• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2020 WR Draft Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
another look at a wr tape, another wr i find myself really liking

justin jefferson. hes got size, length, and is a very sure and confident catcher able to snatch a ball with ease with defenders hitting him, interfering, holding, whatever, he locates the ball in an instant and against auburn ive already counted 3 times where burrow zips it early and counts on him to catch a ball most receivers wouldnt even be able to find and he caught it.

my favorite trait ive noticed he does consistently, and pairs this well with those confident tough catches, is that he REALLY challenges DBs as he sets up his route, he plays chicken with them and comes at them full steam and at the first bite he breaks and leaves the db trailing, and has the eyes and hands to locate and snag the ball, he does this beautifully to convert third downs.

highlights have shown great foot awareness near sidelines.

he also seems to have a good rapport with burrow on the "second play" and improvises very well, a huge trait for any wr whos gonna be catching passes from lamar jackson.

really strong michael thomas vibes from him, but MUCH more explosive. obviously thats a high level of praise and i probably havent watched enough to draw that conclusion, but the traits are there for sure, love how he sets up his route and gets the separation he needs and makes those strong tight catches.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I hate player comps...

100% agree - what's even more futile about player comps is that any successful wr (especially) is unlikely to actually emulate their player comp in any meaningful way

comps are only ever useful i find in terms of using examples of why a player didnt succeed in the nfl and using those traits to maybe identify why a potential draft pick might also not succeed or why they will

but otherwise i find comps basically useless

jdynamite

Ravens Ring of Honor
Saw a mock draft with KJ Hamlin going to Ravens at the bottom of the 2nd round. Sound went look at a few highlight reels. That kid is fast, love the way he attacks the ball in the air.

Also he looks like he’d be capable of taking over kick returns, haven’t seen any Punt return stuff though.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I know, when watching film on players, I'm always finding other players.

was just watching tee higgins and had to start asking myself... why does everyone love trevor lawrence - i know he was like "the phenom" last year but i really am not in love with how he's playing qb in the tape ive seen of this season so far - but i guess that doesnt really matter coz im not evaluating him yet lol but its a not dissimilar feeling to the above

rossihunter2

Staff Member
it is painful watching how limited ceedee lamb's route tree is forced to be by jalen hurts out of necessity - he's not a very refined route runner but the variety in types of route is so small with hurts at qb - had to go back and watch him with kyler just to evaluate - it felt like with hurts every other reception was a wheel route off a faked end around - you could see him on the tape getting so frustrated too

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
was just watching tee higgins and had to start asking myself... why does everyone love trevor lawrence - i know he was like "the phenom" last year but i really am not in love with how he's playing qb in the tape ive seen of this season so far - but i guess that doesnt really matter coz im not evaluating him yet lol but its a not dissimilar feeling to the above
Don't ask me, I think he is overrated. I figure he'll get smashed to IR in his first two seasons.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So far I've watched: Jefferson, Higgins, Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs III, Shenault Jr, Hamler
On my list is Donovan Peoples-Jones, Gabriel Davis, Brandon Aiyuk, Denzel Mims, Michael Pitman Jr, Jalen Reagor

Is there anyone obvious missing that I should be watching in that group?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
especially early in the season. He really started slow and although I didn't see many of his games the second half of the season, the games I saw he did look improved. I don't however see the best prospect since Andrew Luck, which is what I've heard.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
So far I've watched: Jefferson, Higgins, Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs III, Shenault Jr, Hamler
On my list is Donovan Peoples-Jones, Gabriel Davis, Brandon Aiyuk, Denzel Mims, Michael Pitman Jr, Jalen Reagor

Is there anyone obvious missing that I should be watching in that group?

Tyler Johnson, Minnesota; Sage Surratt, Wake Forest: