• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2020 WR Draft Thread

Charm City

Pro Bowler
I'd love to get Quintez Cephus in the middle rounds. He was the only playmaker on offense other than Johnathon Taylor for Wisconsin yet he was still able to amass almost 1,000 yards in a run-heavy offense

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Donovan Peoples-Jones is the 2nd guy ive got through that im not a big fan of albeit maybe part of that is me being resentful for having to watch shea patterson play qb
Watched a highlight of his and never bothered to watch film, if I don’t like your highlights I’m gonna stop right there lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Watched a highlight of his and never bothered to watch film, if I don’t like your highlights I’m gonna stop right there lol

its how i feel about shenault jr too (gave him a 2nd go because im seeing people tout him as a 1st round type talent) and honestly i just dont see it - he doesnt have crazy athleticism and he doesnt separate effectively on the film - i dont understand the grades that im seeing all over the "experts" reports - he's my lowest graded wr that ive studied so far

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
its how i feel about shenault jr too (gave him a 2nd go because im seeing people tout him as a 1st round type talent) and honestly i just dont see it - he doesnt have crazy athleticism and he doesnt separate effectively on the film - i dont understand the grades that im seeing all over the "experts" reports - he's my lowest graded wr that ive studied so far
I wasn’t too big on him either, he’s a RB playing WR and has real WR hands and ball tracking but he’s an average wr literally all around, suddenness and change of direction is meh, really weak route runner, good physicality and general run ability though.

reminds me a little bit of nkeal Harry, like somewhere between nkeal Harry and parris Campbell, which is a really strange thing to say but it makes sense in my head lol.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I wasn’t too big on him either, he’s a RB playing WR and has real WR hands and ball tracking but he’s an average wr literally all around, suddenness and change of direction is meh, really weak route runner, good physicality and general run ability though.

reminds me a little bit of nkeal Harry, like somewhere between nkeal Harry and parris Campbell, which is a really strange thing to say but it makes sense in my head lol.

i see what you mean with those comps tbf - he's a swiss army knife who doesnt fit the prototypical profile of a swiss army knife type player - he's someone who you hope is a chess piece you can line up all over the field to take advantage of the mismatch - my problem is i dont think there's one thing he does at a high enough level yet for that to be worthwhile because he's not enough of a mismatch

Charm City

Pro Bowler
What are your opinions on Collin Johnson from Texas around the 5th round. I see him as a hybrid WR/TE like Darren Waller. 6'6'' 220+ with an NFL training program could probably get to about 235-240. He'd be our 4th TE/red zone WR. We've been pretty lucky not to have any injuries to our TEs this season and they all get a fair amount of snaps per game.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
it's fairly clear that after that divisional round game that wr is still a need - hollywood showed up big time but we had nothing else we could rely on - either guys dropping passes or not getting open consistently enough - hollywood's only going to get better as he gets healthy and gets a full offseason and you have to hope boykin improves this offseason but willie snead will just be willie snead which is fine but if he's our number 2 receiver then we have an issue and i think we clearly have to give ourselves the ability to be explosive in the passing game also so that if a game situation occurs like the titans again that we have the firepower to get back in the game when we're forced away from the run - lamar has shown that he can go bombs away in the passing game but give him receivers that can get open consistently and he will shred a team because you know he'll make good reads and get his guys the ball

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Bryan Edwards out of South Carolina is my guy for The Ravens. He should be a Raven. he's everything Miles Boykin is supposed to be and more.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
So far I've watched: Jefferson, Higgins, Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs III, Shenault Jr, Hamler
On my list is Donovan Peoples-Jones, Gabriel Davis, Brandon Aiyuk, Denzel Mims, Michael Pitman Jr, Jalen Reagor

Is there anyone obvious missing that I should be watching in that group?
Bryan Edwards - South Carolina

rossihunter2

Staff Member
well so far i'd say he's pretty inconsistent - liked the bama tape, didnt like the missouri tape - should be a lot more physical than he is at the catch point and doesnt use his length well but uses his body well after the catch - inconsistent releasing off the snap - might struggle against press because of how upright he is but his height/weight/speed traits make him interesting - shows some decent understanding of how to set up corners vs off coverage with his stem and he has decent ability through contact at the top of his routes but not so great working laterally - i saw a couple of routes i really liked coming out of the slot where he had more space to use - was hard done by by awful qb play but still not sure he gets enough separation at the college level that it will translate well to the nfl necessarily

but honestly i think the boykin comp is a good one because he looks very similar as a prospect to me - not sure about the "more" bit though

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
well so far i'd say he's pretty inconsistent - liked the bama tape, didnt like the missouri tape - should be a lot more physical than he is at the catch point and doesnt use his length well but uses his body well after the catch - inconsistent releasing off the snap - might struggle against press because of how upright he is but his height/weight/speed traits make him interesting - shows some decent understanding of how to set up corners vs off coverage with his stem and he has decent ability through contact at the top of his routes but not so great working laterally - i saw a couple of routes i really liked coming out of the slot where he had more space to use - was hard done by by awful qb play but still not sure he gets enough separation at the college level that it will translate well to the nfl necessarily

but honestly i think the boykin comp is a good one because he looks very similar as a prospect to me - not sure about the "more" bit though
You watched Mims (Baylor)?

rossihunter2

Staff Member

yeah - really like mims - he uses his length so well, more punchy explosion which is surprising for a big guy - has shown the ability (albeit inconsistent) to beat press, raw tools to create tons of separation and has shown improved route running with each season - really crisp motion in and out of breaks etc. - really strong hands

and on top of that he's a really good and willing blocker

he's currently my 7th highest rated wr

i think bryan edwards im about to slot in at 13

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Mims is a goddamn animal. Somehow the media considers him a 4th round type, I’d be shocked if he doesn’t go top 50, what he does well, he does REALLY well, and that particular skill set is one that will always have a place in the league