• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Film Breakdowns

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Just pausing it when he lands before throwing it is outrageous - he’s twisted like a pretzel and then basically unscrews his body by throwing off 1 leg
Screen Shot 2019-12-24 at 11.18.35 AM.png

Never mind Houdini, this guy is Baryshnikov in cleats. check out that landing!

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i think this video is interesting - not because i agree with it - i vehemently disagree with a lot of the conjecture in it (also it only takes from 2 minute drill to speculate on how you can defend against lamar for a whole game which obviously devalues the running aspect of our offence etc.)

but what's interesting is that he's pointing out moments where typically a qb needs to slide protection and look to the hot read knowing there's an overload and it looks to him like lamar's not identifying the blitzer

but when asked about that play in the presser lamar mentioned that he knew he was "hot" and that they dealt with that play how they practice it which means they are practicing these types of responses to zero cover blitzes etc.

there's a reason lamar has been the best qb in the league against blitz and zero in the last 2-3 months and its because we dont play it the same way as teams traditionally would - when there's an overload (punt rush type deal) lamar's left to deal with the free runner rather than adjusting - we trust lamar to beat the guy or get rid of the football and by leaving lamar with a free runner coming at him it leaves an open space somewhere else and if lamar can beat the rusher then he's got basically 1v1 across the board and maybe 1v0 somewhere

teams have repeatedly tried to flummox lamar by going zero and lamar has consistently beat them and i wonder if teams on tape are seeing what this guy is noting on this video that it looks like lamar is getting it all wrong and getting lucky so they throw more of it at him and yet he's consistently beating it and not just beating it but making big plays off of it

purp

Practice Squad
The Ravens scheme allows for “empty” coverage. We depend on Lamar’s athleticism to beat free rushers so that we don’t have to sacrifice a pass-catching outlet or a second level blocker.

I’m happy with takes like the one above though because they show how difficult it is to actually prepare for what we’re doing. I love the youtube jockies that think they’ve identified things that NFL coaches haven’t. There is no “answer.”

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The Ravens scheme allows for “empty” coverage. We depend on Lamar’s athleticism to beat free rushers so that we don’t have to sacrifice a pass-catching outlet or a second level blocker.

I’m happy with takes like the one above though because they show how difficult it is to actually prepare for what we’re doing. I love the youtube jockies that think they’ve identified things that NFL coaches haven’t. There is no “answer.”

It was what I found oddest about the take about how you defend Lamar because he was suggesting things that half the league already tried basing it off the browns game

There’s a reason Lamar is absolutely lethal in an empty set - naturally it means he’s got 5 men nominally on routes - it means he’s got either 1v1 across the board and a guy to worry about (likely a scramble lane though also if that extra guy isn’t a spy) and if the extra guy drops into coverage too then he’s got so much time to go through his progressions and still potentially have a rush lane

Lamar never looks hurried in empty no matter how quickly the rush comes to get him - his pocket feel since October has been awesome

RavensPPark

Practice Squad
It was what I found oddest about the take about how you defend Lamar because he was suggesting things that half the league already tried basing it off the browns game

There’s a reason Lamar is absolutely lethal in an empty set - naturally it means he’s got 5 men nominally on routes - it means he’s got either 1v1 across the board and a guy to worry about (likely a scramble lane though also if that extra guy isn’t a spy) and if the extra guy drops into coverage too then he’s got so much time to go through his progressions and still potentially have a rush lane

Lamar never looks hurried in empty no matter how quickly the rush comes to get him - his pocket feel since October has been awesome

Agree with this; particularly in regards to playing Man against Lamar. I mean JT O'Sullivan forgot more football than I ever knew even before he entered the NFL but maybe he's not used to the idea that the Ravens offense seems to be predicated on leaving guys unblocked. As someone else said above, I wouldn't be surprised if schematically, the Ravens welcomed an unblocked blitzer because that requires man coverage on the back-end, which is an easy read for Lamar, or all sorts of open real estate if the unblocked rusher can't get home.

That being said, has anyone seen any breakdowns on the Browns defense prior to the two-minute drill? I'm asking because I'm wondering if the Browns were doing anything different on defense that gave BAL's offense difficulties or was it just that BAL wasn't executing? I assume the latter because they were getting chunk plays on each of their first three drives.

However, they failed to convert a 3rd + 7 and a 4th + 3 on the first drive and a 3rd + 4 on their third drive, which over the last 10 games have been very unusual for them.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think with regards to the titans you said you couldnt really believe that they would remain that predictable and i think its pretty telling that even down the stretch on this great run they've been having their defence is still only ranked 17th in weighted DVOA

The Ravens in DVOA are number 1 on offence and number 2 on defence...

I like DVOA as a rating because of the way it weights recency over history but also adjusts for competition etc.

Good tight ends have caused them problems, and we have the best Tight End stable in the league

If we are patient as an offence and lamar gets good protection, we can move the ball at will on this defence - if the chunk play isnt there it doesnt matter because a back leaking late will be open - somebody like hayden hurst will be virtually uncoverable underneath if the big play isnt there

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think with regards to the titans you said you couldnt really believe that they would remain that predictable and i think its pretty telling that even down the stretch on this great run they've been having their defence is still only ranked 17th in weighted DVOA

The Ravens in DVOA are number 1 on offence and number 2 on defence...

I like DVOA as a rating because of the way it weights recency over history but also adjusts for competition etc.

Good tight ends have caused them problems, and we have the best Tight End stable in the league

If we are patient as an offence and lamar gets good protection, we can move the ball at will on this defence - if the chunk play isnt there it doesnt matter because a back leaking late will be open - somebody like hayden hurst will be virtually uncoverable underneath if the big play isnt there
Im also not worried about getting behind the chains or backed up by their kicking game the way I might be against an attacking defense that brings heat.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Im also not worried about getting behind the chains or backed up by their kicking game the way I might be against an attacking defense that brings heat.

teams that have done well against this offence have ironically been really good pass defences but not because of dropping numbers - the good pass defences shorten the field and lamar is at his best when he's got extra space to use (it's why i think those weather games affected the ravens negatively more than the opposing teams) - if the titans are going to leave 2 deep safeties when we're behind the chains we still might run on them but we also have the added advantage of using 4 downs more than any other team - if we are close(ish) to midfield and with less than 4 yards to go, there's a decent probability we're going for it which makes the 3rd down playcalling so much easier because prevent defence will allow us to get most of the yards back because of the "stop" but it wont be a stop because we're going for it anyway

the best way to beat an effective prevent dean pees defence is to take what he gives you and go for it on 4th down...

we have a massive coaching advantage, a massive personnel advantage, a massive scheme advantage - that should be enough - im hoping saturday is an easy day for my brain lol

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
teams that have done well against this offence have ironically been really good pass defences but not because of dropping numbers - the good pass defences shorten the field and lamar is at his best when he's got extra space to use (it's why i think those weather games affected the ravens negatively more than the opposing teams) - if the titans are going to leave 2 deep safeties when we're behind the chains we still might run on them but we also have the added advantage of using 4 downs more than any other team - if we are close(ish) to midfield and with less than 4 yards to go, there's a decent probability we're going for it which makes the 3rd down playcalling so much easier because prevent defence will allow us to get most of the yards back because of the "stop" but it wont be a stop because we're going for it anyway

the best way to beat an effective prevent dean pees defence is to take what he gives you and go for it on 4th down...

we have a massive coaching advantage, a massive personnel advantage, a massive scheme advantage - that should be enough - im hoping saturday is an easy day for my brain lol
Thanks for talking me down ;). I'll probably need it later this week...definitely getting that nervous energy building and its only Wednesday. Ha!

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Thanks for talking me down ;). I'll probably need it later this week...definitely getting that nervous energy building and its only Wednesday. Ha!

oh i mostly just did the talking for me lol - keep having to remind myself that we are objectively the better team and that this team hasnt so far had a tendency for let-down games like joe flacco iterations

but im right there with you - have to try to stop my mind from occasionally going and wondering "but what if we're not in the playoffs next week?" - im nervous - literally been burying myself in draft prospect preliminary evaluations to keep my mind off it