• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2020 WR Draft Thread

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Mims is a goddamn animal. Somehow the media considers him a 4th round type, I’d be shocked if he doesn’t go top 50, what he does well, he does REALLY well, and that particular skill set is one that will always have a place in the league
Yeah, I don't see how he stays on the board after R2. I love that guy.

Charm City

Pro Bowler
After Justin Jefferson's big game yesterday and the strong ending he's had to this season, I can't see him lasting until our pick in the second round. Would you guys be open to drafting him in the first? Seems like a little high for him but I like his height/speed, route tree, and how he runs after the catch.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
After Justin Jefferson's big game yesterday and the strong ending he's had to this season, I can't see him lasting until our pick in the second round. Would you guys be open to drafting him in the first? Seems like a little high for him but I like his height/speed, route tree, and how he runs after the catch.

wouldnt feel great about him in the 1st but there's so many receivers and a fairly wide spread in receiver-types that its not a foregone conclusion he wouldnt make it to the end of the 2nd... even if there's a run on receivers, there's no guarantee that other teams wouldnt prefer other guys over him - he's not a spectacular athlete like some of the guys who will inevitably also have 2nd round grades and they may get taken over him for their physical traits

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I'm not going to pay much attention to LSU players until DeCosta takes one in the draft.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
well so far i'd say he's pretty inconsistent - liked the bama tape, didnt like the missouri tape - should be a lot more physical than he is at the catch point and doesnt use his length well but uses his body well after the catch - inconsistent releasing off the snap - might struggle against press because of how upright he is but his height/weight/speed traits make him interesting - shows some decent understanding of how to set up corners vs off coverage with his stem and he has decent ability through contact at the top of his routes but not so great working laterally - i saw a couple of routes i really liked coming out of the slot where he had more space to use - was hard done by by awful qb play but still not sure he gets enough separation at the college level that it will translate well to the nfl necessarily

but honestly i think the boykin comp is a good one because he looks very similar as a prospect to me - not sure about the "more" bit though
He looks like a guy I would grab at the end of round three and I think a solid # two. He's much more diverse in his routes than Boykin coming out. Way more effective as a quick game receiver and way, way more of a YAC guy. He's more physical than Boykin with the ball in his hands and a better overall runner in space. he's also been consistent through four years so far as production is concerned. Terrible QB play, I agree.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He looks like a guy I would grab at the end of round three and I think a solid # two. He's much more diverse in his routes than Boykin coming out. Way more effective as a quick game receiver and way, way more of a YAC guy. He's more physical than Boykin with the ball in his hands and a better overall runner in space. he's also been consistent through four years so far as production is concerned. Terrible QB play, I agree.

it may well be partly this class that makes me less excited about him - ive graded 15 receivers all in the first 3 rounds so far which naturally would make him seem less impressive - there's a reason why EDC has said in the past that he tries never to watch 2 guys from the same position in a row when scouting/grading and its for reasons like this

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
it may well be partly this class that makes me less excited about him - ive graded 15 receivers all in the first 3 rounds so far which naturally would make him seem less impressive - there's a reason why EDC has said in the past that he tries never to watch 2 guys from the same position in a row when scouting/grading and its for reasons like this
that's very interesting. I don't remember EDC ever saying that and if it was in one of his interviews i don't remember it

rossihunter2

Staff Member
that's very interesting. I don't remember EDC ever saying that and if it was in one of his interviews i don't remember it
i think its from around the draft some time in the last 2-3 years - just an off-handed comment that i remembered because it made sense and stuck with me - at least pretty sure it was decosta (but there's a chance it could have been 1 of the other execs - i dont think it was ozzie but i guess there's a chance it was hortiz)

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Came across a WR that really stands out to me, Brandon Aiyuk from Arizona State. Big plays just seem to happen every time the ball touches his hands. He's such a good runner with athleticism and some power. Plus he seems to know how to work the middle of the field, and how to just create separate. His tape really reminds me of Deebo Samuels. Also he would be an instant fix to our punt and kick return teams.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
I really wish we could get Jerry Jeudy....thatd be dope.

Tee Higgins would fit what we need but he just drops too many passes imo. Cant think of many other big bodied pass catchers who can fill that WR1 hole for us. Hollywood is great and hes gonna be a star but hes not a WR1 outside the hash go to kinda guy. We need a contested catch guy big time

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
If we take a wr with our top pick, I’m all on board with a trade back and taking kj hamler or Justin Jefferson. Really like both of them for us.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Came across a WR that really stands out to me, Brandon Aiyuk from Arizona State. Big plays just seem to happen every time the ball touches his hands. He's such a good runner with athleticism and some power. Plus he seems to know how to work the middle of the field, and how to just create separate. His tape really reminds me of Deebo Samuels. Also he would be an instant fix to our punt and kick return teams.

yeah i worry that he drops too many balls from lack of concentration and his route running is inconsistent at best but looking purely at what he can do, he has the tools to be a dynamic weapon with the speed to really scare a defence and play off and yet he destroys off-man coverage all the time - the value in the returns is also obviously useful given our inability to have anyone effectively play that role for years now

he's so twitchy that it's hard not to imagine him developing well as a route runner

and despite all these good qualities this class is so epic he's somehow only my 9th receiver

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Given how good this class as you guys mention, would you guys be cool if we double-dipped? I'm don't want to rely on us banking on Boykin's development and Snead is what he is.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Given how good this class as you guys mention, would you guys be cool if we double-dipped? I'm don't want to rely on us banking on Boykin's development and Snead is what he is.

depends what we do in free agency but im not automatically against it - also depends what you mean by double-dip - if you mean 2 guys fairly high then that might not be possible given we likely only have 3 picks in the first 3 rounds but if you mean at all then id say its fairly likely - matt miller has i think 40 draftable wrs right now so far which would far exceed almost any year in nfl draft history for number of wrs drafted (not sure if 2014 is the most but it had 33 wrs drafted)

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
depends what we do in free agency but im not automatically against it - also depends what you mean by double-dip - if you mean 2 guys fairly high then that might not be possible given we likely only have 3 picks in the first 3 rounds but if you mean at all then id say its fairly likely - matt miller has i think 40 draftable wrs right now so far which would far exceed almost any year in nfl draft history for number of wrs drafted (not sure if 2014 is the most but it had 33 wrs drafted)
One in first two rounds, the others in round 3 or 4

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
One in first two rounds, the others in round 3 or 4
Nah, we have more pressing needs on D and in both trenches but I'd be OK with one WR in RD 1 or 2 - we missed our chance in 2014, hopefully we don't make a same mistake again.

Lot would obviously depend on how FA goes.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Would anyone be opposed to drafting Ruggs even if we already have Brown. I mean that would be a fast ass offense

Would also give us an elite return man which I think is a very underrated need on this team..