yanda pull to the left and had ricard next to lamar in shotgun

so we had post snap 7 blockers heading to the left side of mekari

we get bozeman and mekari doubling off the snap, orlando, ronnie and hurst take a guy each and boyle decides to help hurst create some space for the pullers to get involved, ricard gets the kick-out (but kinda misses it) and yanda shoots through the gap and doesnt even really find someone to block but he dives forwards anywhere and lamar basically dives on top of him and they have a congratulatory pat and hug at the bottom of the pile
I saw that too but what surprised me was the the 49ers had more dline man on the other side as if they thought the run was to the opposite side. Honestly doesn't matter cause even if the defense is right Lamar and our line makes them look wrong. Its surreal to watch really.

I see analysts and coaches say well why doesn't anyone just make a b-line towards Lamar during a read option rather than guessing or freezing. All I can think is how stupid they sound and how silly Lamar would make that defender look. The guy would be flat on his face 5 yards behind him with Lamar taking off for a big run.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I saw that too but what surprised me was the the 49ers had more dline man on the other side as if they thought the run was to the opposite side. Honestly doesn't matter cause even if the defense is right Lamar and our line makes them look wrong. Its surreal to watch really.

I see analysts and coaches say well why doesn't anyone just make a b-line towards Lamar during a read option rather than guessing or freezing. All I can think is how stupid they sound and how silly Lamar would make that defender look. The guy would be flat on his face 5 yards behind him with Lamar taking off for a big run.

@Edgar spotted this with regards to the 9ers but their DL at the LoS doesnt seem to respond to motion (and by extension i guess unbalanced-ness) at all - all of their adjustments come from the 2nd level and i think this is a situation where we took advantage of it - maybe im wrong but that would be my first guess as to why they didnt adjust up front

it's the same on the sneak - the guy trying to fill the gap and attack the centre was a linebacker coming from the 2nd level